Electric Capture Surge Protection Device

Bangkokhatter

Have just had a prototype of this device fitted into my consumer unit.

It was invented and designed in Korea and its main function is as the title suggests, my main reason for agreeing to the installation was safety. However they also claim there could be savings of up to 30% on your electric bills. Part of my agreement for the installation is monitoring of my electric usage via the MEA smart App.

I am not an Electrician by trade (more Mechatronic) so don't fully understand how it works but they claim the electric savings are based on any Earth leakage going back into the system, savings obviously depend on how good your house wiring is.

The safety aspect is self explanatory in the video attached, taken by me.

Currently not available for domestic sale in Thailand until probably the end of this year, the device can be used in both single and 3 phase.

If anyone wants more info and a better demonstration video let me know and i can pass it on.

ECSPD_1.jpg

13 minutes ago, Bangkokhatter said:

However they also claim there could be savings of up to 30% on your electric bills.

This is a major red flag!!!

It will be most interesting to see what actually occurs.

But there is no way that a device as shown in your photo could be anywhere near fast enough to prevent a lightning induced surge. Sustained over-voltage yes, but there are plenty of those on Lazada.

Please do post your better video.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Crossy said:

This is a major red flag!!!

It will be most interesting to see what actually occurs.

But there is no way that a device as shown in your photo could be anywhere near fast enough to prevent a lightning induced surge. Sustained over-voltage yes, but there are plenty of those on Lazada.

Please do post your better video.

As i said they claim the energy savings, part of the reason for the installation is to see if those claims are true

Will ask them to send me the presentation video.

Edited by Bangkokhatter
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Sorry, just curious!

Sorry for being short.

A good friend of mine is involved in the start up company being formed here and i went along to one of the presentations.

I questioned the electricity saving claim and they asked if they could fit the prototype in my house so we can actually see how much, if any, savings are made.

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

The problem is that "zero" fits nicely into the "up to 30%" bracket.

I'm afraid that 110% of the devices promising to save on your energy bill with a simple plug-in device as all smoke and mirrors.

We will see, however this is far from a simple plug in device and there have been no promises of anything.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bangkokhatter said:

this is far from a simple plug in device and there have been no promises of anything.

That is excellent news as while it certainly could be a surge protector there is no way you are going to be losing more than a tiny amount (micro amps) from earth leakage with out an  extraordinarily bad install  and not even that much if you have an RCCB. So as already opined it can’t work, the fact that there are multiple connections and components are irrelevant.

also if 30% of your power usage is going to earth, or even 1%, you would know all about it.

19 hours ago, Bangkokhatter said:

I questioned the electricity saving claim and they asked if they could fit the prototype in my house so we can actually see how much, if any, savings are made.

Did they refuse to give you even a basic overview of the principles behind their electricity savings claim?

1 hour ago, unheard said:

Did they refuse to give you even a basic overview of the principles behind their electricity savings claim?

Maybe i did not explain myself too well in the OP.

They claim there could be up to 30% savings but have no empirical evidence. Their next step is to test the prototype in real situations which is what they are doing.  

I was happy to agree, it's obvious safety features are a bonus (despite some of the comments from so-called AN experts) and if it turns out the claims are not as expected what do i care ?

21 hours ago, Crossy said:

By the way, the water demo works just fine with an unprotected supply. Reasonably pure water is a pretty poor conductor. Ask him to get hold of a live conductor and I might take notice.

Please feel free to post your demonstration using an unprotected supply

15 minutes ago, Bangkokhatter said:

They claim there could be up to 30% savings but have no empirical evidence. Their next step is to test the prototype in real situations which is what they are doing.

You're a brave man!

Please keep us posted.