Retirement Visa

I just received this from a friend in Krabi;

Retirees who request a one-year permit to stay must satisfy these qualifications:

1. Hold a valid non-immigrant O visa.

2. Be 50 years of age, or older.

3. Have income from one of these sources:

3.1 Pension, Social Security, Interest or Dividend of not less than 65,000 baht per month.

or

3.2 Have not less than 800,000 baht deposited in any Thai bank account (savings or fixed-term account) for not less than three months before the application date. Account name must be only in the applicant’s name or may be a joint account in the name of the applicant and his/her registered married spouse only.

or

3.3 The applicant’s total income derived from 3.1 expected to be received over the 12-month period being applied for PLUS the money deposited in a Thai bank account for at least three months must not be less than 800,000 baht.

Application documents required:

1. Application form (TM7), which is provided by Immigration office.

2. A recent 2 x 2-inch photos of applicant.

3. Copy of passport (copy of face page and page with most recent Thai visa).

4. Evidence of income:

4.1 In case of applicant applying for permit to stay on the basis of receiving income while staying in Thailand (as listed in 3.1), the documents must be issued by the original source less than one month before the application date.

The applicant must show proof that money received from the above sources is spent in Thailand, such as Thai bankbooks and evidence of Thai credit card and cash card transactions.

4.2 In case of applicant applying for permit to stay on the basis of having 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account, applicants must provide a letter from the Thai bank and a copy of the bankbook showing the three months before the application date, proving that there is 800,000 in the account.

If the account has the spouse’s name, applicant must provide a copy of the marriage license.

4.3 In case of applicant applying for permit to stay on the basis of a combination of income and money deposited in a Thai bank account (see 3.3), applicants must show documents according to requirements listed in 4.2 and 4.3.

5. The Immigration Officer reviewing the application reserves the right to ask more additional documents.

Note: Any documents filed in languages other than Thai or English must be translated into Thai or English and the translation and the information the documents contain must be verified as accurate by the embassy or consul of the applicant’s home country.

Also, when applying in person the applicant must bring ALL original documents.”

Saturday, June 23, 2007 Pol Capt Krissarat Nuesen of Phuket Immigration Office.

Yes, these are the standard requirements, except that so far nobody has reported that an applicant using income as evidence of financial means had to get his embassy letter translated into Thai. Did your friend apply recently on this basis and needed a Thai translation of this letter at the Krabi Immigration office?

Quite often, the website of an Immigration office says one thing but how they implement it is another thing. It will be interesting to hear the actual experience from applicants at the Krabi office.

--

Maestro

Yes, these are the standard requirements, except that so far nobody has reported that an applicant using income as evidence of financial means had to get his embassy letter translated into Thai. Did your friend apply recently on this basis and needed a Thai translation of this letter at the Krabi Immigration office?

Quite often, the website of an Immigration office says one thing but how they implement it is another thing. It will be interesting to hear the actual experience from applicants at the Krabi office.

--

Maestro

I doubt if many readers of this forum will have been required to translate the embassy letter into Thai as English is also acceptable as the OP correctly states.

"The applicant must show proof that money received from the above sources is spent in Thailand, such as Thai bankbooks and evidence of Thai credit card and cash card transactions."

that means the information i received a couple of months ago is correct, i.e. in future it is not sufficient to show a balance only but also that the money is spent.

edited for addendum:

those who can't afford to spend 800k p.a. have to find some way to circumvent the above mentioned rule.

Edited by Dr. Naam

Interesting and welcome document - I hope we see the same from other offices.

This sets out requirement for new letter every year issued within one month of renewal. No more using copies it seems.

I do not see any mention that letter needs to be translated if done in English, or did I miss something?

This also establishes requirement to show evidence of local money transfer/use but does not require the 65k each month transfer that some people believe is required or that the entire amount be transferred. So an account used for living expense with wire transfers into it seems to be the standard. Be careful reading the credit card use statement as it says "Thai" so it probably does not include foreign cards.

This also provides for a joint account with spouse which is very helpful - some officers have not allowed this from reports.

This specifically includes fixed deposit accounts as acceptable.

It sets 800k as the total criteria using combined method so you can calculate the requirement.

The photo copies did not include the arrival card (TM.6) which has always been a requirement so I question that. Also believe they previously wanted all stamps after the visa (such as entry/exit and extensions of stay).

The 2"x2" seems to be designed for those that are metric challenged as the TM.7 forum specifically requires the size to be 4x6cm and do not believe that has changed.

Also the term "marriage license" should probably be marriage certificate.

Just reread OP post.

I think most retirees would fall at the first hurdle - Clause I.

They would have an invalid visa but a valid extension of stay at the time of applying for further extension.

Gary A,

Is this a from a document issued by Phuket Immigration or a press report. If the former has your friend added his own clarifications?

As Lopburi poins out it is puzzling the photo size is quoted wrongly and in inches.

It implies a bank a/c can be in the wifes name only which would be a bonus for those who find it hard to open an account in their name -I doubt if other offices will accept this.

There have been numerous reports that immigration want to see activity on accounts of retirees going the income route. It is puzzling if this is to be official policy that they don't want to see activity on 800k savings a/c (or if it is on fixed deposit, in another account in the applicants name).

I doubt if many readers of this forum will have been required to translate the embassy letter into Thai as English is also acceptable as the OP correctly states.

I can report of 2 cases where an Income letter in English of the German respectively US Embassy was accepted and enough to change from a Tourist Visa to a Non-O-Visa inside the country at Suan Plu.

Just reread OP post.

I think most retirees would fall at the first hurdle - Clause I.

They would have an invalid visa but a valid extension of stay at the time of applying for further extension.

Gary A,

Is this a from a document issued by Phuket Immigration or a press report. If the former has your friend added his own clarifications?

As Lopburi poins out it is puzzling the photo size is quoted wrongly and in inches.

It implies a bank a/c can be in the wifes name only which would be a bonus for those who find it hard to open an account in their name -I doubt if other offices will accept this.

There have been numerous reports that immigration want to see activity on accounts of retirees going the income route. It is puzzling if this is to be official policy that they don't want to see activity on 800k savings a/c (or if it is on fixed deposit, in another account in the applicants name).

My friend just marked it as "For your information". I doubt he would have edited anything. This guy is QUITE well off but he is becoming disenchanted with the whole system. He has been here about 12 years, has a Thai girlfriend and a daughter by her.

One other fine point would be 4.1 does not require the bank letter - which would be nice as that is often harder to obtain than the extension itself. Also note it does not mention photo copies of bank book being required so not sure if they would be requested or just officer viewing passbook would be enough.

I'm afraid that, as normal, I'm a bit confused.

Say I've got an income of 80k per month from property in the UK (no pension) and I have that certified by the British Embassy. I have no Thai bank account, but live off ATM withdrawals here from my UK account. Let's say that my wife and I get by on 38k a month (I appreciate that this is a retirement question, not marriage). My bank statements from the UK show the 38k being withdrawn from Thai ATMs from the overseas account.

Would this work?

Or would I have to wire money over here to a Thai bank? Say the 38k and the passbook shows that it's all used every month?

If it the latter, then Phuket's information is contradictory to what my local office in Hua Hin told me a few weeks ago. I do appreciate that different offices can interpret the rules differently.

Can anyone help me on this?

The applicant must show proof that money received from the above sources is spent in Thailand, such as Thai bankbooks and evidence of Thai credit card and cash card transactions.

A couple of comments/questions. The above implies you need to have lived here for a year already to prove you have spent the money. that's going to be difficult to prove if you've just arrived and want to apply for a retirement visa. I am planning on retiring next year, and planned to transfer the money into Thailand a few months ahead of arriving (I already have a Thai account, but am currenrly not working in Thailand). I'd thenn arrive on a two month tourist visa and get it changed to retirement visa once there. How does one prove the money is "spent" and over what period of time. Sound rather vague and confusing. Surely if there's proof of 800,000 in the bank for several monhts should be OK?

Also no mention in the above postings of a health certificate. Has this been dropped?

Artamus

The 800k in bank route makes no mention of spending any money. In fact it clearly says you can use a fixed account.

For the 65k method they want to see a bank account but they have not made any requirement on funds required - so if first year there would not be the same expectations as later years.

The health certificate has not bee required of those in system this year but some new applications have reported it being requested - if new might be best to ask them.

Remember so far we have no confirmation that this is really an official policy document.

...and just to confuse further, we (husband and I) just got our first year visa for retirement in Phuket. We went through a visa assistance agency in Phuket Town. They said no need for the 80K to be in for 3 months - only a few days OK if you go through them (he grinned). We in fact had the 80K in for about 2 months and all went through OK, no problems.

...and just to confuse further, we (husband and I) just got our first year visa for retirement in Phuket. We went through a visa assistance agency in Phuket Town. They said no need for the 80K to be in for 3 months - only a few days OK if you go through them (he grinned). We in fact had the 80K in for about 2 months and all went through OK, no problems.

The requirement is 800k so assume that is what you used.

Be careful reading the credit card use statement as it says "Thai" so it probably does not include foreign cards.

I don't want to cause serious thread drift, but the issue of Thai credit cards raises a question I hadn't considered: Can a farang retiree obtain a credit card from a bank (or department store?) in Thaliand, assuming no work permit/no job?

I do not see any mention that letter needs to be translated if done in English, or did I miss something?

Oops!! I read the OP too fast and did not see the “or English” (highlighting mine in following quote):

...Note: Any documents filed in languages other than Thai or English must be translated into Thai or English...
--

Maestro

Be careful reading the credit card use statement as it says "Thai" so it probably does not include foreign cards.

I don't want to cause serious thread drift, but the issue of Thai credit cards raises a question I hadn't considered: Can a farang retiree obtain a credit card from a bank (or department store?) in Thaliand, assuming no work permit/no job?

the answer is YES. my wife and me have debit as well as credit cards from SBC and we are in Thailand on "retiree visas".

The requirement is 800k so assume that is what you used.

sorry meant 800K - but only in our accounts 2 months.

sorry meant 800K - but only in our accounts 2 months.

I am assuming you each had 800k. You may be aware that only you or your husband need go the 800k route. The other could obtain a one year extension as family member.

I expect immigration would require the man to be the retiree -sexists!

• 2 weeks later...
I just received this from a friend in Krabi;

Retirees who request a one-year permit to stay must satisfy these qualifications:

3.2 Have not less than 800,000 baht deposited in any Thai bank account (savings or fixed-term account) for not less than three months before the application date. Account name must be only in the applicant’s name or may be a joint account in the name of the applicant and his/her registered married spouse only.

or

3.3 The applicant’s total income derived from 3.1 expected to be received over the 12-month period being applied for PLUS the money deposited in a Thai bank account for at least three months must not be less than 800,000 baht.

To meet the requirements of the retirement visum I tried to open a bank account here in Hat Yai. At three banks I was ask for a "work permit", which I do not have. Which bank will allow me to open an account to finally send 800K THB to this account to be able to meet the requirement when I apply for a retirement visa in Germany.

Thank you for your solution of this "catch 22"

walter

You should be able to find a bank to open an account but you may have to ask at several branches (it is up to the branch) and perhaps ask at higher level than cashier. But if you are planning on obtaining the retirement OA visa in Germany that is where the money should be. You then transfer during the first year so that you have for annual one year extension of stay from Immigration.

In recent months, Thai local banks have been hit with a spate of foreign nationals presenting false ID, to open bank accounts.  More than one of these banks have found themselves in sticky situations with money laundering and drug cash being moved through their system.

Some if not all banks now a letter (statutory declaration) from you embassy verifing that you say who your and that your domicile is as stated on the account application letter. This always make the opneing process a lot easier!

Even asked me the other day at Bank of Auyhaya (BAY)!

Most bank managers will give you an account if you present yourself and your purpose well and will also issue you a Visa/Mastercard debit card.

Good Banking

Badbanker

Edited by Badbanker