electricity bill in June higher?

dj230

Well I guess you can see how many units you used on the bill too but I am still clueless to why I paid so much for electric in Bangkok and CM at certain places I rented, while others with similar location / sunshine / aircon, would be much much cheaper. Down south even less, I am now only paying 1400 a month for 2 bedrooms with AC, while I used to pay like 3500-5000 in various places in BKK and CM.

So even it doubles in price I would still be fine down here, certainly gonna get solar after buying land.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, dj230 said:

this says from September though ?

It has already gone up from negative to plus in the beginning of the year.

Now it's at 0.2477 THB per unit (excl VAT) and please notice the more you use the more you pay (sliding scale). We got a 61 THB discount because we used less then previous month!

pea.JPG.af971c0fe31adc85ced50164e53c98c3.JPG

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

They did say Electric was going up. I get my bill on the 25th? of every month. Last month it was 3.300BHT This month payed it this morning was 2.550BHT I have ball parked the costs was a tad less but I rounded them up. The only thing I have done differently was have changed one of my A/C to an LG Duel Inverter. If that would make that much difference I doubt very much. So who knows. I was pleased anyway. 

26 minutes ago, dj230 said:

Got my electricity bill for June and it was significantly higher than prior months, 2500 baht vs 1500 baht and no change in use, did something change with energy prices the past month or two?

The FT has gone up a bit but not that much. Could you post a scan of your latest bill with personal stuff redacted?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Just got this months bill ......... 82 units, 327bht ($10).

Not fair! Solar mostly :whistling:

But seeing that bill means you need still more battery power ????

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Ours was 141 units 533 Baht, need more panels! (but they are silly money at present)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MJCM said:

We had a week of torrential rain this month, which is why my bill is so high.

Thinking of moving my panels so they don't go in shadow at 1:45pm.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Well I guess you can see how many units you used on the bill too but I am still clueless to why I paid so much for electric in Bangkok and CM at certain places I rented, while others with similar location / sunshine / aircon, would be much much cheaper. Down south even less, I am now only paying 1400 a month for 2 bedrooms with AC, while I used to pay like 3500-5000 in various places in BKK and CM.

So even it doubles in price I would still be fine down here, certainly gonna get solar after buying land.

You're right, I just checked, oddly measured 550 units instead of 350 units, maybe just the hotter months

And yea I agree, some places seem to have higher electricity bills, I prefer to rent a condo at more well known developers, not sure if they just have more energy efficient infrastructure or what but the bill seems to be fairly cheap (1500 baht for two AC's running 24/7 at 21-22c)

26 minutes ago, MJCM said:

It did for us when we changed the Aircon in our Condo unit. Electricity bill went half!

Aircon Inverter are expensive to buy but can save a lot on the Electric Bill, so it will be cheaper in the long run. Also get your aircon cleaned helps!

Thanks for that. I thought that my LG 12kBTU was quite cheap cost 14.5kBHT fitted. I only change it because I required a new aircon in a spare bedroom so got them to put the new one in my room and the old one in the spare room. Must say the LG is great much better than the old one. Mind you it was a tad old. Some 18 years but still plodded on. Your correct about servicing we used to get them done every 6 months now we have them done every 4 months. They work much better after being cleaned as can be run at a higher temp to get the same result. That must save as well. 

• Like 1

I'm certain the unusually high humidity and heat have something to do with it.  

Byrd Logo

How does Humidity Affect Air Conditioning and Heating

March 11, 2013

Most people know that excessive humidity can make them feel even hotter during the summer. It comes as no surprise, then, that it has a major impact on the effectiveness of air conditioning systems. What people don’t often realize is that humidity has an effect on heating systems as well. When the humidity in a home is too high or too low, achieving optimal indoor comfort is easier said than done. Today’s best HVAC systems include humidifiers and dehumidifiers that keep relative humidity levels in check.

How Humidity Affects Air Conditioning

Air conditioners cool homes by removing heat and moisture from the air. When humidity levels are excessive, they need to work a lot harder. If the equipment doesn’t have sufficient cooling capacity, it may be unable to cope with extreme humidity. As a result, the home may never feel truly comfortable.

A few common signs of high indoor humidity include:

• Moist, clammy air. In fact, your skin may feel clammy when you’re inside your home.
  • Foggy windows. This happens because humidity is vaporized water in the air. When it becomes bottled up in your home, it may fog up the windows.
  • A musty odor. Excessive humidity causes dampness around the home and can eventually lead to this unpleasant problem.

Air Conditioning Systems and Humidity

"In theory, an air conditioning system should be able to remove moisture from the air. When humidity levels spike, however, most systems can’t cope. Humidity affects air conditioning negatively because it cancels out the cooling effect. When the humidity is too high, your home will feel warmer than it actually is. You’ll have to keep your air conditioning system running but won’t derive nearly as many benefits from using it. In other words, you’ll pay more to cool your home but won’t actually cool it that effectively."

https://byrdheatingandair.com/articles/how-does-humidity-affect-air-conditioning-and-heating

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

From newspaper reports today there will be an increase in September from 4.00 to 4.72 per unit and surcharge will increase from .67 to .93 

Ouch!

19 hours ago, dj230 said:

did something change with energy prices the past month or two?

No. Lot of rubbish in the thread.

Changes if any are every four months (current Ft period is May to August incl).

And as repeatedly written significant increase announced from September.

19 hours ago, dj230 said:

2500 baht vs 1500 baht and no change in use

You need to study (or let study) the bill thoroughly.

Same use (units!), same price.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

That's what "use" is on the bill, consumption in units:

20220728_110728.jpg

If the units have gone up drastically the real research starts. What or who drains electricity?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

From newspaper reports today there will be an increase in September from 4.00 to 4.72 per unit and surcharge will increase from .67 to .93 

Surcharge is now (last months bill) at 0.2477 per unit so will increase almost 4 fold!

Ouch! I am starting to rush with our Solar install!!

pea.JPG.af971c0fe31adc85ced50164e53c98c3.JPG

On 7/27/2022 at 4:12 PM, MJCM said:

It did for us when we changed the Aircon in our Condo unit. Electricity bill went half!

Aircon Inverter are expensive to buy but can save a lot on the Electric Bill, so it will be cheaper in the long run. Also get your aircon cleaned helps!

I had brand new aircons at all the places, yet the high bills. I guess there are many factors including the heat, location etc. I remember one of my places had concrete walls that would still be hot when touching them at night.

I also once had 2 studio's in the same building, thinking the top floor unit would cost more than the 4th floor, on the same side, turned out to be wrong too. Even without any AC, the top floor one was somehow cooler. Mystery electric bills (and no there was not significant wind on the top floor one).

Always service my aircons 3 times a year too. Anyways since i'm on the islands I can do with a ventilator and the wind most days and the nights are relatively cool so the AC doesn't use too much.

My bills are now just 1400 baht a month, while we use AC each night in 2 bedrooms too. Still gonna get solar over time.

Perhaps one of the mysteries is due to the fact if you have many neighbour units using AC, it costs you less too, as the floor/ceiling/side walls are cooled down by them too.

Edited by ChaiyaTH