Buying new or used car

22 minutes ago, transam said:

Farangs do not pay extra for motoring stuff, but it is the norm for women here to have everything in their name to brag to their friends, sell or borrow money on the ride using the blue book...

So, use your name, it will be yours till you kick the bucket....????

It is that, that may concern her.

Transferring the blue book into her name from a dead Farang is more work than having it in her name from the start.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, transam said:

Farangs do not pay extra for motoring stuff, but it is the norm for women here to have everything in their name to brag to their friends, sell or borrow money on the ride using the blue book...

So, use your name, it will be yours till you kick the bucket....????

Thanks. I'm aware!!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

My wife now says that a friend has told her it is best to buy the car and register it in her name because foreigners have to pay much higher taxes.

Oh no.....   either the Wife is being greedy or she’s gullible and believes everything her friends tell her.

At least you are sensible enough to ask on here rather than rely on the information from the wife’s friend....  

Your wife will have to learn not to believe the stupid BS coming from her friends who are obviously uneducated and just make stuff up... 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bolt said:

Please remember

Happy life = Happy wife 

I think you are wrong, once they get away with an inch, they try for the yard, if they don't get the yard, you are back to square one...????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, transam said:

I think you are wrong, once they get away with an inch, they try for the yard, if they don't get the yard, you are back to square one...????

That purely depends on the individual with whom our life is being shared. 

There is a whole spectrum of attitudes out there from the money-grabbers, to the security-seekers to those who genuinely have no ulterior motive other than genuine care, respect, love etc... 

Personally, I have no issues with both the house and car in my Wife’s name, its just easier that way. 

While both my Wife and I had cars, my car was in my name, her’s in her name - it was easier that way. 

But, IF someone’s Wife is quoting incorrect regulations or reasons that her friends have told her I’d wonder why she is discussing such things with her friends in the first place. I’d wonder what the motive is of her friends to provide her with obviously wrong advice, unless they to have been told such news incorrectly and its become ‘urban myth’ among their individual community (as things sometimes are on this forum). 

First wife, car was in my name, as she didn't pass the test of time yet ... and failed miserably, so good call by me.  Same with usufructs & POA, handy tools for security & investing here.

Present wife, I trust, and usufruct is level of security if she suddenly passed before me.  Though daughter's name will be on land also before the year is out, hopefully.

58 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Oh no.....   either the Wife is being greedy or she’s gullible and believes everything her friends tell her.

Was it the wife's idea, or her imaginary friend who she can claim 'plausible deniability' on.

Time to reassess relationship ... ????

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

That purely depends on the individual with whom our life is being shared. 

There is a whole spectrum of attitudes out there from the money-grabbers, to the security-seekers to those who genuinely have no ulterior motive other than genuine care, respect, love etc... 

Personally, I have no issues with both the house and car in my Wife’s name, its just easier that way. 

While both my Wife and I had cars, my car was in my name, her’s in her name - it was easier that way. 

But, IF someone’s Wife is quoting incorrect regulations or reasons that her friends have told her I’d wonder why she is discussing such things with her friends in the first place. I’d wonder what the motive is of her friends to provide her with obviously wrong advice, unless they to have been told such news incorrectly and its become ‘urban myth’ among their individual community (as things sometimes are on this forum). 

My attitude is, best be safe than sorry "later", as previously, in the UK, I learned the honeymoon period does not last forever....????

24 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Was it the wife's idea, or her imaginary friend who she can claim 'plausible deniability' on.

Time to reassess relationship ... ????

My Mates wife is respectable lady, caring and loyal, an accountant.... 

But she’s also as dumb as a post, the worst part is, she has no idea she’s dumb... So she comes out with the outrageously stupid facts and ’things' that she hears from her friends or grew up believing from her mum and tries to pass these tidbits off as real....  

She never questions her thoughts or what her friends tell her,  but seems to have this underling distrust of men that we are trying to ‘put one over on her’ all the time...   its only when we highlight the flaw in her comments that she (sometimes) recognises her friends or mother were well wide of the mark !!!... 

No ulterior motive, no need to reassess relationships etc...  but she’s just naive and dumb without having any idea she’s naive and dumb !!!!

The Ops Wife could simply be believing what her friends tell her.... if she trusts her husband once he’s corrected her, then there is no issue. If she doesn’t and trusts her friends more than her husband then of course there is an issue...  

It all of course depends whether there is any motive for the ‘misinformation’ innocent ignorance or greed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

My Mates wife is respectable lady, caring and loyal, an accountant.... 

But she’s also as dumb as a post, the worst part is, she has no idea she’s dumb... So she comes out with the outrageously stupid facts and ’things' that she hears from her friends or grew up believing from her mum and tries to pass these tidbits off as real....  

She never questions her thoughts or what her friends tell her,  but seems to have this underling distrust of men that we are trying to ‘put one over on her’ all the time...   its only when we highlight the flaw in her comments that she (sometimes) recognises her friends or mother were well wide of the mark !!!... 

No ulterior motive, no need to reassess relationships etc...  but she’s just naive and dumb without having any idea she’s naive and dumb !!!!

The Ops Wife could simply be believing what her friends tell her.... if she trusts her husband once he’s corrected her, then there is no issue. If she doesn’t and trusts her friends more than her husband then of course there is an issue...  

It all of course depends whether there is any motive for the ‘misinformation’ innocent ignorance or greed.

When I bought my first car in LOS Mrs.T and I went to the police station to ask about a residency letter, the lady cop said...

"Why do you want the car in your name, she can have it in her name". They both looked at me with open eyes.....I said..

"Because all my cars have been in my name"......????

• Like 1

Had over $500k worth of cars in the wife's name so far. My rationale:

• staying below the radar, in general - who knows where the info on ownership goes?
  • she gets the speeding fines
  • I don't buy cars that cost a significant portion of my income, so could take the loss

You can read between the lines there but mostly, the Thai govt and me should have as loose a relationship as possible. 

On 8/5/2022 at 2:08 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

Once they get the car in their name it is not unusual for them to disappear with the car.

An expensive way of getting rid of the wife!

That is the cheapest way to get rid of a wife. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your helpful comments even if some went on to speculate as to my wife's motives and those of her friend.

As usual a Thai urban myth perpetuated and applied to inexperienced foreigners, whatever the motivation behind it. I fell for it the first time 10 years ago and that car was put in wife's  name. That created serious discord with her family, not her, when I wanted to sell that car and return with wife to Europe in August 2020 during the Covid lockdowns and severe travel restrictions, thinking back then I/we might never return.

It is as I thought ( I've learned alot!). So, armed with the necessary residence certificate from Immigration I bought a car yesterday to be registered in my name.

As to that myth, and being kind to Thais who believe it, it may be that it stems  from the very high Thai import customs duty applied to all imported foreign built cars, rather than on foreign built foreigners!

• Thanks 1