Are Blood Sugar meters reliable?

Confuscious

I have 2 blood sugar meters at home, and I use one of them every day to know my blood sugar level.
But the measured blood sugar levels were very different, depending what device was used.
I did one morning the test with several devices I had loan from friends and the BS levels variated from 111 (Sinophar) that morning.
Very confusing.

In a word, no. I have two big name brands I purchased from Fascino and they are consistently 20-30 points apart. Since both numbers are below 150 at any given time of the day. I'm not too concerned and a recent eye exam showed no optical nerve damage which is a major concern for diabetics.

• Thanks 1

The FBS (fasting blood sugar) test you can get at a clinic or hospital will not be the same as a blood sugar meter reading. In my case the last three months meter readings (taken before breakfast) average 5.8. This is consistent over time.  My last HbA1c reading was 5.1 (usually 5.2-5.6 with occasional 3.0 readings). I take lots of Metformin, way over the recommended dosage. All this because I’ve been diabetic for almost 30 years.

I use the Accu-Chek Performa system and get sticks from a Bangkok Pharmacy or Lazada.

Edited by NewGuy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NewGuy said:

The FBS (fasting blood sugar) test you can get at a clinic or hospital will not be the same as a blood sugar meter reading. In my case the last three months meter readings (taken before breakfast) average 5.8. This is consistent over time.  My last HbA1c reading was 5.1 (usually 5.2-5.6 with occasional 3.0 readings). I take lots of Metformin, way over the recommended dosage. All this because I’ve been diabetic for almost 30 years.

I use the Accu-Chek Performa system and get sticks from a Bangkok Pharmacy or Lazada.

I wonder if it doesn't would be better to go every 2 or 3 days to the hospital and let them test my BS?

The price for the test strips and lancets is not cheap.

A BS test at the hospital would cost me 150 baht and is accurate.

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

I wonder if it doesn't would be better to go every 2 or 3 days to the hospital and let them test my BS?

The price for the test strips and lancets is not cheap.

A BS test at the hospital would cost me 150 baht and is accurate.

Do you really need testing that frequently? Are you on insulin? Is your BS very unstable?

For most diabetics an Hb1Ac test  every 3-6 months is enough.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NewGuy said:

The FBS test at my clinic costs 50 Baht.

Same at a local Thai doctor around the corner

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Do you really need testing that frequently? Are you on insulin? Is your BS very unstable?

Yes Sheryl, my blood sugar levels are very fluctuating.

I try to find out what causes high blood sugar levels and avoid the food/drink that causes the high blood sugar levels.

Although, my blood sugar levels have improved a lot this way.

Only 1 <deleted> in my finger every morning ...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

By the way, I followed the advice of my doctor at the military hospital and my BS levels are now an average of 128 WITHOUT MEDICATION.

The latest ha1bc test 2 weeks ago was 136.

• Like 1

The test stripes, which are inserted in the blood sugar meter, have an expiry date and (temperature) conditions how they should be kept. Make sure you buy them from a reliable source. 

I have diabetes and maybe every two months I get my blood tested in the hospital. Most of the time they measure several blood values. Then they draw my blood. But sometimes the same hospital wants only the blood sugar level, and they use one of those meters. I guess they wouldn't do that if they would not be accurate (at least the one they are using). 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The test stripes, which are inserted in the blood sugar meter, have an expiry date and (temperature) conditions how they should be kept. Make sure you buy them from a reliable source. 

I have diabetes and maybe every two months I get my blood tested in the hospital. Most of the time they measure several blood values. Then they draw my blood. But sometimes the same hospital wants only the blood sugar level, and they use one of those meters. I guess they wouldn't do that if they would not be accurate (at least the one they are using). 

I guess that hospitals calibrate their bs testers at regular intervals to be more accurate.

In my job, I had to test the pH -level of the water in the decanter with strips.

Same as the BS level meters.

But I needed to calibrate the meter every week.

• Like 1