A VISA Agency said I can’t get an Education VISA

I asked a place that was in Pattaya, and told them I was in Bangkok.

i sent photos of my USA passport and that it has been kept up to date with COVID VISA renewals, never over-stay

they didn’t state a reason why I couldn’t get one. Maybe it was because I am in Bangkok and I’m asking a place in Pattaya that works with local Farrang schools?

So any Thai visa experts wanna inform me what’s up?

• Haha 2

Do you enter with a non-immigrant visa or do you have an existing extension of stay based on on of the non-immigrant categories since you last entered Thailand?

It is my understanding that you can only obtain an ED visa in-country if you entered on a tourist visa and have not already converted to non-immigrant in country since your arrival.

There is an official rule that Non Ed visas and extensions for study at an informal school (commonly Thai language classes) are only permitted until 12 months after your last entry into Thailand. You might be able to find an agent who works with a university (probably quite expensive) where the 12 month rule would not apply. Otherwise, I think you were given the correct information by the agent.

4 minutes ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

Can I get another covid extension? I'm stamped until September 21. Can I get stamped for 60 more days? (If I go myself to immigration; the agency told me it was all I could get, and they probably wanted me to spend like 5k with them to get it)

With almost a month remaining on your permission of stay, I doubt you could obtain a covid extension.

An agent may be able to assist. Yes would be approx 5k.

Which immigration office? 

• Haha 1

Ok new idea: what about the elite visa? Can I get that without leaving Thailand?

I knows it's expensive as Sin, but it's worth it to me because the #1 anxiety I have in my life is being deported.

I'm going to run this all by an agent of course, chimed in to see if anyone has had any familiarity with the elite visa

37 minutes ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

I knows it's expensive as Sin, but it's worth it to me because the #1 anxiety I have in my life is being deported.

You won't be deported unless you go on overstay.

Just chill ...plenty of options now with land borders open.

Perhaps provide more details of your plans.....eg how long you wish to remain in Thailand etc. 

If it's years then Thai elite visa a good option..

Edited by DrJack54

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You won't be deported unless you go on overstay.

Just chill ...plenty of options now with land borders open.

Perhaps provide more details of your plans.....eg how long you wish to remain in Thailand etc. 

If it's years then Thai elite visa a good option..

Yes, years.

I don't want to rely on border runs anymore.

BUT if it's relatively easy to travel to a Thai embassy and get some kind of visa which can convert into an education, I would do that. Way cheaper and it's good for a year or more with extension 

14 minutes ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

Yes, years.

BUT if it's relatively easy to travel to a Thai embassy and get some kind of visa which can convert into an education, I would do that. Way cheaper and it's good for a year or more with extension 

You mention "yes, years"

Later in post mention ED Visa for 12 months.

ED visa does have some requirements eg time at school etc.

With regards the cost of Elite Visa there is another way to look at the financials.... 

Work out what it would cost in total to live 5 years in western country vs same time spent in Los.

Even with the cost of the elite added into to comparison.

Another option is to live in sth east Asia and not completely in Thailand.

25 minutes ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

If you enroll in a school and they supply the required documents you could get a non-ed visa at a nearby embassy or consulate.

2 hours ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

Yes, years.

Bear in mind that, nowadays, it seems very difficult to stay in Thailand more than a year or two with Non Ed visas/extensions to study at an informal school. Treat that as a temporary solution.

If quite certain that you want to stay many years in Thailand, and aged well under 50, the 20-year Thailand Elite visa might well be a good, safe option. Even if close to age 50, people tend to ignore the reality that retirement extensions are likely to have more onerous requirements at some stage, possibly in the near future.

OP you are running two parallel threads, this is the other one.

On one thread you say you want to stay in Thailand until November and you frown upon the cost of a volunteer visa, in the other one you say you want to stay years and you consider the Elite visa. You know the costs right?

In one you say you have been living here with covid extensions, in the other that you are tired of border runs.

People are kindly trying to advice but maybe some clarity would help.

• Thanks 1

If you indeed want to stay for years and years without visa runs, or restrictions on leaving and reentering the country (up to a healthy limit that is) and are under 50 then a marriage, or an Elite or a work visa are your only options that satisfy your desire for long unhindered (within reasonable certainty) stay.

I'm an Elite holder and know from experience Elite will assist you with everything they can and facilitate the smooth passage to an Elite being granted you and be of great service if you are willing to pay for this type of visa.

They can give you options and advice in extending somehow for another 30 days till the Elite is granted because 30 days or so left on your current permission to stay is getting close.

If you have no overstays (1 is ok, if 2 and you will be rejected, Thai I.O. electronic record) then you should be sweet to get an Elite pretty quick.

I know people rail against this (expensive?) visa but, (preference and application is a subjective matter).

As others have said here if one takes the time to compare and contrast to costs of living in ones home nation, the time and effort to cross borders AND the uncertainty of such short term manoeuvrings of the Thai visa system, add to this the considerable perks that come with some of the Elite visas (20 year in particular) and it becomes worth it if you have the funds to pay. The perks associated are very good, and easily retrievable.

Should you be one who wishes to take advantage of these perks you will recoup the cost of the visa and have a hefty chunk of change from the initial cost of the visa at the 20 year mark.