Changing Visa Type Without Leaving the Country

Hello! I'm a Myanmar citizen. I'm currently holding an ED visa and it will be expired at the end of August.

Going back to Myanmar is not an option at this time, and I'm planning to move to the US. But it seems that the visa process will take several months.

So, I would like to know that;

1. Is it possible to change an ED visa to a Tourist visa without leaving the country? 
  2. If it is impossible, which country is the best way to get a visa for Thailand. (as far as I am concerned, I could do it from Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, and Malaysia. But I don't have any confidence it went well as I'm holding a Myanmar passport) 
  3. Could you recommend any way to stay in Thailand a bit longer? 

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by BBee

1. No

2. You can apply at the countries you listed. Myanmar is not on the list of restricted countries that must apply in their home country.

The embassy in Vientiane might be the best place to apply for it. Info is here: https://thaivisavientiane.com/# 

Another advantage is that you can enter Laos and get a 14 day visa exempt entry.

3. You may be able to get another extension of stay to attend a school. What have you been studying?

• Like 2

Thanks for your detailed information. I'll try for a visa run from Laos. 

I've been studying for an MBA. I extended it from 1 year to 2 years and then another semester. I have no more credit left. 

btw, is it possible to change ED visa to Covid visa? 

5 hours ago, BBee said:

btw, is it possible to change ED visa to Covid visa?

At one time it was possible to apply for 60 day covid 19 extension of stay but since you entered with a non immigrant visa you cannot apply for one now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

At one time it was possible to apply for 60 day covid 19 extension of stay but since you entered with a non immigrant visa you cannot apply for one now.

Ah.. I get it. Thanks again for your information. I really appreciate it.