Wan?

Moonfruit

My partner and i work in two different offices, (myself at sukhumvit, she at Rama 4)using the same application and currently have a nightmare keeping our databases synchronised.

What i want to do is host the database file itself somewhere so that we can both use the same file, eliminating the need to synchronise.

Anybody have any idea as to how to go about doing this?

Its so much appreciated!

Cheers

Edited by Moonfruit

Couple of questions -

What database system are you currently using?

How do you "syncronize" at the moment?

Is the application you are reffering to the database itself or is there some kind of user interface that is seperate?

Are you willing to pay to "host this?"

How much do you know about databases? - have you worked with MYSQL or MSSQL before?

In general this is possible, depending on your use etc you can host the files easily, either internally or from a server on the internet. Actually setting up the databse to host could be very easy or not so straight forward. It all depends on what you are using at the moment. MySQL provide an easy to use application that will take almost any database , convert it and upload it to a server for you. see http://www.mysql.com/products/tools/migration-toolkit/

Getting the data out of the database may be an issue again depending on how you are using at the moment. If its a custom app you may need to contact the dev that did it. If its just access should not be too much of a headache.

guess thats really vague but without more info hard to comment

Couple of questions -

What database system are you currently using?

How do you "syncronize" at the moment?

Is the application you are reffering to the database itself or is there some kind of user interface that is seperate?

Are you willing to pay to "host this?"

How much do you know about databases? - have you worked with MYSQL or MSSQL before?

In general this is possible, depending on your use etc you can host the files easily, either internally or from a server on the internet. Actually setting up the databse to host could be very easy or not so straight forward. It all depends on what you are using at the moment. MySQL provide an easy to use application that will take almost any database , convert it and upload it to a server for you. see http://www.mysql.com/products/tools/migration-toolkit/

Getting the data out of the database may be an issue again depending on how you are using at the moment. If its a custom app you may need to contact the dev that did it. If its just access should not be too much of a headache.

guess thats really vague but without more info hard to comment

Thanks for the comment dsys.

Synchronising at the moment is a manual affair of talking to each other about what changes have been made that day, and making sure we both have the same information, manually inputted! Not the greatest way!

I dont know anything about databases to be honest, but the program we use (a commercially available program, not bespoke) uses a database file, im guessing something like Outlook's pst file. The developer says that all you need to do is host the database file itself remotely, and then configure your client to find it.

Ive looked at the MySQL route, but to be honest its a bit over my head. Im still trying to do this in-house!

I have no problem paying for this to be hosted, in fact it would be good to have it hosted on our web server, but as this is based in the US the database would be slow as hel_l to use. Maybe i could host it on a redundant computer at the office? Another problem may be that at my office, we have a dynamic IP address form True rather than a static address which im sure will complicate matters!

So, i hope this extra info can help you solve my problem!

Cheers!

The info you supplied looks promising. If you have spoken to the supplier and they say it can be done then there is hope.

First thing is to check out how you can "configure" the client. Once you have that info you can proceed.

I think that the best option would be to go for an old PC that you have lying around. Best scenario would be windows 2003 server (sure you can pick up a copy cheaply :o ) failing that XP will work fine.

Connect the PC to you network and create a network shared folder. From your pc map the network drive. Configure your application client to use the network drive. Once this is up and running and tested you can go about setting up the remote site.

Couple of things to be avare of here:

1. The data will be transmitted over a public link.

2. Your adsl upload (not download) speed will be the limiting factor.

To setup the remote site you need to get a static IP address - either go through true or use one of the many dyndns services. Either way its going to cost something.

OK now this is where things start getting complicated and everybody has different was of doing this. You need to get the remote site to access the file.

The best way to do this would be using a VPN connection. I dont know how your network is setup so its a bit difficult to comment here.

If you can get hold of a couple of vpn routers ( netgear fvs338 are good but expensive) you could hang them behind the modems. This will allow you to create a gateway to gateway connection. Once this is setup the remote site will be able to map the network drive in the same manner as the local machine did.

I guess you could also use a thai webserver but i think that this would be quite insecure.

hope that points you in the right direction.

As an after thought - have you checked with the application supplier that concurrent users on the same "file" is supported?

Edited by dsys

Thanks for the comment dsys.

Synchronising at the moment is a manual affair of talking to each other about what changes have been made that day, and making sure we both have the same information, manually inputted! Not the greatest way!

I dont know anything about databases to be honest, but the program we use (a commercially available program, not bespoke) uses a database file, im guessing something like Outlook's pst file. The developer says that all you need to do is host the database file itself remotely, and then configure your client to find it.

Ive looked at the MySQL route, but to be honest its a bit over my head. Im still trying to do this in-house!

I have no problem paying for this to be hosted, in fact it would be good to have it hosted on our web server, but as this is based in the US the database would be slow as hel_l to use. Maybe i could host it on a redundant computer at the office? Another problem may be that at my office, we have a dynamic IP address form True rather than a static address which im sure will complicate matters!

So, i hope this extra info can help you solve my problem!

Cheers!

Can you check your program to see what options you have to configure a database connection? You can download Microsoft SQL2005 Express for free, setting it up however might be more difficult.

If your program allows usage of MSSQL then the program on the other location can be configured to use the database over the internet (Dynamic IP problems can be solved by using DynDNS).

A different approach, just give it a thought:

If you already have a webserver running, how about running a database on the server as well and use a web-interface to access your database?

The advantages:

- no client software required, just a webbrowser. And you can access your data from anywhere on the net.

- all data is stored on 1 location, eliminating the need for replication

- changes are immediately available to other users of your system

Disadvantage:

- You'll probably have to do quite some scripting to make the webinterface look-and-feel like your current software package.

What i want to do is host the database file itself somewhere so that we can both use the same file, eliminating the need to synchronise.

Possible soution:

1. Move / copy the database to a machine, (either at your location or the partner's site).
  2. Use a VPN service like Hamachi (Free or Premium version) to connect the database machine and the remote user's machine.

Whatever application you use to administer the database would then have an secure and private "tunnel" from the remote user(s) to the database host machine.

No requirement to purchase or configure routers / firewalls. Hamachi just works... on Windows, Linux, and OSX.

Edited by Rice_King

1. Use a VPN service like Hamachi (Free or Premium version) to connect the database machine and the remote user's machine.

RiceKing:

Thats not a service I was aware of, if it works this would be a cheaper route to go down. Thanks for posting that, good info to know.

Thats not a service I was aware of, if it works this would be a cheaper route to go down. Thanks for posting that, good info to know.

I first heard of the Hamachi VPN right here in this forum a few months ago. I tried it and liked it. Now, just passing that info on.

Regarding administrating a database via the Hamachi VPN, the OP in this thread of the Hamachi Support Forum is using it successfully for that purpose. The only issue the OP has with the application is trying to get it to support more than 3 (three) concurrent connections.

Edited by Rice_King

Hamachi is a great application , the free version is easily set up to run as a windows service and in combination with VNC ( virtual network computing ) , Wake on Lan and a port forwarded in your router you can have complete secure control over a machine from anywhere you have a half decent connection.

as for your database , if it is just an excell spreadsheet there is a Google app which will allow you share/collaborate a spreadsheet with other gmail users that you select.

• 3 weeks later...

Its so much appreciated!

How did you finally resolve this MoonFruit? It has been nearly a month now. Any updates would be much appreciated!

Edited by Rice_King