Ngo Benefits/package

Hi,

There's a possibility of an NGO job for me in BKK. I've never worked in an NGO or indeed abroad (I'm UK based). Whilst I know what sort of benefits private companies offer, I'm not sure what NGO's offer.

I've read that some offer assistance with relocation and also maybe flights and sometimes accomodation exps. Obviously this would vary from organisation to organisation but I'd just be interested in ball park figures really or what are the "standard benefits"

Also how would i be treated for tax purposes - tax paid in Thailand deducted automatically or tax deducted and paid to UK?

One last thing - is it possible to be self-employed in Thailand working for a NGO as a consultant and paying tax in home country?

Thanks in anticipation

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I work for a Thai NGO and get paid 10 000 Baht per month.

That is quite a good salary here.

Although I think English teachers typically get 30 000 Baht per month plus, which is huge.

You are better off paying Thai tax if you can, as then the money is going to the government that is providing your infrastructure. Also it is very cheap.

You could work as a consultant and be paying English taxes. You'd have to work out about visas but otherwise that would be fine.

Although I think English teachers typically get 30 000 Baht per month plus, which is huge.

You are better off paying Thai tax if you can, as then the money is going to the government that is providing your infrastructure. Also it is very cheap.

You could work as a consultant and be paying English taxes. You'd have to work out about visas but otherwise that would be fine.

THB 10k a month. You must be joking. THB 30k a month being huge.... you've confirmed it. THB 10k is perhaps OK for a local Thai living with their family. For a foreigner that's a pittance given what rent etc costs. Unless they're providing a lot more for you, eg accommodation, meals etc. at THB 10k a month you're existing as a foreigner. Not really living.

A few years ago I had an apartment in lower Sukhumvit. There was a guy there from Oxfam. He had a 3 bed apartment (even tho' just gor marries), which cost around THB 40k a month. One reason I'm reluctant to give to overseas based charities/NGOs. I'd rather my money went to people who need it.

THB 10k a month. You must be joking. THB 30k a month being huge.... you've confirmed it. THB 10k is perhaps OK for a local Thai living with their family. For a foreigner that's a pittance given what rent etc costs. Unless they're providing a lot more for you, eg accommodation, meals etc. at THB 10k a month you're existing as a foreigner. Not really living.

A few years ago I had an apartment in lower Sukhumvit. There was a guy there from Oxfam. He had a 3 bed apartment (even tho' just gor marries), which cost around THB 40k a month. One reason I'm reluctant to give to overseas based charities/NGOs. I'd rather my money went to people who need it.

Agreed :o Charity starts at home, saying that, whos up for a Somtam and lao cao eating competition? all are welcome! ps 10k baht per month, I respect you man! :D

Edited by kratindaeng

Paul 123456

BTW If you're earning THB 10k a month you'll be paying hardly any Thai tax. May not even be enough to get a work permit. In the UK you would need to earn GBP 420 a month or THB 25k before you paid any tax. So why are you recommending paying Thai taxes rather than UK????? Also it's not as if you're allowed to pick and choose where to pay tax...

Either you're taking the p**s out of someone who is genuinely asking for advice, or you're proving a little knowledge is a dangerous think. You seem to have no idea what you are talking about. I have never met a foreigner prepared to live off THB10k a month. The only people doing so, would have either a) financial income from elsewhere :o everything else provided, eg rent/food etc

Paul 123456

BTW If you're earning THB 10k a month you'll be paying hardly any Thai tax. May not even be enough to get a work permit. In the UK you would need to earn GBP 420 a month or THB 25k before you paid any tax. So why are you recommending paying Thai taxes rather than UK????? Also it's not as if you're allowed to pick and choose where to pay tax...

Either you're taking the p**s out of someone who is genuinely asking for advice, or you're proving a little knowledge is a dangerous think. You seem to have no idea what you are talking about. I have never met a foreigner prepared to live off THB10k a month. The only people doing so, would have either a) financial income from elsewhere :o everything else provided, eg rent/food etc

True, but leave the Guy alone, I saw him with his missus wheeling the Noodle cart up Sukhumvit soi 4 last night, works hard, plays hard, and does a mean Gao Lao and rice. Must be good for 10k a month chai mai krap?

True, but leave the Guy alone, I saw him with his missus wheeling the Noodle cart up Sukhumvit soi 4 last night, works hard, plays hard, and does a mean Gao Lao and rice. Must be good for 10k a month chai mai krap?

Chai nay non. But are you sure it was his missus? On such a fine income as that he probably has a whole range of ladies he's keeping. It could have been his mia noi, mia gep, mia chaow or just a gik. Wasn't necessarily his mia luang.

When I worked in a conflict zone for an NGO (unarmed), I paid $500 per month to the NGO for the divine privilege. Some people don't earn much working for NGO's. However, they might give you free housing inside the refugee camp. I got free meals (tortillas and boiled frijole beans, 3 times a day). We were forbidden to give anything to the local people, such as cash, but we were allowed to die for them, with them.