Retirement - visa options

Hi. 

Been following the forum for a while, especially around visa options.  Looking to retire at some point in the next couple of years and been reading up about visa options and the rules. Ideally, I want to tie up the 800k for as short a time as possible as the rules allow, and would prefer to not use an agent if possible.  Would appreciate any comments on the scenario I have in mind and whether it would work or not.

Step 1: open a Thai bank account and transfer 65k a month for at least a year before retirement (I currently visit several times a year so could open an account on one of my trips).

Step 2: Apply for non-o visa for retirement using 800k method (I'll probably open a separate bank account specifically for this).

Step 3: After 3 months of the first non-o apply for extension using the 65k a month method. I'm then free to spend or transfer back the 800k to my home country.

Step 4: Apply for subsequent yearly extensions using the 65k method.

Appreciate on comments on this and whether it will work or fail!

Many thanks 

1 hour ago, MistyBlue said:

Step 4: Apply for subsequent yearly extensions using the 65k method.

What is your nationality? Unless you are American, Australian or British you should be able to obtain a letter confirming your monthly pension income for Immigration purposes from your home country's embassy in Bangkok - and avoid having to make monthly 65k transfers as a result.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

Hello Mr. ubon,

Now I am confused….

Previously you mentioned that a person would have to obtain and hold the Non O for a full year with the 800k (3 mo.)/400k remainder of the year BEFORE a person is permitted to convert to the 65k monthly method. But your above answer you say that a person only needs the Non O for 90 days and then can convert (extension) to the monthly method?….

Please clarify as I too would like to obtain the extension via the 65k method ASAP.

BTW I can prove that my Social Security is transferring the monies to K Bank with the SS statement, as well as a K Bank statement. Immigration should accept this IMHO (As our consulate does not participate now).

Cheers!

53FEE15C-F8A9-4AB5-8CA6-0B14A109E41D.jpeg

1 hour ago, PumpkinEater said:

Hello Mr. ubon,

Now I am confused….

Previously you mentioned that a person would have to obtain and hold the Non O for a full year with the 800k (3 mo.)/400k remainder of the year BEFORE a person is permitted to convert to the 65k monthly method. But your above answer you say that a person only needs the Non O for 90 days and then can convert (extension) to the monthly method?….

Please clarify as I too would like to obtain the extension via the 65k method ASAP.

BTW I can prove that my Social Security is transferring the monies to K Bank with the SS statement, as well as a K Bank statement. Immigration should accept this IMHO (As our consulate does not participate now).

Cheers!

53FEE15C-F8A9-4AB5-8CA6-0B14A109E41D.jpeg

There is a difference between a first extension (at the end of the 90 days from the initial Non O) and subsequent extensions. For the second and subsequent extensions, Immigration wants to check that you complied with the conditions for the previous extension.

Hello Mr. ubon,

Now I am confused….

Cheers!

Thankyou Brit,

So…I will come in on my Tourist Visa, obtain a Non O (90 day), apply for the extension via the 65k monthly method with twelve monthly deposits.

Must I show 800k at the extension application date to qualify for monthly method?

My understanding was that if you do not have USA consulate statement, you must go a full year…but I hope I am wrong on this…?

Cheers

57 minutes ago, PumpkinEater said:

That is only in the case where applied for a one year extension using the 800k baht in the bank option before you apply using the income option.

If you got a new non-o visa you would not need to prove the 800k/400k baht had remained in the bank when you apply using in income option.

21 hours ago, MistyBlue said:

I'm British, so would need to make the 65k transfers unfortunately.

In which case, if your existing passport is due to expire within a couple of years of your permanent move to Thailand, I would strongly advise you to get it renewed while you are still in the UK. The British passport renewal process from Thailand is IMHO a right PITA, except for those who live in (or within a stone's throw of) Bangkok or Chiang Mai.