Motorbike New/usedor Parts/accessories Import From Neighbouring Country

Thanh-BKK

Hello :o

Question here: I drive an old Yamaha RXZ, a 135cc two-stroke. Those have not been sold in Thailand after 1995, and spare parts are getting rare, accessories are totally unavailable and decent service is impossible to get as Yamaha-dealers prefer to sell me one of those all-plastic automatic toys.

I found that in Malaysia, the RXZ is still available since Yamaha actually still makes this model, and the 2007 generation is even outfitted with a catalytic converter (yes it's still the same 135cc two stroke engine but now with six gears). Also there are plenty of accessories for this bike around in Malaysia.

Now is it possible for a private person to import a whole motorbike (either a new one or a second-hand not-too-old one) from there? How about "serious" spare parts such as an entire engine or exhaust, wheels etc? I always read about "ASEAN" stuff and lower import duties from such countries, but that's for dealers i understand. I haven't found a Yamaha dealer that would import one for me :D

The RXZ sold in Malaysia is "Made In Malaysia" tough they also have "Made In Japan" which cost more but has more power.

Last, i know it's not legal, but how about driving my old RXZ into Malaysia, buying a new one, and change frame/engine numbers to mine old one, then coming back? After all it's still an RXZ and wasn't stolen either. I could even use my old '94 original frame since they have not been changed at all during the years, only the plastic parts have changed (look). But thing is, my frame is broken and that's why i am interested in such "deal" (and tell the guy at the border "well, complete overhaul").

Kind regards....

Thanh

I would do as you plan , but don't tell anyone, go to Malaysia and change everything out. The border doesn't care as long as the numbers match, they don't even look normally. Just remember that when the bike goes for a registration renewal in Thailand they place some paper tape over the frame number and rub it with a pencil to get the "shape of the numbers" allowing forgeries and changes to be found.These are kept somewhere?? for reference?? In Thailand the Green Book for motorcycles is based on the Frame number, you can change an engine number if you have a customs paid engine to put in a frame.If the frame and engine number is the same nobody will know or care.They don't take picture or anything as you leave. Ideally get the old numbers stamped /transferred to the new bike exactly the same and dump/sell the old bike in Malaysia.Might be better to work with a bike shop rather than a dealer.It's no doubt illegal but it doesn't hurt anyone.

Hello :o

Question here: I drive an old Yamaha RXZ, a 135cc two-stroke. Those have not been sold in Thailand after 1995, and spare parts are getting rare, accessories are totally unavailable and decent service is impossible to get as Yamaha-dealers prefer to sell me one of those all-plastic automatic toys.

I found that in Malaysia, the RXZ is still available since Yamaha actually still makes this model, and the 2007 generation is even outfitted with a catalytic converter (yes it's still the same 135cc two stroke engine but now with six gears). Also there are plenty of accessories for this bike around in Malaysia.

Now is it possible for a private person to import a whole motorbike (either a new one or a second-hand not-too-old one) from there? How about "serious" spare parts such as an entire engine or exhaust, wheels etc? I always read about "ASEAN" stuff and lower import duties from such countries, but that's for dealers i understand. I haven't found a Yamaha dealer that would import one for me :D

The RXZ sold in Malaysia is "Made In Malaysia" tough they also have "Made In Japan" which cost more but has more power.

Last, i know it's not legal, but how about driving my old RXZ into Malaysia, buying a new one, and change frame/engine numbers to mine old one, then coming back? After all it's still an RXZ and wasn't stolen either. I could even use my old '94 original frame since they have not been changed at all during the years, only the plastic parts have changed (look). But thing is, my frame is broken and that's why i am interested in such "deal" (and tell the guy at the border "well, complete overhaul").

Kind regards....

Thanh