17%

I hate it.

I don't mind paying the higher price including tax, but it should be clear from the beginning and already incorporated into the price.

Pet peeve is when they quite obviously try to make the writing as small as possible

"subject to 10% service charge and 7% government tax."

I find more and more that most restauarants either don't give the "service charge" to the staff at all, or they use it towards salaries, so they avoid paying it out of there own pockets. I never know whether the staff is getting my tips or some fatcat owner.

I've also heard that the VAT charge being added on to the bill is actually against the law, but I don't know it for a fact.

BOTH should be illegal. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I hate it.

I don't mind paying the higher price including tax, but it should be clear from the beginning and already incorporated into the price.

Pet peeve is when they quite obviously try to make the writing as small as possible

"subject to 10% service charge and 7% government tax."

I have never once been surprised by those numbers .. and I have always seen it printed. But really ... going into a fine dining restaurant (or even oishi :o it does not surprise me at all