Getting an International Driving License in Thailand

ezzra

No such thing as an international driving licence. It is an International Driving Permit (IDP) 1949 and 1968 convention.

One applies for an IDP from a dlt office issuing IDP and to obtain one a residence certificate is required, passport and current 5 year driving license and a pp size photo.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Can you get an IDP from the Thai DLT if you are holding a 2 year temp Thai Driving license ? 

Not supposed to be able to do.

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

If I’m not mistaken you need the 5 yr license.

Correct as @userabcd mentioned in an earlier post.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Article 10: Using a license from Vietnam to drive in another country

Everything you wrote after this is completely irrelevant.

And although it is nice for you to point out the obligations of Vietnam to international treaty conventions, in practice, to quote the US Embassy:

"Foreign driver licenses, even when accompanied by an international driving permit, are not valid in Vietnam.  Even though a driver’s license from an ASEAN country may be recognized in certain circumstances as valid in Vietnam, it is still advised to obtain a local Vietnamese driver’s license if you wish to drive legally in Vietnam."

As a matter of practice, Vietnam does not allow non- Thais to use Thai licences even with an IDP/IDL. 

7 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

At your local DLT

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

where do i apply for International Driving License 

Note not all DLT's are able to provide the service. For example if you reside in Pattaya the one near Regents does not and you have to go to the main Chonburi city DLT.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, userabcd said:

No. They will not isdue an IDP on a 2 yr driving license

True. I did try when i lost my 5 year license and IDP due to visa issues. Not a chance.

10 minutes ago, userabcd said:

and one is not allowed to drive abroad using a temp 2 yr Thai driving license. 5 yr license is required.

Source? I researched this quite extensively when i was stuck with the 2 year one. I could not find any support for this claim, and i did use it in other countries. Including car rentals as far as i can remember.

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

what do you need to bring with you? i'm told a letter from immigration is being asked for..

Depending on the Land Transport Office some will accept a yellow house registration book (tabian bahn) in lieu of the residence certificate from immigration.

While noting that the OP didn't mention using an IDP in Vietnam, I'd observe that:

If Jeremy Clarkson (see Top Gear - Vietnam episode) could get a Vietnamese Driving Licence (maybe only at the upmteenth try) then you should be able to as well?