Large number of hookahs confiscated at Pattaya restaurants after reportedly being sold to foreign tourists

webfact

image.jpeg

By Nop Meechukhun

Banglamung, Chonburi – Police raided two restaurants in the Banglamung district in the early hours of this morning, August 7th, and confiscated a large number of hookahs that were reportedly illegally sold to the customers.

The search was conducted at Aisha Lebanon and Mo Salah & Asma Coffee Shop located in Soi Marine/Soi 16 in South Pattaya, Nong Prue Subdistrict, following the search warrant of the Pattaya Provincial Court after the establishments were reportedly operating as restaurants while discreetly selling illegal hookahs (shisha) to a large number of foreign tourists.

A hookah smoking substance was first found at Mo Salah & Asma Coffee Shop and more than 11 hookahs and additional equipment and substances were discovered on the rooftop of Aisha Lebanon restaurant. More unactivated hookahs were also found lying near the door of the nearby shop.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/08/07/large-number-of-hookahs-confiscated-at-pattaya-restaurants-after-reportedly-being-sold-to-foreign-tourists/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-08-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

The Arabs making headlines again. 

Couldn't get the backhanders based on alcohol or dancing girls.... really, talk about harassment..... getting a buzz on before they raced motorcycles around the streets. 

• Like 2

I have seen these being used in bars, in Jomtien and Pattaya, depends on how much the police get paid to look the other way !

Whenever the police from Bangkok come the local police warn all the bars to be "careful"

The bar/restaurant was selling sisha,s to foreigners maybe to take home not to be used in thailand I did not know that was illegal to sell them.What about a private home  in pattaya can you use them  for decoration or private use in the home.

They have made marijuana legal to grow or smoke now so why the problem with selling sisha,s

Edited by bristolgeoff

8 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Hookahs were made illegal years ago during the Purachai purge under Thaksin iirc. 

Another law that is selectively enforced. 

My guess that they were illegal many years before but under Thaksin many many very old and outdated laws was enforced, like the Alcohol selling hours law with a 2pm-5pm break.

13 hours ago, JayBird said:

Let me get this straight:

Marijuana: Legal

Hookah:  Illegal

Actually neither are legal to smoke in public. Unfortunately that doesn't stop anyone. I wish they enforced this law better because hookahs have become a huge nuisance and health hazard in most nightclubs - you simply cannot escape the smoke. I'm in favor of businesses running as they please and patrons voting with their legs/wallet - but in this particular case non-smokers have no other option if all venues are full of hookahs.

On 8/8/2022 at 6:58 PM, JayClay said:

They're not

I dare you to find one big nightclub on bangla road in Phuket that isn't full of shisha smoke. Yes- you could go to a smaller nightclub that has no people and therefore no smoke, but that kind of defeats the purpose.

In Bangkok I can think of a few clubs that have non-smoking sections, but that doesn't exist in Phuket or Pattaya AFAIK.

On 8/11/2022 at 2:37 AM, PingRoundTheWorld said:

I dare you to find one big nightclub on bangla road in Phuket that isn't full of shisha smoke. Yes- you could go to a smaller nightclub that has no people and therefore no smoke, but that kind of defeats the purpose.

In Bangkok I can think of a few clubs that have non-smoking sections, but that doesn't exist in Phuket or Pattaya AFAIK.

I mean you've kind of answered your own question... The places exist and you *still* don't want to use them because they're empty.