Converting from COVID Visa to a Long-Term Visa Questions

I have been living here in Thailand on COVID visas continuously since a month before the shutdown happened. And now that I just received my very last stamp for a covid visa, that will allow me to remain here until the end of next month, I have been planning to apply for a long-term visa that I already know that I qualify for, except for one glaring detail I was not aware of until just now: that being, my passport expired during this time, and due to COVID it took much longer to have it processed and sent back to me, which resulted in a 12 day OVERSTAY fee as well while waiting for it to return. This all happened back in early 2020.

I was informed by a very reputable visa agency that because of this overstay, I will not be able to apply for a Non-O Based on Retirement Visa without leaving the country and coming back. And, furthermore, I would not be able to come back to Thailand if I go to through the Cambodian land border - even if I remained there for a few days, if I tried to do this border run by myself. They all agreed that I need to go in a group or they won't let me back in. I asked them about going by myself to Laos to get a Tourist visa there, but they assured me that it would not work if I went by myself....

So, the total charge for a 15 month Visa through them, including the border run to Cambodia will cost 60,000 THB.

My question is: Are they correct?

P.S.: While I was speaking with them and they were explaining to me that people are having difficulties getting back in that have been on COVID visas, one of their customers was just then texting them to say that they were stuck at the Bangkok airport and could not get back in. The agent tried to call him back right then, but no one answered the phone. So, I do not know the details.

Edited by Terry B
Clarification
  • Haha 2

There would only be a problem with a border bounce if trying to use the Poipet/Aranyaprathet crossing.

If you have the finances, and do it yourself, I do not think there will be a problem with the "conversion" visa and one-year extension.

If you really do a visa run with them, followed by having them process the visa and extension, 60,000 baht is very high, but not totally absurd. If you must use an agent, find a different one. Your current agent is perpetrating a borderline scam on you.

Edited by BritTim

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Your current agent is perpetrating a borderline scam on you.

Thank you so much for replying. Earlier, just after my original posting of this new thread, someone on here that knows a lot about this kind of stuff reacted with a "LOL" emotion, so I assume he was thinking the same thing. But I wasn't sure, until just now when i read this reply from you. It help a lot to make my day.

Edited by Terry B

12 hours ago, Terry B said:

This all happened back in early 2020.

So the overstay was paid for and cleared up and subsequently you obtained covid extensions.

No problem there.

Next step is that you want to obtain a non O retirement.

I would consider you quickly talk with your immigration office and discuss the requirements and possibility of obtaining the non O.

If they advise you to exit country and reenter, I would consider a border bounce to Nong Kai. Flights to Udon Thani make that an easy trip.

Depends where you are located. 

Be aware that a visa exempt entry from Oct 1 is 45 days.

To apply for the non O retirement you would require 800k in bank on the day you apply and 15 days remaining on you current permission of stay.

That's why I suggest you seek clarification from your immigration office. 

They all have their own quirks. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Depends where you are located. 

That's why I suggest you seek clarification from your immigration office. 

They all have their own quirks. 

Thanks Doc. I'm in the Chonburi area.

Edited by Terry B

6 minutes ago, Terry B said:

Thanks Doc. I'm in the Chonburi area.

If it turns out a border run is required ....you could consider flight from U-TAPAO to Udon Thani and one hour to Nong Khai. 

I realize Cambodia closer but the trip I outlined is an option.

You could chat with one of the agents in Pattaya such as Maneerat soi post office.

However if you have the 800k to satisfy the financials then you can do it yourself 

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

then you can do it yourself 

I plan to use an agent. So, I have been pouring through the threads here for the past few previous covid-visa cycles to find a list of good agents to contact. I've already contacted a few of them. And I remember the one on Maneerat came up a lot here. So I will be sure to contact them too, for sure.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Terry B said:

I plan to use an agent. So, I have been pouring through the threads here for the past few previous covid-visa cycles to find a list of good agents to contact. I've already contacted a few of them. And I remember the one on Maneerat came up a lot here. So I will be sure to contact them too, for sure.

Here is thread from this year and pretty much lists most recommended agents in your area. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

14 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

I never realized that there were any "covid" visas in use here. I assumed that there were only extension of stay's being issued on existing visas due to Covid related travel issues.

Yeah Yeah. 

Since we are being picky.,

Covid extensions were also issued to folk that entered visa exempt. 

On 9/24/2022 at 8:54 AM, DrJack54 said:

If it turns out a border run is required ....you could consider flight from U-TAPAO to Udon Thani and one hour to Nong Khai. 

I realize Cambodia closer but the trip I outlined is an option.

You could chat with one of the agents in Pattaya such as Maneerat soi post office.

However if you have the 800k to satisfy the financials then you can do it yourself 

FWIW there are no direct flights from U-TAPAO to Udon Thani at the moment so it’s likely to be better to use Suvarnabhumi as there are several options 

• Thanks 1

On 9/24/2022 at 8:54 AM, DrJack54 said:

Can one walk across the bridge, turn around & come straight back in same day ??

8 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

I have never done this route before - Why do i have to travel to Vientiane ??? I thought i could get stamped in again at Nong Khai ???

You dont need to go to Vientiane for a border bounce. 

You would go to Vientiane if you were applying for a visa. 

You can do it all at the bridge crossing.

If you decide to do this route then there (previously) minivan from airport to Nong Khai.

If not available there is bus Depot near Central Plaza and minivan departures front of Central Plaza.

The UT is chill joint for a beer.

The bars are also located stone throw from CP. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

You can do it all at the bridge crossing.

That's what i was hoping to hear, much appreciated.

I'm hoping for a swift out & back in again on the same day - Hoping for a 45 day visa exempt entry - What documents would i require to enter this neighbouring country ???

11 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

That's what i was hoping to hear, much appreciated.

I'm hoping for a swift out & back in again on the same day - Hoping for a 45 day visa exempt entry - What documents would i require to enter this neighbouring country ???

Here is pretty recent topic regarding Nong Khai. It's a visa run but entry visa requirements to Laos etc there.

some useful tips there.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes

But you will take a bus across the bridge to Vientiane and back again.

That's somewhat misleading, as Vientiane is quite some distance away from the bridge.

There's no need to go all the way to Vientiane; what you probably meant was cross the bridge and get stamped in and out by Lao immigration before returning to Thailand.