What Options for Foreign Mother to Visit Thai Son?

My girlfriend is from Laos, divorced from her Thai husband. Her son is legally Thai and in university in Thailand. She wants to visit him regularly for long periods. I see posts here about people using Savanakhet as an easy path to continue a marriage visa. Is that an option for her?  What are her options to visit her son? And what should she expect as a financial requirement? 400,000 TB in an account? And what is that visa called?  Many thanks.

51 minutes ago, marin said:

Sorry but your post seems vague. Where are you and the girlfriend living now?

I'm puzzled by your response but OK, maybe you'll be helpful. She is living in Laos. I am not currently there but do not see the relevance of my location to her visa quandary. 

• Like 1

This is for 12 month permision to stay.

2.18 In the case of being a family member of a Thai national (applicable only to parents, spouse, children, adopted children, or spouse’s children): Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.

(1) The alien must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM). (2) The alien must have proof of relationship. (3) In the case of spouse, the relationship must be de jure and de facto: or (4) In the case of children, adopted children, or spouse's children, said children, adopted children, or spouse's children must not be married, must live with the alien as part of the family, and must not be over 20 years of age except in case of the person hereof is of illness or disability and cannot live without support of father or mother: (5) In the case of parents, the father or mother must maintain an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month throughout the year or must have deposited funds of no less than Baht 400,000 to cover expenses for one year. In case the father of mother requests to be under maintenance of children, the age of father or mother must be 50 years of age or over. For other necessary cases, the Commissioner or Deputy Commissioner of Immigration Bureau is granted the authority to make decisions regarding approval on a case-by-case basis

Edited by Soda Soda

4 minutes ago, Soda Soda said:

Maybe she can get a Non Imm O Visa at Savanakhet or Vientienne

Thank you for that. Is a Non Imm O Visa what you outlined in your first response?
I was quite surprised at the age requirement.

Edited by captnhoy

6 minutes ago, captnhoy said:

Thank you for that. Is a Non Imm O Visa what you outlined in your first response?
I was quite surprised at the age requirement.

No. That was for a 12 month extension of stay at Immigration in Thailand.

There is no age requirement.

This is from the Thai Embassy in Vientianne.

Non-Immigrant "O" visas are issued to people wishing to travel to Thailand for various purposes, including:

1. Families of Thai nationals

Non-O Visa - Royal Thai Embassy in Vientiane

A single entry gives a stay of 90 days.

A Multiple Entry gives unlimited stay for 12 months of up to 90 days at a time.

Maybe Savanakhet is a better option for a multi Entry Visa.

Edited by Soda Soda
  • Like 1

For short visits, Lao citizens can get 30-day visa exempt entries (which, unlike most visa exempt entries, cannot be extended). For longer visits, a single entry Non O visa allows a stay up to 90 days. As she is Lao, it is very possible that the embassy in Vientiane will not insist on financial proof to issue the visa. For stays over 90 days, she will need a one-year extension of permission to stay for which she will need to show 400,000 baht deposited in a Thai bank account.

• Like 2

Does she plan to live in Thailand, or just visit him?

For living here, and if she doesn't plan to work, then obviously a visa / extension for having a Thai son.

But as Laos citizen she can get unlimited 30 day entries at a land border, no problem doing these back to back.

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Like 1

She will need birth certificate and similar papers from the father too, if she doesn't have those already. You also mentioned university, not sure how old he is as the limit of the visa is until 20 years old.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

9 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

She will need birth certificate and similar papers from the father too, if she doesn't have those already. You also mentioned university, not sure how old he is as the limit of the visa is until 20 years old.

There is no written age limit for a parent of a Thai to get a non-o visa or extension of stay.

• Like 2