How people heat up their houses...

Eaglekott

1 hour ago, Scott Tracy said:

Jumpers, hats and gloves, huddling around charcoal braziers is the norm for the winter around my area. It can get damn cold.

Those charcoal braziers result in a number of asphyxiations in Thailand each year.  You just can't use one in a closed off room or you start creating carbon monoxide and then it is good night forever.  People will continue to use them, however, because charcoal and a metal charcoal BBQ or clay charcoal stove are a cheap way of heating.

One safe way, but more expensive way, is to use an "electric room heater".  Search Lazada for what I put in quotes and you will find a number of them for offer.  A decent Heier electric heater for 20 m² is about 3000 Bt, and of course the electricity costs more money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HarrySeaman said:

Those charcoal braziers result in a number of asphyxiations in Thailand each year.  You just can't use one in a closed off room or you start creating carbon monoxide and then it is good night forever.  People will continue to use them, however, because charcoal and a metal charcoal BBQ or clay charcoal stove are a cheap way of heating.

One safe way, but more expensive way, is to use an "electric room heater".  Search Lazada for what I put in quotes and you will find a number of them for offer.  A decent Heier electric heater for 20 m² is about 3000 Bt, and of course the electricity costs more money.

power is cheap here, i have an electric heater and a gas heater , used it for past 25 years when needed just leave windows open a little

2 hours ago, Dickp said:

So No one knows of any store that sells A/C with heat pumps.

I have a fantastic Daikin reverse heat and aircon which is fantastic , in France ! Both work well as it gets pretty hot here ( Cannes) in summer around 33/35c and can be 12/ 15 in winter and less in mornings and night. I’m sure direct questions to Daikin would tell you where they sell. I was in the Malaysian highlands a few years ago and it would have been very cold without night time heating. 
Also north Thailand , on a 3 night treck  40 years ago I was freezing at night and early morning. 

The 4 to 6 weeks of cool season in udon thani was always welcome.

Low teens Celsius maybe 9 10 11, one week as the very lowest.

Daytime in the twenties lovely night time, simply cuddle up.

On topic, if there really is one, electric oil filled radiators, sold here and work fine.

6 or 7 years ago it was brutal cold in Isaan for a few weeks… that year is when bought new MUX and I looked and looked how to turn on the heater…. No one… It was still dark and had an hour drive to Udon Thani…only have one light jacket and someone borrowed it .. thankfully brought it back a year later …. .. lately winters have been nice… 

On 9/24/2022 at 6:29 PM, 1sickpuppy said:

power is cheap here, i have an electric heater and a gas heater , used it for past 25 years when needed just leave windows open a little

The key here is that you "leave the windows open a little". 

It is the people, Thai, or elsewhere, who don't do that.  They don't want the source of cold air so they close all the house or car windows and wind up asphyxiating themselves.

Regardless of the intelligence ever underestimate the effect of ignorance, especially purposeful blind ignorance.