Five children electrocuted in floodwaters and heavy rain in downtown Udon Thani

webfact

5pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath noted that a Facebook group was the first to report a serious incident where several children were electrocuted by the rear entrance to Satri Rachinuthit School on Sri Chom Cheun Road in the NE city of Udon Thani.

A 19 year old tech university student who went to their aid was also electrocuted.

image.jpeg

In total five people aged 9-19 were injured though only one was kept in hospital for observation.

In another incident of electrocution nearby two children were hurt.

The area was inundated by heavy rain and flooding.

image.jpeg

Local Mayor Thanadorn Phuttarak said there were several incidents around 4.30 pm yesterday on Sri Chom Cheun Road.

Electrical engineers were at the scene at 6.30 pm reported Thai Rath.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-09-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

21 minutes ago, macahoom said:

Why do some people think electrocution always involves death?

e·lec·tro·cute
/əˈlektrəˌkyo͞ot/

verb
past tense: electrocuted; past participle: electrocuted
  1. injure or kill someone by electric shock.
    "a man was electrocuted when he switched on the Christmas tree lights"

Because that's what it used to mean.

1 hour ago, macahoom said:

Why do some people think electrocution always involves death?

e·lec·tro·cute
/əˈlektrəˌkyo͞ot/

verb
past tense: electrocuted; past participle: electrocuted
  1. injure or kill someone by electric shock.
    "a man was electrocuted when he switched on the Christmas tree lights"

The answer would depend on whether you speak American or British. The Merriam Webster dictionary has been known to modify the definitions of words, while the Cambridge dictionary will give you the original meaning. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

I'm just glad they are not all DEAD .....   and I trust authorities found and fixed the problem. 

Poor kids .....  and the 19yr old went to help them...

I'll bet the engineers didn't or won't check to see that everything has been earthed. This is not the first time people have either been electrocuted or received an electric shock and the nearby power poles and or power outlets have not been earthed. I recall reading several articles in the past about people in Phuket receiving electric shocks in  Bangla Rd. Took the relevant authorities 6 months and more people receiving shocks at the same location to even consider that the power poles had not been earthed and then rectify the problem.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Local Mayor Thanadorn Phuttarak said there were several incidents around 4.30 pm yesterday on Sri Chom Cheun Road.

Electrical engineers were at the scene at 6.30 pm reported Thai Rath.

Wow !

It only took them 2 Hours to send some Engineers out to sort the Dangerous issue out.

Thank God that the Kids and the Uni Student that tried to help them are all OK.

This could have been far more serious

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woof999 said:

...because the traditional definition of electrocution was death by electric shock. I'm guessing that like many words, the definition has evolved over time. For me, I would still read electrocution as involving a death.

Death by electrocution, notice the word 'death' precedes the word 'electrocution'. They were electrocuted not death by electrocuted. ????????

2 hours ago, Woof999 said:

...because the traditional definition of electrocution was death by electric shock. I'm guessing that like many words, the definition has evolved over time. For me, I would still read electrocution as involving a death.

I've been shocked many times! Never made the national news. Probably would have, if I died.

I'm actually happy this discussion is centered on the proper meaning of words, more of this in the future please. But can someone tell me how wide a berth I should give power poles whenever I walk past them in the rain, to stay on the safe side? At what distance would the electricity in the water be just a tingle?