Health insurance for O visa (retirement)

I will soon be applying for an O type visa (retirement) in the UK.  I have travel/health insurance which meets the requirement to get the visa issued.  The policy document does not specifically say it covers Covid (or any other specific illness) but I have checked with my insurance company and Covid is definitely covered (inpatient and outpatient).  Do you think such a policy will be acceptable or does it specifically have to reference Covid? Thank you in advance for all helpful advice. 

3 hours ago, OJAS said:

The specific requirement for COVID insurance was for the Thailand Pass, which has now been scrapped. So your existing policy should be OK.

Thanks OJAS I hope you are right.  What is bothering me is that the Thai London Embassy on their web site says I need - 

• Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland. Copy of health insurance that covers COVID-19 related medical expenses, both inpatient and outpatient, no less than 100,000 USD for the whole period of your stay in Thailand.

10 minutes ago, Adelphi said:

Thanks OJAS I hope you are right.  What is bothering me is that the Thai London Embassy on their web site says I need - 

Probably best to ask your insurer to include a statement that it covers covid 19 treatment.

You only need 90 days coverage for a non-o visa application since that is the length of stay it allows.

• Like 1

FWIW, I have been on Non O retirement visa for years and never asked for any health insurance.

RTE London web-site is not the most helpful for visa applications; I gave up because of endless requirements, and following some advice from this forum, I intend to enter Thailand on 30 day visa exempt and convert to Non O when in Thailand, and then on to Non O retirement extension for 1 yr.  

I did this some year ago when in Thailand, and I hope o do the same again

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Robin said:

FWIW, I have been on Non O retirement visa for years and never asked for any health insurance.

RTE London web-site is not the most helpful for visa applications; I gave up because of endless requirements, and following some advice from this forum, I intend to enter Thailand on 30 day visa exempt and convert to Non O when in Thailand, and then on to Non O retirement extension for 1 yr.  

I did this some year ago when in Thailand, and I hope o do the same again

Thanks Robin I am aware of that option.  I don't think it is London who do the processing.  As I understand it, it is a web based system which processes and issues the visas for every country.  The downside with your suggestion is that you then need an onward or return flight to guarantee that your airline will board you.  I know some say the risk is low if you don't have an onward ticket etc. but I just don't like sailing close to the wind.  

5 minutes ago, Adelphi said:

The downside with your suggestion is that you then need an onward or return flight to guarantee that your airline will board you.  I know some say the risk is low if you don't have an onward ticket etc. but I just don't like sailing close to the wind.  

You can use a one way ticket to anywhere to meet the onward ticket requirement that the airline might ask for. You can also get a temporary onward ticket online for about $15 (search for onward ticket and you will find many sites offering them).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Adelphi said:

The downside with your suggestion is that you then need an onward or return flight to guarantee that your airline will board you.

You could buy cheapest throw away ticket on the spot. Approx 1500baht or purchase "rent a ticket" from one of companies on net.

Google onward flight approx $15 USD.

Edit: posted just after uj

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1