Vietnamese Dong

Not all exchanges will give you Dong, and there is a chance exchanges that will, in principle, do so may be temporarily out of Dong. However, the main office of major exchanges like SuperRich will almost always be able to accommodate you.

• Like 1

OP, you can obtain dong in exchange for the currencies you mention. Suggest SuperRich green. Head office.

Your can also take currency into Vietnam and exchange there. 

The money exchangers are often also gold shops.

I have found in the past the exchange rates very good at these places.

Previously i would take money into Saigon in baht and exchange.

Be aware that the banking system in Vietnam has changed and some credit debit cards cannot be used. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Take USD. Accepted everywhere when I go.

Usually receive change in dong.

True, many businesses everywhere in VN readily accept US currrency.

Also there's many (maybe 5 or 6) currency exchanges at both Ho Chi Minh and Hanoi international airports, quick and quite good exchange rate. Some also ask if you need a cab and if YES they call one to move their car to be waiting at the kerb near the exit doors, no charge. 

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Previously i would take money into Saigon in baht and exchange.

Exactly what I did, exchange Thai baht into Dongs at currency exchanges on arrival in either Hanoi, Da Nang or HCM airports. Word of caution, beware of unscrupulous Vietnamese taxi drivers who will try and scam you over how many 00000's there should be in your fare. (Currently 500 Thai baht = 325,612 dong)

2 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Exactly what I did, exchange Thai baht into Dongs at currency exchanges on arrival in either Hanoi, Da Nang or HCM airports

I have never exchanged at airport.

Previously exchanged at "gold shops"

For example I use exchange shop near end of Bui Vien district 1 Saigon.

Good rates.

• Thanks 1

The exchange for Thai Baht is not very good at the airport, excellent at some money changers in Saigon, and very bad in most cities in Vietnam.It's simply not true that USD is widely accepted in Vietnam. in Tourist resort towns Hotels often ask for /accept dollars, but it's actually illegal now to do so. You pay for just about everything in Dong, Vietnam is not Cambodia. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, FARANG KIWI said:

I have Bought and Sold Vietnam Dong at VASU on Sukumvitt Road ( near Soi 11 )

Vasu Exchange is on the corner of Sukhumvit Soi 7/1 if I remember correctly (Nana BTS station).

If up around Pratunam, SuperRich Green main office usually gives very slightly better rates than Vasu, but there is not much in it.