Has anyone re-entered Thailand after expiration of a 'dodgy' volunteer visa?

So this question follows on from conversation in prior threads. Basically there's a threat/hypothesis that passport holders who have a 'dodgy' volunteer visa from the Covid period (those issued in Korat, without a given volunteer organisation, for example) would be denied re-entry to Thailand if they tried to come back on the same passport housing that visa.

It seems very far fetched, but I'd be keen to know if anyone had first hand experience of being allowed/denied entry in these circumstances?

Cheers

just wondering if anyone has new information about this post from last year...

anyone has an update from the last few months regarding the situation with volunteer visas? if you leave Thailand and return after the volunteer visa has expired - will you be detained in the airport for questioning? or will you be allowed in with a 'visa on arrival'?  would it be better to apply for a proper Thai tourist visa before entering Thailand at a Thai Embassy of my country?

Thank you!

1 hour ago, eiszele2005 said:

Yes. My wife, baby and Myself arrived back on 8th June after 2 of those visas, once the immigration seen them I was grilled as to if I used an agent, both mine an my wife's ignorance to the question sparked the red button. On arrival the boss took the passport and said "it was OK this time because I had a proper Non O, but I was lucky if I hadn't I would have probably been sent home." 

So yes get a visa before coming, still doesn't gaurantee entry but greatly increase the odds. 

Wow, sorry to hear about that unpleasant experience. Glad you and your family made it in the end.

Anyone else has a feedback?

Thanks.

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

I cannot fully answer your question. Any time there is any doubt on your reception when returning to Thailand, having a tourist visa in hand definitely improves your chances compared with relying on visa exemption.

Thanks.

What about issuing a new passport? Will that be the 'safest' option? 

2 hours ago, webber4 said:

Thanks.

What about issuing a new passport? Will that be the 'safest' option? 

At immigration, the new passport should make no difference. Immigration can see your full history of periods in Thailand in their computer. It is possible that a passport full of stamps might have a psychological effect on some officials. I personally would not bother with a new passport, but I would not accuse those who did of being stupid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluemoonpattaya said:

I knew of someone with a similar problem, and he accidently left his passport in his washing.................. He did try to dry it out, but his dog chewed it up........   ????

Well he presumably wouldn't have even been able to board a plane to Thailand in the first place, then. 

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

At immigration, the new passport should make no difference. Immigration can see your full history of periods in Thailand in their computer. It is possible that a passport full of stamps might have a psychological effect on some officials. I personally would not bother with a new passport, but I would not accuse those who did of being stupid.

Thank you! So I guess getting a proper thai tourist visa from an embassy with my current passport will be the best option, right?

Edited by webber4
Correction

30 minutes ago, webber4 said:

Thank you! So I guess getting a proper thai tourist visa from an embassy with my current passport will be the best option, right?

That would be my choice. There is one other possible precaution, though it would probably be costly. Although the biggest risk is with visa exempt entry, some airport officials (in my view improperly) can decide to refuse to honour tourist visas if they do not like your immigration history. That has only been observed in a few airports, but includes Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang. I have never seen a report of it happening in Chiang Mai. If you want to reduce an already small risk further, you could try to fly into Chiang Mai rather than Bangkok. I might possibly do that if it could be done without too much cost and inconvenience. Flying to, say, Vientiane and entering by land is 100% safe, but probably even more expensive and inconvenient. At the end of the day, there comes a point where risks are so small that they become acceptable.

• Like 2

Wow, very useful information, thank you very much.

may i ask as well - when I look at international flights to Chiang Mai they all seem to have a stop in Bangkok airport - does that mean I will be checked there at immigration or in Chaing Mai?

also, what about flying to Koh Samui? (again most flights seem to pass through bangkok) - are the officials there problematic or more loose like Chiang Mai?

Thank you!

1 minute ago, Mikeheo said:

Yeah via Suvarnabhumi. After the volunteer visa, I had 2 covid extensions then a marriage visa with a re-entry permit.

That's the same situation as myself but without any covid extensions, I plan to go to the States in February and i land back in Suvarnbhumi so that is good to hear.