Workshop Machinery & Tools

I'm looking for a decent supplier of tools and workshop machinery.

Woodwork and metalwork.

Nakhon Sawan - our nearest major town.

Also how do availability prices and quality compare to Oz?

I've noticed the local tradesman seem to manage with the bare minimum

of tools. Using handsaws and hammer and nails, perhaps a small electric drill.

I'm looking for a decent supplier of tools and workshop machinery.

Woodwork and metalwork.

Nakhon Sawan - our nearest major town.

Also how do availability prices and quality compare to Oz?

I've noticed the local tradesman seem to manage with the bare minimum

of tools. Using handsaws and hammer and nails, perhaps a small electric drill.

Chinatown, BKK. Imported tools are more expensive than in Europe (no idea how that compares to Australia), locally manufactured ones are cheaper but crappy quality.

If you want something specific/know what you want I bet you can ask your local hardware store if they can order from BKK.

I bought most of my shop equipment from Tool Pro in Udon Thani. Mostly imported stuff, MIG welder from Italy drill press from Taiwan etc. My power hacksaw was back ordered. I happened to be at a shop where I buy steel and they had one identical to what I had ordered. I asked about it and was asked if I wanted one like it. I asked how much and the price was about a third less than the one from Tool Pro. I canceled the one from Tool Pro and ordered it there. No problems.

Thanks for the tips.

I've just had a look at the Triton 2000 workcentre at Bunnings in Perth.

With most of the attachments and accessories it comes to about $3500.

That includes:

TRITON WORKCENTRE 2000 Table

Bevel Ripping Guide

Dust Bag - Workcentre

Dust Collector

Maxi - Sliding Extension Table

Retractable Wheel Kit

Router Mounting Plate

Workcentre Training Video

Router Table

Biscuit Joiner

Finger Jointer

I just missed out on a second-hand one described "as new" with all the above gear

going for $1600. (55% of new price)

However it was without the basic Triton circular saw which is worth $299.

Evidently Triton have been taken over by GMC although they are still marketed as Triton.

There are several Triton user clubs in Oz and even one in Japan.

I know you can buy a professional cast iron table saw for about $1200 but the Triton

work centre does a lot more. Also the Triton is fairly light and transportable.

Just a note of caution, I offered to buy a table mounted saw/buzzer for my handyman for making teak door and window frames, his reply "cannot,police come".

I have since looked at several largish manufacturing concerns where Makita planers and ripsnorters only are used,evidentally bench tools require special permits the same as chain saws.

There is a soi in Bangkok called Soi Furniture. There are all kinds of wood suppliers along with furniture and several tool shops. I saw bandsaws, tablesaws, planners, joiners, drill presses etc. I was a 'buyer' and there was no mention of any licenses required or notification to any organization.

I have seen several "carpenters", craftsmen in this area using homemade tablesaws etc. Power saws are sold in all the big box stores, again no sign of needing permits etc.

All towns of any size what-so-ever have machine shops, I would imagine they will know where to buy new/used equipment for both wood and metal working.

Bt

There is a soi in Bangkok called Soi Furniture. There are all kinds of wood suppliers along with furniture and several tool shops. I saw bandsaws, tablesaws, planners, joiners, drill presses etc. I was a 'buyer' and there was no mention of any licenses required or notification to any organization.

I have seen several "carpenters", craftsmen in this area using homemade tablesaws etc. Power saws are sold in all the big box stores, again no sign of needing permits etc.

All towns of any size what-so-ever have machine shops, I would imagine they will know where to buy new/used equipment for both wood and metal working.

Bt

Btate - any more detail on where Soi Furniture is located? Main street near by, etc?

Thanks

Somtham

From the Ms' description.

Bang Po, Soi Prachaw Na lu met , is the best I can come up with as a transliteration.

It is 'across' the river. Most taxi drivers know the area, there are tons of shops in

the area.

Sorry but best I can do.

bt

EDIT: The soi is about 1 Km long and runs between two major streets

Edited by btate

Somtham

From the Ms' description.

Bang Po, Soi Prachaw Na lu met , is the best I can come up with as a transliteration.

It is 'across' the river. Most taxi drivers know the area, there are tons of shops in

the area.

Sorry but best I can do.

bt

EDIT: The soi is about 1 Km long and runs between two major streets

Maybe the wood street in Bang Po / Bang Paw, Nonthaburi, also mentioned in this thread..?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...t&p=1372089

Just a note of caution, I offered to buy a table mounted saw/buzzer for my handyman for making teak door and window frames, his reply "cannot,police come".

I have since looked at several largish manufacturing concerns where Makita planers and ripsnorters only are used,evidentally bench tools require special permits the same as chain saws.

You do not need a permit to own bench tools. You do need a license from the forest department to process wood.