45 days Visa Exemptiom+ 30 days Extension

I have been consulting different forums to clarify the doubts that I am going to present to you. Surely they have already been discussed but due to my inexperience I have not been able to find the corresponding thread. I apologize and ask for your help.

I intend to buy a return flight to Thailand from January 18 (arrival 19) to April 3. It is 75 days using Visa exemption (45 days + 30 days extension).

I am going to fly with Qatar or Emirates from Spain. I understand that these airlines will ask me to show a valid outbound ticket within 45 days.

What are my options?

1. Buy a round trip plane ticket to visit a neighboring country within 45 days. I would like to avoid this option as much as possible.

2. Purchase a disposable ticket through OnwardTicket?

In this case, would it be better to buy a single return ticket to Spain or a return ticket to any neighboring country within 45 days to show the airline?

Are the assumptions I have made correct? Is there any other option?

The 45-day stay for visa exemption is until March 31. Does that mean that an entry into the country on March 31 gives the right to 45 days?

I apologize again if my doubts have already been exposed in previous threads and thank you in advance for your help.

Yes to question about 45 days for visa exempt entry from Oct 1 till March 31.

Extensions to those entries are 30 days 

Onwardticket.com is an options or throw away eg Bangkok to Saigon approx 1500baht another option. 

You could trying flying without onward flight and if airline insists ....step away from check in counter and book throw away flight as  mentioned. 

Sometimes the airline will allow you to sign a waiver. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

It is worth understanding the main reason why the airline is concerned about you travelling without an onward ticket within 30/45 days. If you are denied entry, the airline become responsible for removing you from Thailand (typically, to your embarkation point) and possibly being obliged to shoulder the cost of doing so.

If you hold a return flight ticket with the airline you are using (which the check in staff can see through their computer) this is often enough to satisfy them, even though the ticket is dated past the 45-day limit. They know they will always be able to grab that ticket to reimburse them for the costs of your repatriation if necessary.

As Jack implied, if check in is still reluctant to check you in, the airline supervisor may be willing to allow you to sign an indemnification form, committing you legally to reimburse them for any costs they may incur as a result of you being denied entry to Thailand. Most airlines will do this on occasion. It mainly depends on whether the airline supervisor likes the look of you (do you look prosperous, able to pay up if they need to get reimbursement?) and whether you are a traveller they do not want to upset (for instance, a frequent traveller on the airline).

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

If you hold a return flight ticket with the airline you are using (which the check in staff can see through their computer) this is often enough to satisfy them, even though the ticket is dated past the 45-day limit. They know they will always be able to grab that ticket to reimburse them for the costs of your repatriation if necessary.

So if you have a return ticket, eg. a business class ticket with Cathay Pacific (home country to BKK and back) but it's 5-6 months away, there's no need to use an onward ticket company for a ticket back within 30 days of original departure to satisfy the check-in airline staff?

Edited by bbi1

51 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

So if you have a return ticket, eg. a business class ticket with Cathay Pacific (home country to BKK and back) but it's 5-6 months away, there's no need to use an onward ticket company for a ticket back within 30 days of original departure to satisfy the check-in airline staff?

You can check with Cathay Pacific.

Putting that aside an airline can ask for onward flight WITHIN 30 days if flying to Thailand visa exempt. 

(yes visa exempt becomes 45 days from Oct 1) 

2 hours ago, bbi1 said:

There is a higher chance that it will be unnecessary. No guarantees.

I actually have the experience of signing an indemnity form when flying Cathay Pacific (with no onward/return flight booked) about 6-7 years ago. That does not necessarily mean you would be allowed to do this now.

How risk averse are you?

An alternative could be to get a tourist visa before you fly => 60+30 days, with the extension, which also gives you some leeway in case there are issues when you try to leave.

I believe that some airlines aren't particularly concerned about onward tickets, if you have a valid visa.

Also, airlines like Emirates and Qatar are aware that the visa exempt and tourist visas can be extended for 30 days so they may allow it a return within the maximum time you can obtain without leaving Thailand.

Perhaps the first step would be to call them and ask them.