Taking A Motorbike To Malaysia For A Week

I was all set to do a nice cruise to Panang on a buddy's bike next week when I started to consider the implications... I made a couple of calls to people that do the run but thier bikes are Malaysian registered in thier name so its a bit different.

I have been told I can take a bike that is not registered to me out of the country if I have the owners letter of consent, a copy of thier ID card / Passport, the ownership papers (or a copy) and purchase Malaysian insurance (can be done at the border)...

Can anyone confirm ??

The issue gets double complex as the owner (my buddy) does not have the bike in his name either, I have not yet seen the papers but assume it is in a thai GF's name with a reciept of sale to my buddy. I should know the facts on this tonight.

Lastly my buddy said why not simply write a reciept to me stating I bought it and carry the owners book and the thai girls ID copy, the receipt etc, etc as he is.. The fact that I am going to Panang to get a visa can also explain the lack of having it in my name (eg catch 22 I need to go to Panang to get visa, I need visa to get bike in name)... Any comments on this idea ?? Seems unlikely for success in my opinion.

So anyone take vehicles in Malaysia ?? any ideas ?? Tips or tricks ??

Its suddenly gone from being a nice simple idea to cruise around and get a visa at the same time to a logistical hassle...

Really ??

Well here I stand doing my last email / post before attempting it anyway... I have spent 2 days getting everything I needed ready and the bike serviced up and will at least give it a go..

I have the bike ownership papers.. A copy of her ID with a 'I give permission for X to use the bike outside of thailand signed on it' and (even though I dont wish to present this it will be a last ditch attempt) I have a copy of the sale reciept from her to my friend and one from my friend to me makinbg it my bike (remember I cant get the bike in my name currently and need a visa to do so).

The way I see it I can only give it my best shot (and perhaps 500 baht :o ) and worst case scenario I get to have a nice bike cruise and do a 30 day visa run if all else fails.. Should home late tonight if they wont let me in !!!

Wish me luck.

I done that trip some years ago, 750 Honda Magna: Pattaya - Penang - Phuket - Pattaya, i had no problem getting the Bike over, but i did have the Book. ( not in my name). I also done it in a rental car, with the permission of the owner in writing , both times i crossed with no hassle, and another time i took a pick up that was in my Gfs name, and she was with me, again no hassle. This is going back a few years, maybe things have changed now. Good luck anyway.

Its an experience.

Well returned from a record breaking speed run to Penang (will do a full report and some info about multi B's in the other forum) and back with visa in sub 40 hours...

No one mentioned the bike, its papers, who owned, it or anything in relation to it whatsoever !!! I simply arrived.. Presented my passport like a foot passenger... Rode through.. Did the same with the Malaysians.. Rode on !!! The same in reverse on the way back. No one even mentioned or questioned anything about it !!

I also was never asked to buy insurance in Malaysia at the border for my duration of stay and never did.

Hi LivingLos,

To begin with, I am glad that you have been successful in visiting Penang from Thailand

with your motorcycle without any problems. Good for you.

Now let me explain in a different scenario.

" Ignorance of the law " is no excuse.

Assuming that Mr. Hero is visiting Penang with a motorbike or car, ( not the real owner).....

and without a Malaysian ' Third Party Motor Insurance '.

Scenario No. 1.

If stop by Police, or other law enforcement agencies.

He will be charged, pay a fine or face other inconveniences, particularly, he is not the legal

owner of the vehicle. ( No Third Party Motor Insurance is a serious offence. )

Scenario No. 2.

If an accident....... causing death to the other party.

With or without insurance, the driver will be detained by the police for further investigations.

Subsequently........ the victim's family will sue Mr. Hero for big compensation. The amonut will

be decided by the courts. If Mr. Hero has a ' Third Party Motor Insurance ' . No problem, his

Insurance will pay the costs.

However, assuming Mr. Hero has not bought the insurance, then Mr. Hero will have to pay all costs.

If not, then he will get some sort of Permanent Residence in Malaysia's ' Bangkok Hilton'.

The last and the most important scenario : If an accident involving death, and if convicted for

dangerous driving causing death...... a jail term is very likely.

Keep smiling and have a nice day. Sawatdi krap !

:o

Mr Fox, that you for you raccurate assesment of the risks I took..

Though I was actually told (bar room so am not surprised if incorrect) that having insurance in Malaysia is optional in the same way it is optional in many counties including the USA.. Eg any and all risks are mine to pay for if I incurr an accident. So not sure that scenario 1 is acutally correct or not..

Hi LivinLos,

Thank you for your quick response.

I wish to comment that under the Malaysian Road Transport Act,

it is an offence to drive a motor vehicle without a motor vehicle

Insurance Policy. For your reading/info....... Singapore and

Malaysia motor vehicles insurance policy covers both countries.

That is to say, when I (from Malaysia) drives over to Singapore,

my Malaysian insurance covers me when I visit Singapore.

Same protection for Singaporean who visits Malaysia with their

Singapore motor vehicle insurance. It is stated in our insurance policy.

However, for visiting Thailand, it is a different story. Our insurance policy

do not cover Thailand. I drive to Hatyai, Thailand very often, a five

hours drive from my home. I have to buy a Thai motor vehicle

insurance policy. Normally, I will purchase a one year policy,

and an Insurance policy/sticker will be attach in front of my windscreen.

I could purchase the policy at the Malaysian border or inside the Danok

Immigration checkpoint. For me, I prefer to buy the Thai policy at the Malaysian

border town. We could puchase a policy say, for a week, 6months or a year.

As a regular traveller, it is more convenient to puchase the one year policy.

Kap khon ! Sawatdi krap !

:o