What are these birds?

On 8/9/2022 at 9:02 PM, Kenny202 said:

They look like lovebirds (peach faces) to me, and theyre not native to Thailand. They also look to developed to be nesting. Are you sure they fell out of a nest? Looks like someones pets escaped

It seems the gf may have been lying to me and they fell out of a shop at Chatuchak market rather than out of a tree. All the previous pet parakeets bought for the granddaughter have died due to lack of proper care, so I said "No more." But as usual the gf just does whatever she wants...

Anyway, thanks for the info, everyone.

• Haha 2

That's gold hahaha, nearly fell on me chair laughing lol. Reminds me of my first missus here. Saying no was like a red rag to a bull. I remember after two years her saying..."so when you say no, you mean no right?" like she had just understood the concept. They all seem to be a little (or a lot) contrary. Sometimes seem to go out of their way to do the wrong or illogical thing. 

By the way you can't just give them seed but they are pretty hardy and easy to look after. Sweet little guys too. Can buy a special seed mix and pet shop....and as well as that fruit and veg....they are a tropical bird so anything fruit / sweet like mango, longan, corn, broccoli, Cauli, ....try them on most things you'll soon know what they like. Other than that clean freshwater every day and try nd keep their cage nice and clean. 

Edited by Kenny202
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

No, not at all. My mum had lovebirds...always had one. Need a lot of attention though, but not as much as Conures 5555

Interesting, thanks for that.

The Conures i have are like dogs, they want to go out for a look around each day, good at sleeping ince covered tho.

On 8/11/2022 at 1:24 PM, Kenny202 said:

That's gold hahaha, nearly fell on me chair laughing lol. Reminds me of my first missus here. Saying no was like a red rag to a bull. I remember after two years her saying..."so when you say no, you mean no right?" like she had just understood the concept. They all seem to be a little (or a lot) contrary. Sometimes seem to go out of their way to do the wrong or illogical thing. 

By the way you can't just give them seed but they are pretty hardy and easy to look after. Sweet little guys too. Can buy a special seed mix and pet shop....and as well as that fruit and veg....they are a tropical bird so anything fruit / sweet like mango, longan, corn, broccoli, Cauli, ....try them on most things you'll soon know what they like. Other than that clean freshwater every day and try nd keep their cage nice and clean. 

Right. I believe the last bird was a green-cheeked parakeet. I don't live with the gf since she's such a witch, and she eventually bought it the wrong food (for a bigger parrot) and it died clearly in great pain. 

16 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

They are not lovebirds.  They are 100 percent these ..

Pacific parrotlets

https://www.beautyofbirds.com/pacificparrotlets.html

I used to breed these as a hobby. The wild coloured ones are light green.  You have the blue morph.  

They are domesticated captive bred pet birds.  

You were lied too.  

If they caused the death of other pet parakeets due to neglect then you should either take care of the poor bird yourself or re home it...otherwise it's just animal abuse and cruelty.

Also please get it a much larger cage if you plan to let them keep it....and have a quick look at their care on the net ...they need more than a seed diet to stay healthy.  

I have no say in what the gf does. If I withhold money she just borrows it or spends what she has and then tells me the granddaughter has nothing to eat! 

I have tried to stay away from the birds to show my disapproval but a previous parakeet bit off all its tail feathers out of frustration, a small cage and lack of attention. I got a big cage and toys for it but by then it was biting everyone, hard, and died soon after. Then again after i said "no more" they bought a ring-necked parakeet which wasn't affectionate or active (as is normal for the species), rarely uttered any sound, became afraid of humans and then died. The gf just does not get that a bird is not a toy to pull out of the box when the kid has free time. They need a LOT of attention and proper care. Anyway, I told her the ghosts of all these dead birds will come back to haunt her... 

24 minutes ago, orientalist said:

I have no say in what the gf does. If I withhold money she just borrows it or spends what she has and then tells me the granddaughter has nothing to eat! 

I have tried to stay away from the birds to show my disapproval but a previous parakeet bit off all its tail feathers out of frustration, a small cage and lack of attention. I got a big cage and toys for it but by then it was biting everyone, hard, and died soon after. Then again after i said "no more" they bought a ring-necked parakeet which wasn't affectionate or active (as is normal for the species), rarely uttered any sound, became afraid of humans and then died. The gf just does not get that a bird is not a toy to pull out of the box when the kid has free time. They need a LOT of attention and proper care. Anyway, I told her the ghosts of all these dead birds will come back to haunt her... 

Yeah birds do need some sort of company and you need to get them at the right age too. For eg female birds can be right shunts (big surprise there lol) particularly one that hasn't been hand reared and used to being handled from a baby

• 3 months later...

A few months on and they do appear to be Pacific parrotlets. I now believe one of the neighbours had some of these birds, which had chicks they couldn't cope with and they just dumped them under a bush so that a compassionate passer-by or a monitor lizard would find them - according to their karma.

I got them a bigger cage and some toys, and they do seem to enjoy human company although one is very pecky. The one which had an injury to its head has never flown. Not sure why. The other one escaped one time but just sat on top of the cage instead of flying away. The gf walks around outside with them and they stay on her arm.

So, last week they both started spending a lot of time in their felt box and then the female laid three eggs on the cage floor before getting it right and laying two eggs in the felt box. I thought these birds didn't reach sexual maturity for a year? Anyway, we are not sure what to expect. Sterile eggs or chicks we don't have space for. And I read these birds can breed 2 or 3 times a year. Argh!!

1 hour ago, orientalist said:

A few months on and they do appear to be Pacific parrotlets. I now believe one of the neighbours had some of these birds, which had chicks they couldn't cope with and they just dumped them under a bush so that a compassionate passer-by or a monitor lizard would find them - according to their karma.

I got them a bigger cage and some toys, and they do seem to enjoy human company although one is very pecky. The one which had an injury to its head has never flown. Not sure why. The other one escaped one time but just sat on top of the cage instead of flying away. The gf walks around outside with them and they stay on her arm.

So, last week they both started spending a lot of time in their felt box and then the female laid three eggs on the cage floor before getting it right and laying two eggs in the felt box. I thought these birds didn't reach sexual maturity for a year? Anyway, we are not sure what to expect. Sterile eggs or chicks we don't have space for. And I read these birds can breed 2 or 3 times a year. Argh!!

Post some more photos of them mate

7 hours ago, orientalist said:

A few months on and they do appear to be Pacific parrotlets. I now believe one of the neighbours had some of these birds, which had chicks

I do believe you are correct.  Blue versions are actually a mutation.  They are also not native to TH.  Keep healthy, and they may be around for 15 ish yrs.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1