Mountain B: Owner makes merit as 50,000 initial compensation paid to victims' families - some not happy

webfact

image.jpeg

Daily News Thai Caption: First 50,000 baht compensation payment

Daily News reported that the owner of Mountain B where a devastating fire last week killed 15 and injured dozens has started paying compensation to the victims.

Pongsiri Panprasong is now out on bail of 300,000 baht. 

He faces charges for negligence causing death and not having a licence to operate a business, notes ASEAN NOW.

He was making merit in a dedication ceremony for the deceased outside his burnt down club in Sattahip, Chonburi, central/eastern Thailand.

Meanwhile his lawyer Anucha Wongsrirat said that initial funds of 50,000 baht per person are being distributed to the families in compensation.

The media reported that some were happy with that but some were not. They did not elaborate.

Anucha stressed that his client was not slow in reacting to the compensation needs of the victims and would do all he can to help.

If people were not happy they should contact the Lawyers' Council to negotiate a better deal. 

He warned that funds available may not stretch to the amounts wanted by all the victims' families. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-08-10

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Would you accept 50,000 Baht for a loved one , 

especially if breadwinner for the family.

"He warned that funds available may not stretch to the amounts wanted by all the victims' families. " that sounds like take it now or get nowt....

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

No amount of money will be sufficient, as there is no possibility to set a price on human life. If we do so, it will put us back hundreds of years. Back to the slave sale markets before the American Civil War. On the other hand, that would suit this man, as they also engaged in executions at that time.

• Like 1

No harm in giving initial payments ...but final compensation should he assessed by the courts.

With so many deaths, and many still in intensive care -  and no doubt looking ahead to years of reconstructive surgery if they make it - any total, proper compensation would be massive. Seems like the young owner is looking at the double-whammy of death penalty and bankruptcy.

16 minutes ago, law ling said:

Seems like the young owner is looking at the double-whammy of death penalty and bankruptcy.

Somewhere along the line all will go quiet and be forgotten about by the rule makers here.....money talks and justice has to take a back seat.

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

No amount of money will be sufficient, as there is no possibility to set a price on human life. If we do so, it will put us back hundreds of years. Back to the slave sale markets before the American Civil War. On the other hand, that would suit this man, as they also engaged in executions at that time.

Get a grip now.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Get a grip now.....

Think I got a firm grip already. This is just another guy that will pay a cheap price for human life, and drag out with court proceedings for years. After that he will get a measly little time in jail or none at all. That´s usually how it works here.

• Like 2

How can you forgive an individual who is responsible for the deaths and injuries of many the guy didn’t have a license to run a nightclub and now he thinks by making merit he will be forgiven for his sins . He can afford bail of 300,000 baht yet those killed he offers the families 50,000 baht I say throw it back at him and sue him for everything he has . Did he have buildings and liabilities insurance somehow I doubt it . People killed and injures due to this man’s negligence ???????????????????? RIP to all those who perished ????????????????????

Why was he granted bail?

why so little on the injured? Very expensive and very long recovery process to take care of burn victims…more will die…who is picking up the tab?

is weird I have to show more money for a marriage visa extension than this guy who killed multiple people and injured severely many others 

Edited by cardinalblue

2 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I heard the 50K thb is just the start, that much more is to be given to families. My old lady knew some of the victims, that's what she says.

Thai business owners and government officials are renowned for talking a lot and doing nothing, talk costs nothing but this time 16 people have lost their lives (so far). So just how much are their lives considered to be worth by the those responsible for the Mountain B tragedy ? rather than relying on Thai tittle-tattle gossip

Rewind to 2012 for an idea of what levels of compensation they should expect:-

The Central Administrative Court yesterday ordered the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) to pay Bt3.4 million in partial compensation to the parents of 12 victims of the New Year's 2009 Santika nightclub fire

Read more:- https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/30193451

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I heard the 50K thb is just the start, that much more is to be given to families. My old lady knew some of the victims, that's what she says.

I like to think so, and include in that those still being treated for their injuries. But all too often promises are made simply to quell the noise, and later not acted upon.....

• Like 1