What is a good alternative to Kaspersky ?

Speedo1968

7 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

QED

Are you at school or university?

Not any more, but I probably could if I wanted too, to be instructed by a chap who knew what he was talking about regarding what I wanted to learn.

But, one of the reasons many of us belong to a forum like this is that many members probably have a huge amount of expertise on various subjects, like me with old school Pontiac's and older British cars, oh, as well as LOS stuff..........???? 

• Sad 1

On 8/12/2022 at 12:27 PM, JimmyJ said:

No antivirus is needed.

Do regular backups onto an SD card or another device.

Use a browser with a Sandbox if you are going to be clicking on links you feel are questionable.

Use a Password Minder.

Password protect your Notes or whatever else you are worried about others seeing.

OP - at my age in years and mental ability I even forget what to write on my shopping list

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/14/2022 at 12:38 PM, Roger That said:

Showing an interest in anti-virus suggests a desire to keep the PC secure.

With this in mind, running an OS (Windows 7) that has not received updates / is out of support for over 2 years is a thoroughly bad idea.

The only realistic solution is to update to a newer Windows. 11 would be logical as it is the newest but 10 would also be suitable.

OP - many thanks for the suggestion, perhaps I should look at buying a new laptop.
My first one, a Packard Bell circa 1996 was built like the proverbial "brick s....".   I was based in UK but flying to and traveling in ASPAC every couple of months visiting farms.   I only gave it up for something new as it had run out of memory.

OP - many thanks for all the replies, whatever their message.
In the end I found someone to talk to Kaspersky in Bangkok and they eventually sorted out the AntiVirus Package and found me a way to install the One Year Total Security that I had without extra charge.
Again thanks to all

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Were any of my suggestions of help? I guess the product has already expired, so what did you do?

In the end I found someone to talk to Kaspersky in Bangkok and they eventually sorted out the AntiVirus Package and found me a way to install the One Year Total Security that I had without extra charge.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 12:27 PM, JimmyJ said:

Do regular backups onto an SD card or another device.

Actually, learn to do disk or partition images.  If you're hacked, you can overwrite the disk or partition with a known good copy.
Macrium Reflect has a good imagine product that is free.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

• Like 1

2 hours ago, connda said:

Actually, learn to do disk or partition images.  If you're hacked, you can overwrite the disk or partition with a known good copy.
Macrium Reflect has a good imagine product that is free.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

I image my lesser-used machines, Linux and Windows. I regularly clone my main SSD disk, using a removable SSD in a mobile rack, so that if it goes down for any reason I can be back up and running in 5 minutes with nothing of importance lost.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigStar said:

I image my lesser-used machines, Linux and Windows. I regularly clone my main SSD disk, using a removable SSD in a mobile rack, so that if it goes down for any reason I can be back up and running in 5 minutes with nothing of importance lost.

Same here, with another back-up going to One Drive.

I use Aeomi Backupper as opposed to Acronis or Macrium. Seems easier to use, for me.

If your main C Drive gets a virus or malware, can that be passed on to your backups?

Edited by KannikaP

7 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I use Aeomi Backupper as opposed to Acronis or Macrium. Seems easier to use, for me.

Aomei is more intuitive. I used for a while, but then got annoyed at the frequent updates accompanied by exhortations to upgrade. Still, OK, but finally an update made it start hanging during a clone. Gave up. 

7 hours ago, KannikaP said:

If your main C Drive gets a virus or malware, can that be passed on to your backups?

Absolutely. I'm quite reasonably sure the drive has no malware before I clone it.

My data's on a separate HDD; I do a nightly automatic backup of that to another HDD. Once a month or so I back it all up to another external HDD as well. So I still have files going back to the mid-1980s. Why? No reason, just for having.

One can of course be extremely anal retentive when it comes to backups, and various strategies with schedules have been formulated for ultimate safety. All to the good; I approve. But, everything considered, and from a long historical perspective, I doubt I myself need do more.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1