Massive Electricity bills from September and so much the other week stating they would freeze it

jwest10

Yes the PM telling the very poor to turn to turn to Buddism to help with their bills????
No mention of the new tariffs anywhere???
So many will be struggling even more and some already hardly eat, let alone use electric for other things too and yes unless one is from a super rich family and yes us expats with our wonderful Thai families and yes having fixed incomes ie frozen state pensions, unless of course some cheating that living in the UK!!!

Edited by jwest10
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 3

13 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

The cost will not change - only the fuel surcharge - slight of hand.  End result - cost will increase.

Most of poorest will likely not have to pay that much more as low usage is rewarded in the bill format.

Those of us running multi air conditioners full boar are likely to be those paying the piper directly.  But stores will either have to reduce use or increase prices so yes everyone will be poorer.  But this is a worldwide issue with current high costs of fuels - lets hope it moves the world to accept newer options - but expect as price goes down - so will the will to change.

Lopburi3
Thanks and that was my take but we shall all see next month.

3 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

I'm suprised it's gone over so smoothly with the regular Thai folks.

I was expecting more negative response.  Other countries revolt when Food or energy prices increase. 

Some ptobably do not know and we certainly do not know how much yet but they will next month and a huge shock and excuse th pun but meant.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

I'm suprised it's gone over so smoothly with the regular Thai folks.

I was expecting more negative response.  Other countries revolt when Food or energy prices increase. 

The negative response is delayed until after they receive their next few months of bills and get sticker shock.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

The cost of energy has to increase. And don't forget that, in Thailand, low income people pay a discounted rate. And that's only fair as it is the higher income people who burn the Planet in disproportionate amounts.

The low income Families are very few in this scenario.

I think ( right or wrong ) that they have to use less than 100 Units a Month to even qualify for any discount, and that discount is ( as you would expect ), minimal.

I sort of got a figure ( cant remember the source now ) on the new Tariff for Electricity as an increase of 0.67 Baht per unit on the FT unit, which adds about 18 % to the Bill.

And dont forget ! , 7 %VAT has also got to be added to that price.

Along with the 7 % increase ( almost stealth ) back in May, this makes an annual increase of 25 %

I guess that the upcoming Bills in September, and specially October, as it the first full Month of increase , will reveal all.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, swm59nj said:

If those utility bills go up.  Some people might have to spend less on booze. 

Yes, and take it one step further, that will be bad for the wider economy. And what does the government do when the economy is at risk? Why it throws money at the problem, of course, usually in the way of price caps or subsidies. They may as well avoid the unpleasantness to come and simply announce a French-style price cap now, rather than wait until public opinion forces them to do so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swm59nj said:

If those utility bills go up.  Some people might have to spend less on booze. 

God forbid. 

Lao Khao burns well though so could be used as scource of energy if the going gets tough.

2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

I think ( right or wrong ) that they have to use less than 100 Units a Month to even qualify for any discount, and that discount is ( as you would expect ), minimal.

If they use less then 150 units in 3 months, then the following months (and they use less then 50 units) the electricity bill is free, but 50 units is not a lot. And this only is for people who use the smallest Electricity Meter (5/15kWh)

1x 60W fan used 12 hours a day already consumes 21 Units a Month.

So having a couple of fans and some lights already makes it go over 50 Units per month easily

Read here

Ps: It says 2015 but it's still in effect

Rate2015.pdf

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chalawaan said:

If you're one of the lucky ones who have built here. 

Then solar is a no-brainer. 

High installation costs, but you can actually sell energy back to the grid!

Has anyone here done it?

there's a few dudes in here that have done solar. they won't shut up about it in one of the other forums, Electric I think. not that I'm jealous or anything (I rent a condo in Bangkok and solar is a pipe dream) ????

23 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

The cost will not change - only the fuel surcharge - slight of hand.  End result - cost will increase.

Most of poorest will likely not have to pay that much more as low usage is rewarded in the bill format.

Those of us running multi air conditioners full boar are likely to be those paying the piper directly.  But stores will either have to reduce use or increase prices so yes everyone will be poorer.  But this is a worldwide issue with current high costs of fuels - lets hope it moves the world to accept newer options - but expect as price goes down - so will the will to change.

You ever known companies to LOWER prices without being made to by regulators/governments?

2 hours ago, jvs said:

I never understand these things,oil prices have been going down

steadily for the last month.

When oil prices go up the cost of fuel goes up the very same day.

when oil prices go down the price of fuel goes down?Maybe but slowly.

Oil companies all over the world have made record profits this year.

Oh,now i understand!

About 60% of Thailand's electricity is generated by natural gas. How is the price and supply of that doing? Is Thailand a producer or an importer? Have there been any disruptions in the supply? Do you think your PEA pops down to the local Esso station for their fuel?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chalawaan said:

If you're one of the lucky ones who have built here. 

Then solar is a no-brainer. 

High installation costs, but you can actually sell energy back to the grid!

Has anyone here done it?

I looked into it but the cost was a million plus baht and would take 20 years before getting your investment back also during that time you need to renew parts such as batteries and even panels , my average electricity bill is no more than 3,000 baht that’s for a house , a stand alone apartment , a turtle pond , a swimming pool and instant hot water via the air conditioning . It cost me 250,000 baht to bring in my electricity which included 6 concrete posts and a 30KVA transformer my Thai neighbours were made up as they ran there electric cables via coconut trees of wooden posts in the ground now they all have there electric coming off proper posts . Happy Days  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

It cost me 250,000 baht to bring in my electricity which included 6 concrete posts and a 30KVA transformer my Thai neighbours were made up as they ran there electric cables via coconut trees of wooden posts in the ground now they all have there electric coming off proper posts .

Yes, more than a few of us have added a few electric poles or extended the water supply to areas that did not yet have.    But i never forget that most farangs living here had much better paying jobs (even if they were just bus drivers or handymen.)    Of course most were "successful businessmen" or Secret service operatives (wink wink).      

I know that the Thais appreciate us though ...... as they often call out to me by my initials as i ride by

"Hey....T.M.  !  " .      i give them  back a big smile .   Don't know why my GF doesn't seem so appreciative of that 

Edited by rumak
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, rumak said:

Yes, more than a few of us have added a few electric poles or extended the water supply to areas that did not yet have.    But i never forget that most farangs living here had much better paying jobs (even if they were just bus drivers or handymen.)    Of course most were "successful businessmen" or Secret service operatives (wink wink).      

I know that the Thais appreciate us though ...... as they often call out to me by my initials as i ride by

"Hey....T.M.  !  " .      i give them  back a big smile .   Don't know why my GF doesn't seem so appreciative of that 

and after they yell the phrase they wink after you smile and yell back Kaaaa-Chingggg while pulling there arm in the movement of a slot machine pull....lovely.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

and after they yell the phrase they wink after you smile and yell back Kaaaa-Chingggg while pulling there arm in the movement of a slot machine pull....lovely.

Don't ya love the country thais ?    Yeah, they ask for Chang beer sometimes (or is it Chingg? ) .

Why not..... buy em a few when they come get their buffalos that they parked in my large yard that day.    always respectful they are      thumbs up   "hey TM "

note: for anyone taking this all too serious .... let me assure you that though the stories i tell can be "loosely based" on some experiences.... I have lived in country situations and generally have had very good contacts with the locals .

The old timers with lomyai and mango orchards here in the North work hard,  are extremely friendly......... and get <deleted> all for the crops that they produce.   Life ain't fair.... and its a lot less fair for these folks

Edited by rumak