To Bangkok with Apathy, Indifference but Certainly no Love.

Blue Muton

They may have children, grandchildren, brothers and sisters living in Bangkok, they certainly know the damage they cause but they just do not care one iota.

This is half a kilometer from the PYB’s house and a few hundred metres from the local school and temple.

No prizes for anyone coming out with the “they don’t have a choice” line as anyone who believes that for a second is part of the problem.

The video was taken a few minutes ago in Suphanburi province.

4795500A-74CB-4D20-98D0-C302CCDD528C.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Thus Spake the Entitled Farang.

Nonsense. You're clearly part of the problem. I'd say a large number of farmers locally have stopped burning - are they "entitled"? I would say not, I'd say they were acting responsibly and those who carry on regardless just don't care, but hey, you just keep making excuses for them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

There has to be a better way of getting rid of the rice stubble, or whatever it is and I'm surprised that the government hasn't come to the aid of the farmers with some sort of rotary ploughing machine which rips the stuff up and buries it in the ground.

There is no place in the world for this massive burning which takes place, and really no excuse for it given that we are in 2022 and we are well aware of the problems with climate change and similar, not to mention the health problems that come with the smoke.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

This is the part I have trouble with...These farmers are struggling year in, year out. To stop the burning someone has to offer an alternative that doesn't worsen their burden. Easy to blame farmers from the balcony of a house that is worth the lifetime earnings of one of those poor sods.

Yes, the Government should take measures to stop it , something a bit more than putting signs up and making announcements that they intend a clamp down .

Could that not make chipboard out or the waste or something ?

29 minutes ago, xylophone said:

There has to be a better way of getting rid of the rice stubble, or whatever it is and I'm surprised that the government hasn't come to the aid of the farmers with some sort of rotary ploughing machine which rips the stuff up and buries it in the ground.

There is no place in the world for this massive burning which takes place, and really no excuse for it given that we are in 2022 and we are well aware of the problems with climate change and similar, not to mention the health problems that come with the smoke.

Costs money to plow it under.  Burning, cost of a match.

9 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

This is the part I have trouble with...These farmers are struggling year in, year out. To stop the burning someone has to offer an alternative that doesn't worsen their burden. Easy to blame farmers from the balcony of a house that is worth the lifetime earnings of one of those poor sods.

Yes, many farmers do struggle, but even among those there are many (I’d say the majority in my area) who have chosen to stop burning and those who choose to continue burning.

Rice farmers were making a fortune during Yingluk’s dodgy dealings and many could have built something similar to our humble abode if like us they don’t smoke, drink, gamble or have Mia nois. We certainly couldn’t have built it if we had <deleted>, smoked, gambled or shagged our hard earned money away.

3 minutes ago, Jerno said:

Costs money to plow it under.  Burning, cost of a match.

Add in the cost of healthcare for the affected and the tourists who avoid the area because of the pollution , it could be cost effective to plough  it under , and wouldn't that help the soil to regain nutrients ?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

Rice farmers were making a fortune during Yingluk’s dodgy dealings and many could have built something similar to our humble abode if like us they don’t smoke, drink, gamble or have Mia nois.

I Am So Good GIFs | Tenor

Edited by lopburi3