2 keys on Notebook Computer not working?

Kenny202

Got a fairly recent Huawei Notebook. Under 2 or 3 years old. 2 keys next to each other recently stop working. Apostrophe and exclamation marks. Could I have inadvertently turned them off some how or something else wrong? Maybe dislodged from PC board or something? I removed the button cover had a look to see if any cr@p in there or anything but cant see anything obvious

Well I have done the trouble shooter on the keyboard, reinstalled drivers. Same issue. I am sure not an expensive repair but don't want to lose my Notebook for a week. Not overly important keys and can use onscreen keyboard if necessary but guessing other keys will possibly fail in time, usually how it goes. Not going to have much choice I guess

Basically, individual keys can not be fixed.  I replaced the keyboards in a Lenovo and a HP laptop at the same time I replaced the HDDs with SSDs.  Both were popular model laptops so I had a lot of choice on Lazada though I suspected that most were the same keyboard from the same manufacturer.

There were several YT videos showing how to do it.  They were a big help because some of the screws were really hidden.

If I were the OP, I'd check first with Huawei and see if there is a known defect they will cover.  Googling "Huawei laptop keyboard defect" showed OP is not alone with issues.

I have some times problems with changing positions of the special keys on my keyboard, well- my problem is I change the keyboard between different language and there the positions is changing for some of the special keys. I would check the language settings, just to be sure.

If its a technical problem I would think about an external keyboard, they are cheap and easy/fast to install and you can make you more comfortable when you are working on the notebook.

Good luck

It is quite easy to replace a keyboard. If you can't do it yourself:

Find a keyboard module for your model of the notebook on Lazada or Aliexpress, buy it, find a guy who could replace it. Usually they sit surrounded by old TVs and wash machines.  I think 300 baht for the replacement is ok.

Or in any mobile repair shop...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Well I have done the trouble shooter on the keyboard, reinstalled drivers. Same issue. I am sure not an expensive repair but don't want to lose my Notebook for a week. Not overly important keys and can use onscreen keyboard if necessary but guessing other keys will possibly fail in time, usually how it goes. Not going to have much choice I guess

Has your far left key (Apostrophe and Approximate symbols) been 're-assigned' to the function of switching between English and Thai? 

Edited by scorecard

16 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Has your far left key (Apostrophe and Approximate symbols) been 're-assigned' to the function of switching between English and Thai? 

I thought maybe I inadvertently did something like that, but I am now using a remote blue tooth keyboard and all keys working on that normally. I assume if I reassigned keys or did something like that would also have the same issue on the remote keyboard? When I use those faulty keys on the notebook pad I don't see anything noticeable happening like language or anything else changing, pop ups etc. 

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I assume you have Windows running?

What happens if you press <Alt>+<Shift>?

Does it show a "popup" for language setting?

Is there a language indicator on the right side of the task bar?

There is a pop up and set to language English / Australian. Which as far as I know always been set like that. I never swap languages...not knowingly anyway. Mrs has her own PC

Edited by Kenny202

16 minutes ago, Baron Samedi said:

You could clean your keyboard with a compressed air spray and a brush.

Also leave your computer in a dry place at all times. Humidity in Thailand will ruin it very quickly if you ain't careful.

Its in the living room air con 70% of the time. I did brush it and blow it but looks like under the key cap, the switch itself is enclosed / encapsulated. In any case it is 2 switches adjacent to each other. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Thats a good idea, I see there is custom mapping in keyboard set up. Might give that a try

I was about to give you the same advice.

Try to remap if cleaning doesn't work.

You could also try to find a keyboard testing tool on Google.

Can't recommend one unfortunately but I know they exist.

A good way to see if your keys are actually dead.

Just now, Baron Samedi said:

I was about to give you the same advice.

Try to remap if cleaning doesn't work.

You could also try to find a keyboard testing tool on Google.

Can't recommend one unfortunately but I know they exist.

A good way to see if your keys are actually dead.

I did try a keyboard tester. They only show you if the key is doing anything. Pretty much the same as typing something into a document

• Like 2