Beware! Blocking An Ambulance Carries Heavier Penalty Than You Think

webfact

image.jpeg

by TNR Staff

MOTORISTS should be careful to give way to an ambulance as not doing so and this leading to the patient dying could lead to a murder charge under Section 79 of the Land Traffic Act, TV Channel 7 said today (July 30).

The warning was issued after a young woman driving on the far right lane of a road blocked an ambulance’s way with this leading to the patient being rushed to the hospital dying.

Crime Suppression Division police had on December 5, 2018 published a warning about such obstruction leading to a murder charge under the headline, “Intentionally not dodging an ambulance carrying a patient. Beware of murder charge!!”

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2022/07/30/beware-blocking-an-ambulance-carries-heavier-penalty-than-you-think/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2022-08-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 2

Well, cops are in for heavy fines as I have seen them, more than on one occasion ignoring the sirens to let a motorcade go by

Of course, here, people are not used to throw their vehicles on the side to allow  passage to the ambulances ( or even cops'cars) 

• Sad 2

In this country you can see so many so called Ambulances on the roads because many organizations who are not hospitals or an emergency ones are just designating vans to look like an ambulances some are just cruising with passengers and others with lights fleshing sirens and all...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Shame they need to threaten drivers over this issue.

Just shows how selfish most Thai drivers can truly be.

Now get out the way, 

Your not more important than a  dying person.

Edited by Orinoco
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Shame they need to threaten drivers over this issue.

Just shows how selfish most Thai drivers can truly be.

Now get out the way, 

Your not more important than a  dying person.

Years ago we used to get the VIP/Royal motorcades driving around and all traffic was halted when they wanted to drive through, major roads like Sukhumvit were blocked  to prevent entry and cleared. The police could really get their act together for these things.... and lowly people had to wait a long time for them to whiz through at high speed....

Angry little sods the local drivers.....

• Like 2

I don't know if its selfishness, inexperience, or just petrified by those flashing lights and sirens coming up behind.

Its almost an automatic reaction in me now to move out of the way or pull over for an emergency vehicle with lights and sirens going. Be it police, fire engine or ambulance.

42 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I don't know if its selfishness, inexperience, or just petrified by those flashing lights and sirens coming up behind.

Its almost an automatic reaction in me now to move out of the way or pull over for an emergency vehicle with lights and sirens going. Be it police, fire engine or ambulance.

Although we do seem to get flashing lights on a lot of other vehicles here too.... even the odd cheeky foreigner. 

but it happens often, at least once a year I read about it (and I don't follow crime/sensational news).

just a few months ago on phuket some mercedes driver was on purpose slowing down an ambulance. Fined 500b.

A year ot two ago it was a senior hospital worker, I think a doctor, who blocked an ambulance on a motorway in bkk.

Drivers do behave that way, because there is very little penalty involved  

MURDER is not fair/just/correct, because the driver's action did not kill the patient.

Manslaughter or a similar charge could be fair though.

Problem #1 = drivers in Thailand aren't conditioned to act on sirens from behind, and there's often nowhere for them to get out of the way to. Especially when self-entitled idiots drive in the 'hard shoulder' lane on expressways

Problem #2 = so-called ambulance drivers often use the lights and sirens when it's not necessary, and even local Somchais fit them to their private vehicles. This is where the punishment should be directed.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

MOTORISTS should be careful to give way to an ambulance as not doing so and this leading to the patient dying could lead to a murder charge

total nonsense

but people should always make best efforts to safely get out of the way

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

In this country you can see so many so called Ambulances on the roads because many organizations who are not hospitals or an emergency ones are just designating vans to look like an ambulances some are just cruising with passengers and others with lights fleshing sirens and all...

Please substantiate this claim. It sounds like absolute nonsense.