Anyone found a fertiliser that doesn't cost stupid money?

All the fertilisers geared to growing weed are selling for silly high prices as they seem to be imported. Anyone found a local source?

The Thais are notorious for not using the NPL convention on their packaging. instead preferring exaggerated claims that bring to mind a traveling snake oil seller. Also they have the idea that bigger and more is better – so most of their stuff seems to be 45:0:0 rather than a gentle ratio of 4:2:3.

I’m looking for liquid concentrates of as close to these ratios as possible - 4:2:3 and 2:8:4: - or close.

Can anyone help? Photos of the label or a live link would be appreciated ????

Edited by robsamui
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Hi Rob,

I just tried and failed to import a well known Aussie made range of nutrients, the import rules are totally and utterly ridiculous.

So far I know of only two locally made options although I am about to start testing a third in the coming days which I expect to the best priced and most effective going forward.

Here are the two that I know of:

https://www.accenthydroponicsthailand.com/457887/flowering

I'm not sure which is their grow formula, probably this one:

https://www.accenthydroponicsthailand.com/457886/culture-s

I know people using the flowering version and it seems to work well enough although it's low P.

Also there is a local company that appeared after June 9th - Nutra Hydro:

https://www.lazada.co.th/nutra-hydro/

I'm sure there are others that I don't know of and others will add them - it's a good question.

Cheers.

• Like 1

My wife does it organic. She has over 20 head from the Department of Livestock in Kap Choneg. There are over 1000 head in this program  that alot of cow ???? ????. She is making another batch as I type. She has been in this program about 7 years and has attended alot of programs. No flys on her.????

Edited by khwaibah
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, robsamui said:

Also they have the idea that bigger and more is better – so most of their stuff seems to be 45:0:0 rather than a gentle ratio of 4:2:3.

Believe it or not a nutrient with this NPK would not be allowed in Thailand - 4:2:3

For whatever reason you can only register plant fertilisers that have an NPK that adds up to 20 or more.

Hence the overdoing it on the NPK.

The even sillier thing is that if it doesn't add up to 20 it's not like it can't be classed as a fertiliser, it just can't be registered.

Maybe there is a way around it if the nutrient is made here as Nutra Hydro products don't add up to 20 so maybe there is something else I am not aware of - my experience was with importing but I think it would apply to locally made as well.

Madness.

• Like 1

If know what you want, you can get the salts(25Kg bags) at WESCO, BKK.

They have the micros sulphates and chelated 1Kg. Moly sml. 100gr.  

You can get smaller amounts of salts from www. stores.

I'm using a formula off RIU's forum, general marijuana growing, sub forum

DIY, page 2, DIY hydro nutes in 5 minutes.  About using. "Hydro Buddy" to work up a formula.  If you use windoz. machine, you can get Netron 2000, a S/W

from NZ. to "formulate hydro",   10K Bt, will get you about 25,000L of EC 1.0 nutes. if you running R-W coco.  rice555

599968416_WESCOHYDRO.jpg.90ce95e6148cfd9365ce480891adbacd.jpgMap-wesco.thumb.jpg.da7601344490e1d1f1f5739b7dbbf3dc.jpg and regular fertlizers.(10-52-17, what ever you want)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Brit man Too suggested the Wesco 30-20-10 TE for vege state, and Wesco 0-52-34 for flowers. Good price on Lazada. Seems to be OK for my little plants.

I've got them too, also suggested by Brit man too. The Veg fertiliser certainly makes for a big plant, with plenty of leaves, they look in great condition too!
Haven't used the flower fertiliser yet, but hopefully soon!

Edited by MrMuddle
added lnes
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, rice555 said:

DIY, page 2, DIY hydro nutes in 5 minutes.

https://www.rollitup.org/t/diy-hydroponic-nutrients-in-5-minutes.894332/  

The link to the calculator goes to a 404.

About using. "Hydro Buddy" to work up a formula.  If you use windoz. machine, you can get Netron 2000, a S/W

from NZ. to "formulate hydro",   10K Bt, will get you about 25,000L of EC 1.0 nutes. if you running R-W coco

R-W is Run To Waste - I have no idea what the rest of it means...????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tomster said:

Believe it or not a nutrient with this NPK would not be allowed in Thailand - 4:2:3

For whatever reason you can only register plant fertilisers that have an NPK that adds up to 20 or more.

Hence the overdoing it on the NPK.

The even sillier thing is that if it doesn't add up to 20 it's not like it can't be classed as a fertiliser, it just can't be registered.

Maybe there is a way around it if the nutrient is made here as Nutra Hydro products don't add up to 20 so maybe there is something else I am not aware of - my experience was with importing but I think it would apply to locally made as well.

Madness.

I rather think this might be the result of the strict pyramid system of authority in Thailand - the boss tells the underlings what to do and it's passed down the chain . . . no discussion, no leeway, JUST DO IT.  So if the boss decides that tiny little formulations (ie 4:2:3) aren't grand enough or impressive enough numbers and insists on bigger ones (even though he has no idea what he's talking about) then that's the way it is and it becomes thwe law of the land.

I had no idea that "20 or more" was the Thai way - explains a lot, particularly about the bigger numbers. It reminds me abut the time I was advised to never let a Thai guy put air in my car tyres - he'll pump them up to 90 psi so that it'll last three times longer. I can imagine that a "wonder grow" bottle of grow juice with 50-0-0 will sell more than what's actually needed at 8-2-2 . . . if they were allowed to sell it at this strength . . . madness indeed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tomster said:

Hi Rob,

I just tried and failed to import a well known Aussie made range of nutrients, the import rules are totally and utterly ridiculous.

So far I know of only two locally made options although I am about to start testing a third in the coming days which I expect to the best priced and most effective going forward.

https://www.accenthydroponicsthailand.com/457887/flowering

I'm not sure which is their grow formula, probably this one:

https://www.accenthydroponicsthailand.com/457886/culture-s

I know people using the flowering version and it seems to work well enough although it's low P.

Also there is a local company that appeared after June 9th - Nutra Hydro:

https://www.lazada.co.th/nutra-hydro/

I'm sure there are others that I don't know of and others will add them - it's a good question.

Cheers.

Hi Tom - thanks for the detailed reply.

I'm a veteran smoker but a novice grower - I've run two grows in Tland, both times in a light tent gowing in a soil mix, and both times chickened out! When they were in flower, even in a closed tent indoors, you could smell it from outside up to 80 yards away downwind. But happily times have now changed and (unless I really P somebody off) nobody's gonna bother with one elderly pensioner growing 6 or 7 plants.

I looked at the links you sent and they were perfect - cheap and formulated near enough - thanks for the pointers. 

But . . . I'm doing a sol grow in 15 ltr (4 gallon) pots. In a small greenhouse with supplementary lighting (due to getting close to the end of the year). Perhaps I simply don't need added nutrients?

It's a good soil mix, with worm cast, guano and bone meal in there. The LED lights are strong enough to provide approx 60 DLI for 6 plants. and I can switch between a blue or red balance. Should I need added nutrients? If so, can I use the solutions you mentioned from Accent Hydroponics? (They'd probably need duluting to perhaps ¼ strength?).

What's your thoughts on this?

If know what you want, you can get the salts(25Kg bags) at WESCO, BKK.

They have the micros sulphates and chelated 1Kg. Moly sml. 100gr.  

You can get smaller amounts of salts from www. stores.

DIY, page 2, DIY hydro nutes in 5 minutes.  About using. "Hydro Buddy" to work up a formula.  If you use windoz. machine, you can get Netron 2000, a S/W

from NZ. to "formulate hydro",   10K Bt, will get you about 25,000L of EC 1.0 nutes. if you running R-W coco.  rice555

599968416_WESCOHYDRO.jpg.90ce95e6148cfd9365ce480891adbacd.jpgMap-wesco.thumb.jpg.da7601344490e1d1f1f5739b7dbbf3dc.jpg and regular fertlizers.(10-52-17, what ever you want)

Many thanks for the info!

1 hour ago, MrMuddle said:

I've got them too, also suggested by Brit man too. The Veg fertiliser certainly makes for a big plant, with plenty of leaves, they look in great condition too!

Thanks - it's a pain in the bum having to mix up 150 litres of soil mix with six ingredients, so I might well get some of this for my New Year Grow. It'll be interesting to compare the results.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, robsamui said:

Hi Tom - thanks for the detailed reply.

I'm a veteran smoker but a novice grower - I've run two grows in Tland, both times in a light tent gowing in a soil mix, and both times chickened out! When they were in flower, even in a closed tent indoors, you could smell it from outside up to 80 yards away downwind. But happily times have now changed and (unless I really P somebody off) nobody's gonna bother with one elderly pensioner growing 6 or 7 plants.

I looked at the links you sent and they were perfect - cheap and formulated near enough - thanks for the pointers. 

But . . . I'm doing a sol grow in 15 ltr (4 gallon) pots. In a small greenhouse with supplementary lighting (due to getting close to the end of the year). Perhaps I simply don't need added nutrients?

It's a good soil mix, with worm cast, guano and bone meal in there. The LED lights are strong enough to provide approx 60 DLI for 6 plants. and I can switch between a blue or red balance. Should I need added nutrients? If so, can I use the solutions you mentioned from Accent Hydroponics? (They'd probably need duluting to perhaps ¼ strength?).

What's your thoughts on this?

Hi Rob,

How are you measuring that DLI as it's very high and normally associated with supplemental Co2 - do you have a reliable PAR meter?

Can you post the model number of the lights?

For the nutrient strength it's all about the soil you are using, do you have a link to the product?

Sorry to answer your question, with questions. ????

5 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Brit man Too suggested the Wesco 30-20-10 TE for vege state, and Wesco 0-52-34 for flowers. Good price on Lazada. Seems to be OK for my little plants.

Ouch! I'm uncomfy with the very high phosphorus level in the Wesco 0-52-34. Managed to find this instead - much milder at 0-12-11!
https://www.lazada.co.th/products/new-size-nutra-hydroponics-nutrabooster-250ml-bottle-compare-to-flower-fuel-general-hydroponics-fox-farm-dwc-i4029111363-s15652250791.html?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomster said:

Hi Rob,

How are you measuring that DLI as it's very high and normally associated with supplemental Co2 - do you have a reliable PAR meter?

For the nutrient strength it's all about the soil you are using, do you have a link to the product?

Sorry to answer your question, with questions. ????

Sorry for the slipped acronym -  should have said that it's a max/up to 60 PAR - 4.5 DLI/20 hours.. I'm using the phone app Photone, which seems to be very reliable according to the YouTube reviews.

Chuckle - China special - 2x 256 LED 250W tri-light panels, adjustable for blue or red bias.

A mix of 4 parts potting soil + 1 part coir + 1 part perlite + 1 part worm cast plus ¼ part bonemeal + ¼ part guano. It seems quite a rich mix, so I've germinated the seedlings in expandable plugs. I've added a top layer of about 2-3 inches of potting compost on top of the soil mix and bedded the plug into this so that the roots can gradually grow down into the nutriments.

I'm thinking that supplemental nourishment should be low - maybe a quarter strength, especially if I use the WESCO 30-20-10?
(I've found a bloom booster at 0-12-11, so that end of it is OK.)

Any ideas??

Edited by robsamui

15 hours ago, tomster said:

have you used his food ? 

if people are going to use the food i suggest caution. reactions tend to happen quite fast with this line. 

its good enough and will produce a decent flower though.

1 hour ago, stoner said:

have you used his food ? 

if people are going to use the food i suggest caution. reactions tend to happen quite fast with this line. 

its good enough and will produce a decent flower though.

I haven't and won't as I am about to start testing a cannabis specific powered nutrient I have had made here - would be interested to get some feedback from others that have tried Nutra Hydro though.

For me powered nutes are the way forward, the prices of good indoor weed will tumble soon and it's going to be all about having unique genetics for a desirable plant and keeping input costs low - powered nutes will be a big part of that.

Cheers.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, stoner said:

for top shelf it will be years. for the ocean of mids about to hit the market in the next 12 months you are right. 

With the amount of cash hungry Thai's getting their first crops in in the coming weeks I can't see the top shelf prices holding personally, maybe in the tourist areas.

Interesting times ahead. ????

• Like 1

10 hours ago, robsamui said:

Sorry for the slipped acronym -  should have said that it's a max/up to 60 PAR - 4.5 DLI/20 hours.. I'm using the phone app Photone, which seems to be very reliable according to the YouTube reviews.

Chuckle - China special - 2x 256 LED 250W tri-light panels, adjustable for blue or red bias.

A mix of 4 parts potting soil + 1 part coir + 1 part perlite + 1 part worm cast plus ¼ part bonemeal + ¼ part guano. It seems quite a rich mix, so I've germinated the seedlings in expandable plugs. I've added a top layer of about 2-3 inches of potting compost on top of the soil mix and bedded the plug into this so that the roots can gradually grow down into the nutriments.

I'm thinking that supplemental nourishment should be low - maybe a quarter strength, especially if I use the WESCO 30-20-10?
(I've found a bloom booster at 0-12-11, so that end of it is OK.)

Any ideas??

OK, so the soil and the way you use it seem fine, it kind of depends on the nutrient level, if any, in the potting soil though.

Are you actually having any problems with the grow currently or just looking around for different nutrient options?

The Wesco 30-20-10 + TE is cheap as chips but here is the analysis:

Total nitrogen (N) 30%

Beneficial Phosphate (P2O5) 20%

Soluble Photash (K2O) 10%

Magnesium (Mgo) 0.03%

Iron (Fe) 0.009%

Manganese (Mn) 0.009%

Copper (Cu) 0.009%

Zinc (Zn) 0.009%

Boron (B) 0.008%

The trace elements are pretty low. I'm not seeing any calcium and almost no magnesium so if it was me I would probably use a Calmag product with it.

As for the nutrient strength you really need to start using an EC Meter.

You soil mix is semi-hot so it has some nutrients but is not fully loaded like many of the Thai mixes.

I would personally keep a total EC of about 0.6 - 0.8 to start with and gradually work it up to about 1.2 - 1.4, but these numbers need to be driven by the way the plants looks and the amount they feed.

Not a perfect answer sorry but we are where we are with the lack of nutrients - hopefully this will get sorted soon.

Cheers.

OK, so the soil and the way you use it seem fine, it kind of depends on the nutrient level, if any, in the potting soil though.

Are you actually having any problems with the grow currently or just looking around for different nutrient options?

The Wesco 30-20-10 + TE is cheap as chips but here is the analysis:

Total nitrogen (N) 30%

Beneficial Phosphate (P2O5) 20%

Soluble Photash (K2O) 10%

Magnesium (Mgo) 0.03%

Iron (Fe) 0.009%

Manganese (Mn) 0.009%

Copper (Cu) 0.009%

Zinc (Zn) 0.009%

Boron (B) 0.008%

The trace elements are pretty low. I'm not seeing any calcium and almost no magnesium so if it was me I would probably use a Calmag product with it.

As for the nutrient strength you really need to start using an EC Meter.

You soil mix is semi-hot so it has some nutrients but is not fully loaded like many of the Thai mixes.

I would personally keep a total EC of about 0.6 - 0.8 to start with and gradually work it up to about 1.2 - 1.4, but these numbers need to be driven by the way the plants looks and the amount they feed.

Not a perfect answer sorry but we are where we are with the lack of nutrients - hopefully this will get sorted soon.

Cheers.

You need to think of me as somebody's granddad, pottering around in his allotment in his retirement - the main difference being that I'm not growing tomatos. I don't know much but am keen to learn. I've just started a new grow with the aim of correcting mistakes made in the past and also trying a few new things.

I've currently got 6 seedlings, a week old. This time around I'm trying using a small greenhouse, with the lower light levels at this time of year supplemented by LED lighting - I'm hoping that this both boosts any low daylight levels and also allows for a 18/6 approach. So, no I'm not having any problems with this grow (yet!). But, now there's no ban on discussing cannabis, I'm grateful for knowledgable advice to make sure that as little goes wrong as possible, right from the start (big cheesy grin). 

"The trace elements are pretty low. I'm not seeing any calcium and almost no magnesium so if it was me I would probably use a Calmag product with it." I've not even got on to considering supplements - could you give some pointers as to what this is and where I can get it? A link would be useful . . . 

"You soil mix is semi-hot so it has some nutrients but is not fully loaded like many of the Thai mixes." I didn't realise you could buy ready-made soil mixes. Again, can you give me a pointer to the kind of thing to look for? (Or did you mean that a lot of the Thais go OTT in making their own mixes?)

Thanks once again for your patience.

Edited by robsamui

So basically there are plenty of ready mixed "Hot Soils" that seem popular here as guess it solves the problem of the nutrient selection being so bad - you just add water and some organic fertiliser and you're good to go.

Examples of these products:

https://www.tumdin.com/super-soil-5-packs

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/5-kg-super-soil-by-cannadude-420-i3826304036-s14580701494.html

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/labsoil-420-20-10kggrowganics-super-soil-i3413206428-s12623952838.html

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/our-store-is-in-stock-t-rex-super-soil-22-65-10-i3979883041-s15409072270.html

https://www.facebook.com/naturalfarmsoil/posts/pfbid0YY47Nt9oNvy3Xy283p6XRrV4kYPrEWgmwsNbC1fosxjpaXxCu4y42poqHWfGHum7l

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/geisha-organic-supersoil-i2929332381-s10736464001.html

And there are several others but you get the idea.

The other option is to use a lightly fertilised peat based mix like this:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/bvb-substrate-medical-peatmoss-70-18-i3096982642-s11425823709.html

This is basically a very low fertilised soil that you can add all your own nutes to and control the entire process, this is I think what the thread is about, finding a well priced nutrient works for this kind of substrate.

I have literally an hour ago just received samples that I have had made that ticks all the boxes (as long as the lab tests check out next week) so hopefully that will be available in the next 2-3 weeks, I plan to give away the first batch for free to active members on this forum to test it, so will post when it's ready to go. ????

In the meantime it's based on this formula so this could be worth investing in as a grow feed if you don't want to go down the hotsoil route:

https://shopee.co.th/Maxi-Gro--10-5-14----GHE--ปุ๋ยหลักทำใบ--i.87157335.7870762290

Just don't use that nutrient with a hotsoil - you will massively over fertilize the plants.

Cheers.

Hell but those ready-made  soils are pricy compared to making-up your own. I suppose if you were honing your grow to perfection it might be desirable - but would it really make that much difference compared to using a soil mix like mine?

Thanks so much for the links - Lazada's search engine is probably the most bizarre and inconsistent I've ever come across (maybe because of the translation problem?) but your links spin off into all sorts of additional nutes and additives and goodies that I never came across when I was hunting to make my soil mix - a great little nest of bookmarks! (Particularly the Maxi-Gro.)

I've got 25 Jack Herer Auto seeds on their way (for a grow in the new year) so I'll then be correcting all the mistakes I make this time around!

Thanks again.

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 2

On 8/24/2022 at 6:49 PM, MrMuddle said:

I agree that the veg version of the Wesco makes for big leafy plants.I have a Blueberry auto thats big but not flowering after 30 days or so.I'm going to shut off the LED for 30 hrs to see if that starts something.I'll be using the flower version soon.

On 8/25/2022 at 10:18 AM, stoner said:

talaad thai has a large selection of cheap local foods. both powder and liquid. 

if you go to the back of the garden section to the left (one of the biggest stores) they have a huge selection of nutrients.

best bring your wife as its all in thai on most of the bottles. happy hunting. 

i am taking master grower there this weekend to see if we can find a formula that he would approve of. 

will post details after i find out. 

so this seems to be the best food available at talaad thai for growing cannabis. 

my mix for soil is 

peat moss

perlite

vermiculite 

worm casting

bat guano

some crab meal would be good as well but having trouble finding it

food.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/25/2022 at 2:42 PM, tomster said:

I have literally an hour ago just received samples that I have had made that ticks all the boxes (as long as the lab tests check out next week) so hopefully that will be available in the next 2-3 weeks, I plan to give away the first batch for free to active members on this forum to test it, so will post when it's ready to go. ????

Hi tomster, add me to your list of people interested in getting a batch of your new sample fertilizer. You seem to know what you're doing and have a bit of experience behind you, so if the lab tests check out to your satisfaction, I'd be willing to buy some from you. This one is for veg only right? And what will you use for flower? Cheers, Richard

• Like 1