Omicron as tonsillitis?

mommysboy

Anyone else experienced Omicron as primarily being  tonsillitis?

Sure it gave me a heavy head cold, but the harsh sore throat, mild fever, nausea and swollen tonsils was textbook tonsillitis?  My tonsils do occasionally get infected though.  I reckon covid19 is one of those viruses that really exploits vulnerabilities. Definitely one of the nasties. I felt totally awful at times.

(3 shots)

First thing to confirm is if you are testing ATK positive.

Then, its also positive to contract more than one virus at a time...i.e. its possible you contract tonsilitis and covid at the same time. i.e. Tonsillitis already weakened your immune system and you contracted covid very easily whereby otherwise you may have had some form of immunity / protection from your vaccines. 

The first omicron at the end of the last year often gave gostro problems. 
now is many of them, i think over 10 similar strains. 
Get honey, lemon, garlic mixture. 
Sip water all the time (not chilled).  
at pharmacy strepsil (several different once, with different active medicines).

also cepacol original (only this works for covid) - its already withdrawn from distribution, but some people have at home medicine drawers. 
use mouthwash with cetylpiridinium chlorate, japanese import, so not cheap and not easy to find. 

if bacterial coinfection and worsening of symptoms, maybe try mild antbiotic doxicicline

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, internationalism said:

The first omicron at the end of the last year often gave gostro problems. 
now is many of them, i think over 10 similar strains. 
Get honey, lemon, garlic mixture. 
Sip water all the time (not chilled).  
at pharmacy strepsil (several different once, with different active medicines).

also cepacol original (only this works for covid) - its already withdrawn from distribution, but some people have at home medicine drawers. 
use mouthwash with cetylpiridinium chlorate, japanese import, so not cheap and not easy to find. 

if bacterial coinfection and worsening of symptoms, maybe try mild antbiotic doxicicline

And if none of these work, in a couple of weeks it'll be gone.  555

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Then, its also positive to contract more than one virus at a time...i.e. its possible you contract tonsilitis and covid at the same time. i.e. Tonsillitis already weakened your immune system and you contracted covid very easily whereby otherwise you may have had some form of immunity / protection from your vaccines. 

Yes, on the third day I suspected omicron and took a test, which was positive.

My family had omicron a few months ago but I didn't appear to get it.  I do sometimes get tonsillitis if I have a throat infection or heavy cold.  My daughter has been ill very recently with some kind of throaty cold (not covid).  I only got a booster recently, and it's possible I contracted the virus at the hospital, although the gym is more likely.

There's a certain inevitability about contracting omicron imo.  It's a bit of a beast.

• Sad 1

On 8/23/2022 at 6:27 PM, mommysboy said:

Yes, on the third day I suspected omicron and took a test, which was positive.

My family had omicron a few months ago but I didn't appear to get it.  I do sometimes get tonsillitis if I have a throat infection or heavy cold.  My daughter has been ill very recently with some kind of throaty cold (not covid).  I only got a booster recently, and it's possible I contracted the virus at the hospital, although the gym is more likely.

There's a certain inevitability about contracting omicron imo.  It's a bit of a beast.

I had that same symptom. The worst sore throat I have ever had in my life. So painful it hurt to swallow water.  I thought maybe it was strep. But I tested positive for Covid.

• Like 2

On 8/23/2022 at 3:05 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Tonsilitis is not a disease, it is a symptom. Basically, it's inflammation of the tonsils. Could be caused by many things. 

Covid oftens causes inflammation. 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 4:39 PM, Danderman123 said:

Tonsilitis is not a disease, it is a symptom. Basically, it's inflammation of the tonsils. Could be caused by many things. 

Covid oftens causes inflammation. 

Tonsillitis is a defined infection of the tonsils. 

12 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

The Oxford Dictionary gives it as “ inflammation of the tonsils”.

Infection by/with something causes the tonsils to swell. and perhaps form small pus spots. It's often more problematic than the thing that gave rise to it, since it can cause a nasty sore throat and fever.  An 'itis' can be simple inflammation, eg, allergic rhinitis or tendonitis.  So I suppose the same applies to tonsils, but in the case of the latter there is nearly always a viral/bacterial cause, hence it's an infection. 

Anyway, it's really more about the effect. I'm guessing you've never had it.

Glad to report my Omicron infection cleared up super quickly, which I attribute to the vaccines.

From the Maya Clinic

Tonsillitis is inflammation of the tonsils, two oval-shaped pads of tissue at the back of the throat — one tonsil on each side. Signs and symptoms of tonsillitis include swollen tonsils, sore throat, difficulty swallowing and tender lymph nodes on the sides of the neck.

Most cases of tonsillitis are caused by infection with a common virus, but bacterial infections also may cause tonsillitis.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/tonsillitis/symptoms-causes/syc-20378479#:~:text=Tonsillitis is inflammation of the,the sides of the neck.

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

From the Maya Clinic

Tonsillitis is inflammation of the tonsils, two oval-shaped pads of tissue at the back of the throat — one tonsil on each side. Signs and symptoms of tonsillitis include swollen tonsils, sore throat, difficulty swallowing and tender lymph nodes on the sides of the neck.

Most cases of tonsillitis are caused by infection with a common virus, but bacterial infections also may cause tonsillitis.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/tonsillitis/symptoms-causes/syc-20378479#:~:text=Tonsillitis is inflammation of the,the sides of the neck.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/tonsillitis/

It's an infection of the tonsils which causes them to inflame. They don't just swell of their own accord, something causes it, just as with sinusitis which is an infection of the sinuses, bronchitis- infection of the bronchials, etc.

It is possible just for them to be swollen through irritation in which case yes it is not an infection.

Believe me on this I've been there a few times!