Guessing: it's a filter, maintenance?

THAIPHUKET

I've got one of those, although it's blue in colour.

It's a whole house filter to clean the mud and muck that comes up from the bore in the garden.

Without it the taps, toilet valves, water heaters, etc. would soon clog up.

I backflush the tank once a month (cleans out the accumulated muck) for about 5 minutes or until the dark brown water runs clear.

The filter material, anything from gravel/sand up to more scientific stuff, needs changing every so often.

Depending on how mucky your bore water is the filters could need changing from 2 years upwards. Mine was changed after eight years, probably should have done it a couple of years earlier but my attitude is 'if it's not broke don't fix it', i.e. I tend to be lazy!

Every house in your area that is not on 'City Water' will have one, you should see large blue tanks outside premises that install them, they will also change the filter material. Anyone who does plumbing should be able to point you to the nearest blue tanker.

I note from your picture that there are only 4 taps/valves directly connected to the tank, mine has 5 so that after back flushing I can forward flush for a minute saves even a little muck coming into the house. Also, as far as I can tell from the one picture angle, a couple of the valves look to be pointed in the wrong direction, can you get a picture of the instruction sheet on the side of the tank? 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/25/2022 at 10:52 AM, Ginkas said:

I've got one of those, although it's blue in colour.

It's a whole house filter to clean the mud and muck that comes up from the bore in the garden.

Without it the taps, toilet valves, water heaters, etc. would soon clog up.

I backflush the tank once a month (cleans out the accumulated muck) for about 5 minutes or until the dark brown water runs clear.

The filter material, anything from gravel/sand up to more scientific stuff, needs changing every so often.

Depending on how mucky your bore water is the filters could need changing from 2 years upwards. Mine was changed after eight years, probably should have done it a couple of years earlier but my attitude is 'if it's not broke don't fix it', i.e. I tend to be lazy!

Every house in your area that is not on 'City Water' will have one, you should see large blue tanks outside premises that install them, they will also change the filter material. Anyone who does plumbing should be able to point you to the nearest blue tanker.

I note from your picture that there are only 4 taps/valves directly connected to the tank, mine has 5 so that after back flushing I can forward flush for a minute saves even a little muck coming into the house. Also, as far as I can tell from the one picture angle, a couple of the valves look to be pointed in the wrong direction, can you get a picture of the instruction sheet on the side of the tank? 

I'm really confused - am on city water but have one of those large cylindrical metal filter tanks as well as a large green water storage tank. Leakage yesterday resulted in my handyman telling me I need a new metal filter tank as its inside will have rusted - 13,000 baht was the quote.

Can't work out why filtration etc should be needed for town water, but can't speak Thai so can't ask the local water supplier. I'm just outside a small village in Sannameng, Sansai - advice would be very gratefully received!

Just get a blue plastic one 10 or 15 year warranty. You need a tank and pump as town pressure is useless, easy to take out the bottom bung to drain out sediment, in fact i have fitted a cock just for that purpose.

Edited by brianthainess

To do it properly, you need to take 3 × 2L bottles of your water to a City testing centre and first check your water composition and what type of filters you will need.

Some water testing places are at the universities or local Amphur will know where. ????