Garage Junk Sale in Thailand?

cliveshep

I got a workshop full of tools - power tools, hand tools, sundry ropes 1" diam down,, old heavy-duty ratchet straps, newish inverter welder, 1" submersible electric pump (no hose, Thailand's climate saw that off!), biscuit jointer, sander/polisher, genie-lift hand crank variety, bread maker, Travis Perkins builder's wheel-barrow with pneumatic tyre, various shovels etc, Big heavy-duty roof rack for Pajero, Innova or other  largish car, depth-finder/fish-finder with transom-mount transducer (my wife dropped the dash unit and broke the glass otherwise was working,  there were two of them, air-tools - 2 impact wrenches, spray guns, sand-blasting gun, engine wash gun, 38mm concrete compacting poker, medium duty rotary demolition hammer, rotary laser level (the receiver has no beep but receives visually and the rechargeable batteries need replacing with new or with normal batteries) comes with staff and tripod.

Another tripod and a Hilger and Watts optical surveyor's level, this is a WW1 or maybe 2 antique I am told it would be used to establish levels for front line artillery - who knows? But I had it verified) in perfect working order - it inverts the image so needs practice, probably good for Ukraine? Accuracy alleged to be + or -  3mm in 3000 metres! USB overhead projector, unused mostly, 2 projector screens ex school room (hanging type and so on. Loads of rubbish and some good pieces which at 77 I will no longer use. Also got a 0-1" micrometer, a 1" - 2" micrometer, and a 2" - 3" micrometer for budding engineers. That's what comes to mind right now. Nothing apart from a coup-le of machines is newish. 

Question is, reading all that lot, my wife wants to simply throw it all away - admittedly she is in a period-induced strop but she insists that we cannot hold a sort of front of house garage-type jumble sale..I don't want to open a shop lol and advertising this stuff bit by bit would take forever, best to sell it at knock-down prices.?

"What do the Team" think" to coin a phrase from a well-known UK quiz show? 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cliveshep said:

I got a workshop full of tools - power tools, hand tools, sundry ropes 1" diam down,, old heavy-duty ratchet straps, newish inverter welder, 1" submersible electric pump (no hose, Thailand's climate saw that off!), biscuit jointer, sander/polisher, genie-lift hand crank variety, bread maker, Travis Perkins builder's wheel-barrow with pneumatic tyre, various shovels etc, Big heavy-duty roof rack for Pajero, Innova or other  largish car, depth-finder/fish-finder with transom-mount transducer (my wife dropped the dash unit and broke the glass otherwise was working,  there were two of them, air-tools - 2 impact wrenches, spray guns, sand-blasting gun, engine wash gun, 38mm concrete compacting poker, medium duty rotary demolition hammer, rotary laser level (the receiver has no beep but receives visually and the rechargeable batteries need replacing with new or with normal batteries) comes with staff and tripod

No fondue set or cuddly toy?

• Haha 2

I have see a few people sell job lots of tools on facebook marketplace and on Craigslist. Just make a few lots of similar items and take a few photos. Sell for best offer. Something like the biscuit jointer might be quite valuable and worth listing separately. 

The items you mention typically sell well. 

• Like 1

not sure where you are - - such a sale in your front yard might embarrass your wife... find a market in an area where you are not known... or if it is worthwhile, there is an auction in Pattaya that I just heard about - consign it there if nearby.. 

or donate it to a local builder.

Edited by 1FinickyOne

On 8/19/2022 at 8:41 PM, cliveshep said:

Another tripod and a Hilger and Watts optical surveyor's level, this is a WW1 or maybe 2 antique I am told it would be used to establish levels for front line artillery - who knows? But I had it verified) in perfect working order - it inverts the image so needs practice, probably good for Ukraine? Accuracy alleged to be + or -  3mm in 3000 metres!

Hilger and Watts more likely WW2. There is no way it can set a level at 3km even in perfect adjustment. Have probably used one in my time but luckily they later made them with an upright image (but you can get used to the inverted one).

Listen to your wife, she knows best.

It could be that other Thais might see this very differently than in a typical western country. 

She may have concerns that people will think she/you are broke? Neignbors might not be happy at people coming and going and taking notice of their property/the level of secutity on their houses etc. 

Perhaps you could quietly seek out a local villager who has abilities but no funds to buy equipment, and quietly give everything/most of it to that villager. WIN - WIN!

I know your feeling and thoughts...  But, on yards sales, it's just not done. I like some of the suggestions. I might look into the second hand 'markets' around Lat Sawai and Lam Luk Ka to rid me of my stuff.

Edited by AgMech Cowboy

On 8/19/2022 at 8:41 PM, cliveshep said:

What do the Team think

Bring it down to Pattaya.

Theprasit Rd, across from the PTT servo there's a market, Buffalo Market, selling similar second hand stuff. 

If it doesn't sell, donate to Hand to Hand foundation, Suksubai, around the corner from the Land office. 

Over the years I've been taking the kids clothes, books, toys etc,

I'm sure they'll take your stuff. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

Various yard sales are happening every weekend around CM city. They are listed on two Facebook groups i know of. Seconhand Chiang Mai and Chiang Mai Buy Sell Swap which seems to be more popular. Take some photos, list everything, put guide prices on stuff, open to offers, everything must go etc. Set your start time end time, sat only whatever, draw a map, google maps link. If you get rid of it, plus the cash and people get a good deal its a win win.

Thai people are buying and selling secondhand stuff all the time i would not worry about what the neighbours think. Only people who are interested will make the effort to visit so dont worry about big crowds of people swamping your home. 

Facebook the way to go.  Sell individually, grouped or as a single sale for the lot.  

Just need to upload a few pics onto Facebook marketplace and be patient.  

That way you won't need to pay to rent a stall at a market, or pay someone commission.  

All depends of course how much it is all worth.  

Not sure about garage sales in Thailand, maybe get pinged by the BIB for selling without a license or something.  But I have no idea.  

7 minutes ago, aussienam said:

Facebook the way to go.  Sell individually, grouped or as a single sale for the lot.  

Just need to upload a few pics onto Facebook marketplace and be patient.  

That way you won't need to pay to rent a stall at a market, or pay someone commission.  

All depends of course how much it is all worth.  

Not sure about garage sales in Thailand, maybe get pinged by the BIB for selling without a license or something.  But I have no idea.  

I just gotta say how complicated and unfriendly facebook has become.  Maybe i'm not as familar with the website as you but geeeze I have not seen anything so complicated and so difficult to use.  I accidently clicked on META and what a nightmare to delete.  It implores you are a commerce account. 

• Sad 1

Do you have a local recycling man who goes from house to house? They will BUY junk, and will know people who would be interested in your stuff. Try him with a few basic items and offer him a commission on any buyers he brings.