Cost of Setting Up a Grow Room

Eddie45

As word of caution. I went cheap on the lights 1k and ended up with skinny tall mf that I don't expect to survive or yield anything. Also should have found blue light for seeding stage to make them a bit stronger.

Then I learned about something called lumins and my 1k light is has about 7k lumins up fairly close, likely too low for veg state.

I've enjoyed the learning process but I also could have done with and could still do with someone recommending an entry level set up that will yield decent flower. On lazada every product has stuck a sticker on themselves and started selling as cannabis product and they are not suitable at all.

Mine will likely move to balcony as soon I think they strong enough, local seeds so okay for this experiment and learning phase.

• Like 1

Are you growing autos or photos, photos take longer than 16 weeks.

Will you use a tent?

Day 1 start-up costs for a 4x4, maybe a 480 LED, plus all the bits/bobs, 20,000 - 30,000. It adds up, tent, lights, fans, timers, inline fan/filter, seeds, soil/supersoil, fertilizer, water/treatment, meters.

This assumes you have a room equipped with an AC unit already. If not, add that to the bill.

You could make your own equipment list, share it here, we'll price it for you.

Day 1 start-up obviously excludes running costs over the grow period.

Thanks for the info on start up costs. The room has got AC already. I will share my equipment list. What temperature does the AC need to be set at and have got any idea how much it costs for the electricity over the grow period for the lights and AC. 

50 minutes ago, Bangel72 said:

Could also do with an explanation on the aircon comments above?

Is that just in the grow tent the airflow and filter?

Or are we talking about general room aircon aswell, the latter would be a blocker due to cost?

you dont want your temperatures too high. not good especially when flowering. I keep my room at 24c with ac (plus I use a dehumidfier)  and then use an extract fan to pull it through my tent (have small fans in tent for airflow)  and that keeps my tent at around 26c

Edited by CraigInBangkok
  • Like 2

Just now, stoner said:

mids = average bud that most growers grow (if they are even succcessful) 

and a whole ocean of them out there. 

Ah right, gotchya.

But still, you absolutely do not need CO2 to grow top shelf weed, the vast majority of top shelf is grown without it.

It's excellent if you can use it but this thread is for a grower just starting out, recommending CO2 could possibly put him off needlessly. 

@stoner by the way I watched this video yesterday, loads of stuff there about Co2 (and the move to carbon based nutrients) I didn't know, well worth a watch:

21 minutes ago, tomster said:

A lot of LED lights don't have enough blue spectrum for veg phase, but it's easy to add. As a rough guide Mars Hydro lights tend to be spectrally correct, you can't go too far wrong with that brand.

fluence LED. amazing lights check them out if you never heard. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Eddie45 said:

What temperature does the AC need to be set at and have got any idea how much it costs for the electricity over the grow period for the lights and AC. 

I'd say 23.

With quite a few assumptions, as you've provided very little detail, and using the new MEA direct-owner rates (you'll pay nearly double if you're renting), my SWAG is 25,000 for a typical photo grow.

Equipment ~ 30,000 to get going.

Figure 0.5 grams per watt (first grow) with 480 watt LED, six plants = 240 grams. If you nail it. ~ 22 weeks, plus another 5 ~ 6 for drying and curing.

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

I'd say 23.

With quite a few assumptions, as you've provided very little detail, and using the new MEA direct-owner rates (you'll pay nearly double if your renting), my SWAG is 25,000 for a typical photo grow.

Equipment ~ 30,000 to get going.

Figure 0.5 grams per watt (first grow) with 480 watt LED, six plants = 240 grams. If you nail it. ~ 22 weeks, plus another 5 ~ 6 for drying and curing.

Your grows are 22 weeks?

Did you mean 12 weeks?

Drying around 5 days plus 2-4 weeks cure is pretty standard but obviously depends on your technique and desperation to smoke the final product...????

• Like 1

On 9/8/2022 at 3:05 PM, bamnutsak said:

IMO you need a dedicated room, with aircon and ideally, even fresh outside air supply and exhaust.

You can calculate the kilowatt hours easily, but need to know what's being grown. For photos, 18/6 for veg, 12/12 for flower. For autos many run 20/4 for the entire run.

People underestimate the cost, time, challenges and dedication required to grow quality cannabis.

I like sausage. You don't see me raising pigs in my living room, nor do I have an abatoir in my loo, or a smoker in my kitchen. I buy sausages at the market.

Very very well said.

I bought a Mars 300w with a good rep for 10k, a grow tent was B3,200, fans B400 ea. Then there's things like electrical leads, soil/grow media, pots etc. It's working fine so far, but there's no air con and temps are about 3 degrees hotter in the tent than outside.

Once upon a time the best cannabis was suited to hot climates, now it's cooler climates but there are strains available that can cope with the heat and the tent will be cooler that outside under the sun. Whether these strains are as strong as other varieties I don't know, but life's a compromise.

With more countries legalizing cannabis, I think there will be a move away from lights, mainly due to cost. One thing about the sun is nobody's paying for it, so nobody's paying for ads, articles and blog posts telling you how good it is.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, tomster said:

Good lights.

Not anytime soon in Thailand. ????

Yes, happy with the light.

It's great the emphasis here is on growing, in rural areas they are selling seedlings at the corner stall. With a 15 plant rule and plenty of farmers who can't afford indoor, it may be sooner than later.

Back on topic, I think the OP should go with the most basic system, provided it can be improved later. It's worth remembering most add ons will mean more electricity; more plugs and leaders, so more danger.

Disagree with almost everything posted.

No need for air-con, it's been the coldest year I've ever known in Thailand.

But Thai strains or western strains? There's a big difference.

Started lots off Thai seeds this year, none of them liked being inside, all looked a bit yellow.

Put them outside once they were big enough to survive the slugs and snails, and they're all going gangbusters and greened up. Just started flowering (one deader out of 15).

Back to OP,

Got three western photo fem strains going in my tent (Tropical Punch, Bubblegummer, Cheeselicious) growing well and totally green but still in the cloning stage (same growing conditions as the Thai strains but much greener). No air-con, tent open HLG240 light plus Quantum boards (about 10Kbht for Mars Hydro 2x4 tent, and HLG240 light).

The most important part of your indoor grow is the light.