Maximum linear checked luggage dimension

bluejets

Going through and planning our return for first time in 3 years for November.

Noticed on many airlines now, including Qantas and Thai Airways which we normally use, a maximum linear measurement of checked luggage at 158cm or 62".

Both our new luggage cases come in at 164cm, so 6cm or a bit over 2" larger than the maximum clearly allowed.

Don't ever remember seeing this pre-covid (our last venture out)

Most would say stuff it, never seen that enforced, as is the reaction from many luggage stores I have contacted so far, looking for slightly smaller luggage to fit the requirement.

Thing is, we now need to travel, not to Brisbane but to Sydney for our flight out these days.

If that isn't enough extra, now it looks like we need to find new luggage.

Anyone want to buy some cheap(expensive) luggage..???...never used......????

Certainly don't want to arrive in Sydney only to be told the luggage is over limits so the search for replacement continues.

Looked for just what the penalties of "over-dimension" are in dollar terms and very thin on any reference.

They all say, oh yeah, new deal now, but how much seems illusive.

Best I can find was one mention online of $200 per case.

So, there and back for two infringements, 800 bucks.

Just wondered if others are aware.

Dare I say....cheers....????

Flew back to the UK in July and noticed Thai Airways had started to use these measurements. What a coincidence that these measurements are a fraction smaller than the largest suitcases commonly available (including mine!).

Like you I gave the matter some thought and decided that, for once, a couple of inches wouldn't matter! Sure enough my jumbo suitcase was accepted no problem. I reasoned that the airlines aren't really bothered about suitcases as opposed to the huge boxes that one sees being checked in on occasions.

On booking my return flight I noticed other airlines were using these dimensions now. Whether any airline is going to strictly enforce them at check in to the inch remains to be seen. I can't imagine check in staff getting a tape measure out and, as the measurements are in three dimensions, a simple gauge won't do.

On my flight back Qatar were still giving a weight allowance only. It remains to be seen how this progresses

It has been 62" by virtually every airline for decades.  They don't usually measure, and the measurement on a rounded-corner suitcase can be a bit fuzzy anyhow, so they probably allow for about 2" of fudge factor.  They also might give an allowance for projections like the handle, wheels, or buckles.  Most suitcase manufacturers know the limits of what is generally accepted and I think they generally adhere to those limits, so airline employees will rarely bring out the tape measure, assuming that the suitcase is at the standard limit.

I think with boxes they may tend to be more strict.  I have often traveled with boxes simply because they are lighter in weight for the volume that they can carry.  They sometimes brought out the tape measure, but I was always careful to keep it within limits (which meant cutting down a 64" box to a 62" size).  For  me, the weight limit has usually been the most limiting factor.  Nowadays the way luggage is treated, boxes do not fare as well unless they are packed VERY well.  Definitely make sure your box is FULL, with no wiggle room, if you should choose to use a box.

16 hours ago, sniggie said:

I can't imagine check in staff getting a tape measure out and, as the measurements are in three dimensions, a simple gauge won't do.

This was brought up in some news item.

Apparently, it is not the check-in staff but the ground handlers that can (and apparently do) use a metal guage for the dimensions.

As I said, I'm not willing to take the chance, others might as there are always those that say, <deleted> it and go.

Anyone see the report a week or so ago surrounding Qantas and their current problems,especially the switch to contractor ground handlers and laying off of staff that used to do the job, some for 20 years or more?

There was one section that showed a large room at one of the major airports containing hundreds of checked luggage which were never taken on the flights.

Oversized luggage, perhaps.

The room did have an open view through a glass window which has since been covered up with black plastic sheet presumably to stop any outsider viewing.

At the same time , complaints overload from luggage lost or never taken on the flight, or planes taking off with luggage that was never unloaded.

Bad days for Qantas currently.

Ordered new luggage yesterday.......????

Edited by bluejets