Work permit to retirement extension with dependant

I currently have a work permit with my wife a dependant that expires in November. I plan to use Wise to transfer 1,600,000 baht into a Thai bank account in my name and hold it for two months, then apply for an extension of stay based on retirement for myself and for my wife as a dependant. I am over 50 but my wife is under 50 and a Chinese citizen.

I'm hoping this is straight forward, are there any obstacles I need to consider? The application will be at Jomtien immigration.

Thanks for your help, John

You will only need 800k baht in a bank account in your name only for 2 months on the day you apply.

Your wife will not need any financial proof to apply for a one year extension for being a member of you family. 

Be sure your marriage certificate has been legalized by an authority in the country (or the embassy) where you registered your marriage. and if not in English translated to Thai and certified by the Department of Consular Affairs in Bangkok.

As @fceligojsaid, you'll need to cancel your WP. You'll be on overstay from the following day, although the first week is a relatively soft period. So you should coordinate first WP cancellation (done at a City Hall office, Labour or something), then on the same day go to Immigration and convert your non-Imm B to a non-Imm O (Ret). The WP cancellation can be done by yourself, but depending on the specific cases it might be better if you are accompanied by one person from your company with the relevant termination letter.

This is all possible by yourself if you have all the papers and copies ready, however when I did the same a few years ago I used an agent which was a big peace of mind (and time saving), for a reasonable amount. Especially considering that you will have to deal also with your wife's.

Why 1,6M? 800k for yourself is sufficient.

39 minutes ago, fceligoj said:

If you are planning to get a retirement extension AND NOT A MARRIAGE EXTENSION, then you need to cancel your work permit.  Can't have both.

Hopefully the OP is well aware of that, as being married to a Chinese citizen means a Marriage Extension is impossible!

Edited by brewsterbudgen