Mate only given 30 days on arrival...

Thanks for the info. Its helps us make decisions..

One more thing. As all good tourists do, he purchased a nice new camera on arrival and plans to get a VAT refund on exit. He has the VAT Refund papers from the shop. 
We know that he can only obtain this when flying out from DM or BKK airport...My question is, leaving and returning via land border before he flies out make any difference to the VAT Refund process? 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Sir Maxwell Greene said:

One more thing. As all good tourists do, he purchased a nice new camera on arrival and plans to get a VAT refund on exit. He has the VAT Refund papers from the shop. 
We know that he can only obtain this when flying out from DM or BKK airport...My question is, leaving and returning via land border before he flies out make any difference to the VAT Refund process? 

I think you will find the vat claim has to be made within 60 days of the purchase date.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sir Maxwell Greene said:

I guess i was not clear with my question. Lets try again. 

Will leaving the country (land border)before the 60 day limit on the VAT refund make any difference to the VAT refund claim? 

Must exit Thailand via international airport to claim VAT 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sir Maxwell Greene said:

I guess i was not clear with my question. Lets try again. 

Will leaving the country (land border)before the 60 day limit on the VAT refund make any difference to the VAT refund claim? 

Leaving the country and returning wont make a difference, so long as when you do eventually leave, via an international airport, its within 60 days of the purchase date.

If you are staying for 30 days, then extending for 30 days, then doing a land border bounce. your eventual flight out will be past the 60 day window.

3 hours ago, Sir Maxwell Greene said:

And try not to get screwed on that.

So after check-in, if you go through Security, without going to VAT Claim Window, you cant go back.

This happened during last 2 years of C19, and so they said normally have a VAT Claim Office after Security.

So maybe other posters have newer info, but at BKK, its on far wall after last "letter" of check-ins.  Get your Receipt and Merchandise checked before going through Security/Immigration if you can.

Good luck.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rmac442 said:

Who can use the visa on arrival facility at the airport ? ...surly this option should be available 'to buy' a 60/90/120 day visa rather than the standard 30 day exempt?

The visa on arrival at the airport is for some.countries who do not qualify for visa exempt.

If your friend wanted a 60 day tourist visa; he needed to apply at a Thai embassy or online before arriving Thailand

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

Why didn’t he just get a tourist visa from the start? And then extend it 30 days….

follow the KISS principle…

Same reason I think?  with trying to get VAT for a camera?????   I think we are thinking on the same page here with this one.

Why did he not apply at home for 60day visa and then extend when here. He made it hard for himself.

By the way, l've just arrived from NZ , received my 30day stamp with a very cordial smile and have a good stay. Only had to show passport,  nothing else, no questions asked. All so easy   ; )

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Why didn’t he just get a tourist visa from the start? And then extend it 30 days….

follow the KISS principle…

Because a tourist visa has more requirements such as round trip ticket, money in the bank, proof of hotel, etc. Meanwhile, the visa exempt has virtually none. That is not simple!

18 hours ago, Rmac442 said:

Who can use the visa on arrival facility at the airport ? ...surly this option should be available 'to buy' a 60/90/120 day visa rather than the standard 30 day exempt?

Should be. I “should be” be able to stay as long as I wish too, but we all can’t have everything we wish for can we. Seriously, have you done any international travel before?