How to get custody, fast and not expensive way?

asia123

How to get custody quickly and not expensive...

I have a child with a Thai woman whom I am not married to, and he is 0 years old.

I would like to obtain custody of the child as the father through a court case.

I consulted three lawyer and 

the most expensive cost was 200,000 baht,

70,000 baht at the cheapest place.

Is there any way to get a lower price?

Son was born in Udon Thani.Is it cheaper to hire a lawyer in Udon Thani?

Go to family service in UT, and ask them.  They would probably just repeat to you what I wrote  (never going to happen) in this reply in a different thread.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1271817-gaining-custody-of-thai-child/#comment-17606475

Do you WANT custody, or just to be listed as father on birth certificate, which should have already been done.

• Like 1

As you are not married, there is question as to whether or not you are listed on the Thai Birth Certificate - this is the first thing to find out. 

IF not, you need to get yourself listed on the Birth Certificate as the father. 

Secondly, is the Mother ‘open’ to you being listed on the Birth Certificate (if you are not not already on it).

And, finally... Is the mother ‘open’ to you having custody ? i.e. is sole custody likely to be contested by the mother?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Go to family service in UT, and ask them.  They would probably just repeat to you what I wrote  (never going to happen) in this reply in a different thread.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1271817-gaining-custody-of-thai-child/#comment-17606475

Do you WANT custody, or just to be listed as father on birth certificate, which should have already been done.

My name is already on the certificate, want to get custody, not sole. Mother agreed with me completely with no dispute. 

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

As you are not married, there is question as to whether or not you are listed on the Thai Birth Certificate - this is the first thing to find out. 

IF not, you need to get yourself listed on the Birth Certificate as the father. 

Secondly, is the Mother ‘open’ to you being listed on the Birth Certificate (if you are not not already on it).

And, finally... Is the mother ‘open’ to you having custody ? i.e. is sole custody likely to be contested by the mother?

Yes My name is already on the certificate, Mother agreed with me completely with no dispute, not sole custody, 50-50 is enough 

I was quite shocked to hear the lawyer's price of 200000 baht. I read on another topic that it was all done for 30000, but that was about ten years ago. I think it was a simple trial with no dispute with  mother. I am thinking of looking for a local lawyer in Udon Thani instead of looking in Bangkok.

5 minutes ago, asia123 said:

Ah not sole... 50% is ok 

As the father, I'm guessing, you already have that right.  Don't know what you expect any judge to do, or why you would pay a lawyer to try to give you what you already have.

Are we missing something here.   Do you want to take the wee one out of the country ? 

Go to family services in UT.  Used to be across the street from Amphur office.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, asia123 said:

Ah not sole... 50% is ok 

Why do you want to get 50 %  custody ?

If the mother doesn't consent to you seeing your child, there's not much you can do about it . 

The Police aren't going to go to her house and force her to let you see the kid .

You really need to get on good agreeable terms with the mother 

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, asia123 said:

Yes My name is already on the certificate, Mother agreed with me completely with no dispute, not sole custody, 50-50 is enough 

You are the legal father (on the Birth cert)

The mother is being understanding and agreed to share custody. 

I’m not sure what you are after.

You already have rights to custody and the mother is agreeing to sharing custody. 

Is there something else going on which you have not communicated to this thread ?

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sorry I was wrong little bit, It should have been called recognition, not custody. In order to get a passport in my country, I need a document from the Thai court ruling that I have recognized my son as my own child.

Edited by asia123

1 hour ago, asia123 said:

Sorry I was wrong little bit, It should have been called recognition, not custody. In order to get a passport in my country, I need a document from the Thai court ruling that I have recognized my son as my own child.

English translation birth cert for passport. Worry about that later

Why pay 70k baht for 50/50 if she agreed

Doesnt make sense

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Are we missing something here

If you are not married, the child is not legally yours (as the father).

Therefore, unless he is willing to marry (which would be the easiest way to become legal father) then other legal avenues must be used 

The birth certificate - in Thailand - is useless for the unmarried biological father.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If I were you OP, I would visit my nearest Family Court, with the childs mother, and speak to a Clerk of the Court.

If you (or she) explains the situation it may be possible to obtain the certification you need without employing a lawyer. If not, at least you may be given advice about the procedure and costs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 2009 said:

If you are not married, the child is not legally yours (as the father).

Therefore, unless he is willing to marry (which would be the easiest way to become legal father) then other legal avenues must be used 

The birth certificate - in Thailand - is useless for the unmarried biological father.

Interesting... even if he is named on the Childs Brith certificate, because they are not married he’s not considered the legal father ?

IF so...  the confusion is starting make a little more sense. 

• Like 1

I used a Lawyer named Lily Tozer about 3 yrs ago and got full custody.  She is from Korat but is well known throughout Thailand.  She drew up all the paperwork and even met me when I flew into Thailand and went to court with me.  She does this primarily and was awesome.  We still keep in touch via "LINE".  My daughter is 12 now and been in the US for almost 4 years.  Get back in touch with me and I can give you all the contact info.  The price was very reasonable and the service was top notch.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Interesting... even if he is named on the Childs Brith certificate, because they are not married he’s not considered the legal father ?

IF so...  the confusion is starting make a little more sense. 

Correct.

His choices are:

1. Get married

2. Wait til the kid is about 7 years old then go through child legitimization process with mother's participation and witnesses at registry office (amphur)

3. Go to court to prove you are father and get a court order so that the registry office will issue the child legitimization document without mother's participation or before child is 7 years old.

Edited by 2009
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You are the legal father (on the Birth cert)

The mother is being understanding and agreed to share custody. 

I’m not sure what you are after.

You already have rights to custody and the mother is agreeing to sharing custody. 

Is there something else going on which you have not communicated to this thread ?

My guess (just a guess) is that the OP wants a legal document which states 50/50 custody.

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

My guess (just a guess) is that the OP wants a legal document which states 50/50 custody.

OP explained, what ever country he's from, need that cert. to get the wee one a PP from his country:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1272190-how-to-get-custody-fast-and-not-expensive-way/#comment-17613252

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lily 17 said:

You will need to filing a petition to the family court and the process will take about 3-6 months (you have to go for interviews with the social worker and go to court for the court hearing)

Do I need to hire a lawyer? Is it troublesome getting whole process done ... ?