Calling Thailand From The Usa

shawndoc

Hi. I've been using a combination of Vonage and MyChiChat to call Thailand from the USA for the last several years. Normally at least one of the two works with decent sound quality. However in the last few weeks the sound quality for both has been horrible, with the person I am talking to having a hard time understanding me.

I'm guessing this has something to do with the fiber cable that was cut in Vietnam earlier this month.

But regarless of the cause, it leaves me without a method of calling Thailand without a lot of frustration and misunderstanding as both parties try to understand each other.

Anyone care to suggest a method for calling Thailand that has good sound quality and decent price? Preferably a calling card or simliar that I can use with my mobile. Please only advise on a service you've used in the last few weeks, not something that has been months since you used it, since both Vonage and MyChitChat were largely fine before then.

If you are calling the same person, or people in Thailand and you are familiar with them, ie family, try this.

Have them get a skypeout number. That is a usa number that works through skype, I think I paid 10 euros for a year rental of the 'phone number'. You even get to choose the area code.

Then when you want to call them, you call the phone number and they pick up the call using skype. All talk time is free, except for the initial rental fee for the line. Of course, you in USA, need to pay the long distance if the USA number is long distance (but nowadays free long distance is part of almost any cell phone package.)

Thanks for everyone's replies.

One comment on Skype, it would be great, but it assumes they have a decent computer, a good quality broadband connection, and I only want to call them when they are home. Unfortunately that's very few of the people I'm calling.

One comment on Skype, it would be great, but it assumes they have a decent computer, a good quality broadband connection, and I only want to call them when they are home. Unfortunately that's very few of the people I'm calling.

Check out www.tollthai.com

I use to use it when I was in Iraq...comes out to about 1 cent per minute and $1 per week maintenance fee...

They have changed their site since then, but the card I was using from them was "Fan Chan"

Do not know if this will help you but might help some other people looking for inexpensive calling with good quality from the USA. I use www.jajah.com The call must be initiated from their website and as soon as you type in the number you are calling-your phone (regular or mobil) rings and it connects you to the party ( regular or mobil phone) that you are calling. Voice quality is usually excellent and the cost from US to Thailand is 4 1/2 cents per minute. The good part is that they give you 150 free minutes per week as long as the other person has registered on Jajah. (This is no problem as registration is free ) Most of my friends in Thailand have now registered so I am able to talk to them for free.

Do not know if this will help you but might help some other people looking for inexpensive calling with good quality from the USA. I use www.jajah.com The call must be initiated from their website and as soon as you type in the number you are calling-your phone (regular or mobil) rings and it connects you to the party ( regular or mobil phone) that you are calling. Voice quality is usually excellent and the cost from US to Thailand is 4 1/2 cents per minute. The good part is that they give you 150 free minutes per week as long as the other person has registered on Jajah. (This is no problem as registration is free ) Most of my friends in Thailand have now registered so I am able to talk to them for free.
Edited by INDI1222

--------------------------

Interesting. I have had an unusually high percentage of bad connections over the past couple of weeks.

I've used www.tollthai for several years. just over a penny per minute with great connections, usually.

I have had bad connections on skpe as well, mostly echo problems... :o

• 2 years later...

Regarding SKYPE... you can also call MOBILE numbers in Thailand using the $6 per month UNLIMITED special. Thailand is one of the only countries that mobile numbers are included, but they are. :) I use skype on my iPhone to call my friends mobiles all the time... LoVE it, not more dialing my 300 digit pin number to call all the time. LoL

3 words...

Just...Get...Skype :)

Yep, same, same.

I have used Skype from here in Chiang Mai for the last 2 years and speak and video people from all over the world.

Now my brother in England has Skype on his mobile phone and we speak often.

Sometimes the video and sound quality can be a little crappy, but most times it works fine and it`s free.