Why so many holidays in Thailand?

bob smith

does the government realize that there are only 365 days in a year? seems every year they keep adding more holidays for the already (in my opinion) lazy populace.

how can the thai economy grow if you keep giving its workforce holidays for this and that??

just today they are talking about announcing another 2 days off in november for some meeting or summit or whatever.

it's getting beyond a joke now. make them work overtime instead of handing out holidays like birthday presents, Thailand will get seriously left behind otherwiSE! 

Japan, Vietnam, Singapore will leave them for dust soon enough! 

• Like 1

"Thailand officially observes 23 national holidays and several religious observances. Buddhism is the predominant religion, practiced by over 98 percent of Thai citizens. The majority of traditional holidays are based on Buddhist culture and beliefs."

Cambodia has the most public holidays in the world, celebrating 29 in 2019. That's followed by Sri Lanka which has 26 public holidays 9 in 2019. Then it's India, which recognises 21 public holidays, followed by Colombia, the Philippines, Trinidad and Tobago's 18 days off

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

"Thailand officially observes 23 national holidays and several religious observances. Buddhism is the predominant religion, practiced by over 98 percent of Thai citizens. The majority of traditional holidays are based on Buddhist culture and beliefs."

Cambodia has the most public holidays in the world, celebrating 29 in 2019. That's followed by Sri Lanka which has 26 public holidays 9 in 2019. Then it's India, which recognises 21 public holidays, followed by Colombia, the Philippines, Trinidad and Tobago's 18 days off

just look at that list haha. all underdeveloped, struggling economys. No wonder if nobody is ever at work!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Aforek said:

Public holidays, may be, but for "not working days ", how many week ends ( two days not working days ) in your country ? : 52 *2 = 104 days 

in Thailand ? 52 * 1 = 52 days ; and summer holidays ? 4  to 5 weeks a year in farang land : Thailand ? maybe one week 

all in all, many more not working days  in our countries than in Thailand 

Annual leave is 10 days per year per Thai Labor Laws.

@bob smith Just for you to have an opportunity to open another topic of no meaning with lack of real facts.

As @Aforek posts above, they do not have 2 free days per week, but only 1. That would make your distinguished country have 52 more lazy days a year already.

Moreover, it´s only government employees that will get advantage of all holidays that they add, as other normal employees in the private sector will have to work, and only have up to maybe 15 days per year. Also, they will not have 4-5 weeks paid vacation per year. Who is the lazy ones now!

• Like 2

The government sets the official holidays and additional bridging holidays.

Most Thais work hard and long hours for not much reward and so public holidays and additional bridging ones set by government would be welcome to them.

Comments about the people being lazy is a strange way of criticizing ones welcoming hosts.

Edited by userabcd

3 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

As @Aforek posts above, they do not have 2 free days per week, but only 1. That would make your distinguished country have 52 more lazy days a year already.

Many  companies the staff are union members and the unions typically push (and get) 5 day weeks under an EBA.

Edited by Ralf001

8 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

I must admit that it does feel like our grandson rarely does a full, Monday to Friday week at school. 

Gotta agree there. I've got 3 kids and there's barely a week goes by when they complete a full Monday to Friday.

14 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I went to Ko Chang in June and made the mistake of going on a public holiday. Miles long lines to get to the boat and then for Thais returning they got the same thing on the Sunday. For thais 3 day holiday with 2 days stuck in car. Note to Bob: Don't go to Koh Chang on a public holiday.

so thats how bob o found that old guy slippin...i mean sleeping. 

10 minutes ago, stoner said:

so thats how bob o found that old guy slippin...i mean sleeping. 

think he found the slapper in a Pattaya bar and then travel to Koh Changy..... well in his mind anyways... lad defo trolling and most likely not even in Thailand !!

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Many  companies the staff are union members and the unions typically push (and get) 5 day weeks under an EBA.

Nice try! Unfortunately, that is not the harsh reality. I am pretty sure an initiated guy like you, will know that most employers, are outside the system. Neither connected to the union or provide government security and also not connected to the Thai revenue office.

It´s only the big 10 x multimillion baht companies that are registered that way. Ok some of the small ones to, but very few.

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

how can the thai economy grow if you keep giving its workforce holidays for this and that??

Smithy, is it ok if I call you Smithy, I feel like we're almost friends. Keep entertaining the local lasses and the economy will take care of itself, they've been doing this for 2565 years, they've got a method, Bob.

• Haha 1

This complaint is usually by a parent.  Listen, your kid isn't learning anything at school anyhow.  7 days a week, or 1.  It's up to the parent in Thailand to educate their kids.  Especially if a falang.  This is a red flag that says, "yup, should've sent your kid to a school in falangland." I wouldn't blame Thailand, education is last on the list of things to do.  

you have October and April (forget, maybe not April but around there) off if you're a student.

That means small cities lose THOUSANDS of kids with money buying stuff every day.  small stuff, but it adds up and helps the local economy.   I don't think their parents give them the same amount of money if back home.

Remember, the falang never sleeps.  No holiday for the falang.  The falang has money.  So, the tourist places are open for the falang during these "holidays."

you want a massage during these holidays, OK.

Pattaya is open 24/7

Edited by Iamfalang