Water coming into condo through window area in when it rains. (leaky windows)

alexpoker

hi all,

Really need some assistance on this case. We have a big condo in Chiang Mai that has issues with water getting into the condo via thw window area. We just had people come in and put silicone on the outsides of all windows but there is still a big problem.

I cant tell where the water is getting in, through the window itself or via some cracks under and above the window.

But this is a massive problem and I really need to get this fixed before the teak floor gets ruined any further.

Someone suggested sealant paint around the outside of the windows and on the concrete around that area. Other have said we need a metal flashing over the window and possibly under the window as well. 

This building is also like 25 years old so that probably doesnt help. The last renovation of this condo was 13 years ago so the windows themselves arent new but it dont know how much that matters.

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you!

- Alex

hillside 3 windows-2.jpg

hillside 3 windows-3.jpg

hillside 3 windows-4.jpg

hillside 3 windows-5.jpg

hillside 3 windows-6.jpg

hillside 3 windows-7.jpg

hillside 3 windows-8.jpg

hillside 3 windows.jpg

hillside 3 windows-9.jpg

Edited by alexpoker

Sorry for the confusion. This is not my condo, but one we manage for an owner who renovated it. Now after all these years there seems to be a consistent problem with keeping the rain out.

Would waterproofing sealant paint + installing some flashing fix this issue?

I am not sure that you have sliding windows, but I had this problem some years ago in Bahrain.

The rainwater would run down the outside of the glass and fill up the lower channel in which the window slid. Having nowhere to go, the resulting water would seep under the sash and into the room I cured it by drilling drain holes in the outside of the channel.

On 9/27/2022 at 7:17 AM, ezzra said:

The only worthwhile long lasting, albeit costly, solution, is to remove the window frame see what the problem and reseal it properly, this way, you know it not leak again...

frame appears to be wood

shows some possible rot

difficult to remove and reinstall if wood

Remove and replace with aluminum frames?

These are how the build are made in Thailand and Asia: crappy. Poor quality. No water proofing. A building can last 1000's of years or it can last 25 years. 

A proper house or building needs a roof, it needs water proofing on the exterior and the basement foundations. As well as around windows or any opening.  All seem to be missing in the typical Thai structure. Water is the enemy, it destroys everything in every country.

I would suggest to your friend to sell up and move on.  Once you have water damage it can be hard to fix.

On 9/26/2022 at 8:53 AM, alexpoker said:

I cant tell where the water is getting in,

You need to find out how the water is getting in and that take measures to stop the water . 

Next time it rain , just sit and look for how the water is getting in .

Could be a major structural issue , broken guttering or sealant loose .