Jump to content

Citibank Transfer of Accounts to UOB


Recommended Posts

Just received this from Citibank:

 

At present, Citigroup Inc. and United Overseas Bank (Thai) PCL have officially 
obtained the approval of the Bank of Thailand and other relevant authorities 
for transfer of Citi's consumer business in Thailand.

Citi hereby informs you that such business transfer will effect on 
1 November 2022 or such other date as notified to you. All  banking 
products and services provided to you by Citi will be transferred to UOB and Citi 
will continue to be the service provider for such products and  services on 
behalf of UOB. 

Citi would like to express our gratitude to our customers for the trust.

 

I wonder how it will work with Citi providing services on behalf of UOB and for how long that will last.

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Anyone tried to transfer their account yet? The email said after 6pm on the 21st just fire up  UOBs bank app and register as a new user, but when I did this it turns out to be an application for a UOB bank account (I only have a CC with Citi) which I am apparently not eligible for because I am not Thai! I could just ditch the card except that I have a lot of direct debits and Rewards points on it plus a 4,000 baht voucher from Citi that went missing at the post office. Anyway, I guess it'll be a trip to UOB tomorrow. What a freaking shambles for what are actually high-end CC users.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My previous Citibank account showed up in the UOB app today. I had accounts at both banks. Transfer was done automatically today in my case.

The UOB app is named UOB TMRW Thailand.

Edited by msbkk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Haven't yet tried the UOB TMRW app. Will wait until after 6 pm on Monday.

 

Citibank's operation here is a branch of the US corporation and not a subsidiary or joint venture. Accountholders therefore have recourse to Citibank US's balance sheet and Citibank is rated A+ by Standard & Poor's.

 

Some may say it isn't important because the Thai government will insure deposits up to 1 million baht, but the Thai government's sovereign debt rating of BBB+ is lower than that of Citibank.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Haven't yet tried the UOB TMRW app. Will wait until after 6 pm on Monday.

 

Citibank's operation here is a branch of the US corporation and not a subsidiary or joint venture. Accountholders therefore have recourse to Citibank US's balance sheet and Citibank is rated A+ by Standard & Poor's.

 

Some may say it isn't important because the Thai government will insure deposits up to 1 million baht, but the Thai government's sovereign debt rating of BBB+ is lower than that of Citibank.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

That's not true. Citibank Thailand is a separate entity independent of Citibank N.A. While it's classified as a branch, that's a technical classification made by the Bank of Thailand relating to its structure.  It doesn't mean that it is part of the Citibank NA operations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

That's not true. Citibank Thailand is a separate entity independent of Citibank N.A. While it's classified as a branch, that's a technical classification made by the Bank of Thailand relating to its structure.  It doesn't mean that it is part of the Citibank NA operations.

 

Citibank Thailand operates under Thai banking regulations but structurally it is a branch of Citibank N.A. This means that accountholders are creditors of Citibank N.A. and not a locally incorporated subsidiary or joint venture. Citibank's liability to accountholders would not be limited to any assets held in Thailand, but rather to Citibank N.A.'s balance sheet in the US.

 

It isn't part of Citibank's US retail operations if that is what you mean.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any Citi credit card holders able to successfully register for the UOB app since the migration yesterday? I complete my passport number and date of birth and successfully receive an OTP, but the next screen asks to confirm my credit card number and then rejects it. Same issue when trying to connect with them on LINE

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, MRtommyR said:

Any Citi credit card holders able to successfully register for the UOB app since the migration yesterday? I complete my passport number and date of birth and successfully receive an OTP, but the next screen asks to confirm my credit card number and then rejects it. Same issue when trying to connect with them on LINE

 

If you have a debit card, try using that number instead of your credit card.

 

I don't have a Citibank credit card, but was able to activate the app and get access to my account using my debit card number.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MRtommyR said:

Any Citi credit card holders able to successfully register for the UOB app since the migration yesterday? I complete my passport number and date of birth and successfully receive an OTP, but the next screen asks to confirm my credit card number and then rejects it. Same issue when trying to connect with them on LINE

 

You're a step ahead of me. I had a CC credit card and have tried to register for a UOB online account a couple of times since last night.  Not receiving the OTP. The system appears to have my correct information and phone number,

 

Separately, now also not receiving OTPs from payment systems that used to be run by Citi and now say UOB.  Have called UOB, and they are looking into the issues.  Long phone wait times, they may be a bit overwhelmed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, MRtommyR said:

Any Citi credit card holders able to successfully register for the UOB app since the migration yesterday? I complete my passport number and date of birth and successfully receive an OTP, but the next screen asks to confirm my credit card number and then rejects it. Same issue when trying to connect with them on LINE

 

I don't even get an OTP, just an "error try later".

 

It may just be flooded.

 

If not sorted by tomorrow I'm going to our "local" (20km drive) UOB branch with my "angry farang" head on!

 

EDIT They evidently have my phone number as I get notifications of transactions on my card.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have a Mortgage with UOB and a few weeks they called me to say that the info they have on file with UOB doesn't match the info on Citi account. The existing UOB account had my wife's number as my contact number, we updated it on the call.

 

Just tried to create an account on TMW and the sms code didnt come to my phone, but went to my wife's. So I guess they didnt update it. Says I cannot create an account as mobile number already exists in another record.

I have to go into a branch, or call a number.   Think I'll wait a few days, as no doubt the lines will very busy now.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/23/2024 at 9:50 AM, Crossy said:

 

I don't even get an OTP, just an "error try later".

 

It may just be flooded.

 

If not sorted by tomorrow I'm going to our "local" (20km drive) UOB branch with my "angry farang" head on!

 

EDIT They evidently have my phone number as I get notifications of transactions on my card.

 

 

Hope the local UOB branch can help.  Phone calls (when I can get through) just result in being told that someone will call me back in 15 min.  So far no one has called, and I conclude they are overwhelmed.  No time to go to a branch today, but will do so tomorrow if this remains unresolved.

 

It's good you're getting notifications of transactions, so at least you can see if there's card misuse.  I'm not getting those types of messages, although one UOB person was able to to confirm my phone number.

 

Hopefully the risks are low, but if data was compromised this period would be ideal for fraudsters.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Misty said:

 

Hope the local UOB branch can help.  Phone calls (when I can get through) just result in being told that someone will call me back in 15 min.  So far no one has called, and I conclude they are overwhelmed.  No time to go to a branch today, but will do so tomorrow if this remains unresolved.

 

It's good you're getting notifications of transactions, so at least you can see if there's card misuse.  I'm not getting those types of messages, although one UOB person was able to to confirm my phone number.

 

Hopefully the risks are low, but if data was compromised this period would be ideal for fraudsters.

 

 

 

All sorted :smile:

 

The original issue was that my passport number had changed, I did try the old number but that didn't work either (probably because it had expired).

 

Anyway, the usual hassle (and multiple photocopies) of changing passport numbers ensued, very helpful young lady in the branch sorted that.

 

Then a different lady helped me set up the App. The process involves no less than 3 (three) one-time-passwords, your card number and PIN, setting up a username and password (which you will use once if you set up biometrics) and lots of "confirm" clicks. I probably would have lost it trying to get it going on my own.

 

The App looks pretty much like the Citi version and seems rather faster.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Crossy said:

 

All sorted :smile:

 

The original issue was that my passport number had changed, I did try the old number but that didn't work either (probably because it had expired).

 

Anyway, the usual hassle (and multiple photocopies) of changing passport numbers ensued, very helpful young lady in the branch sorted that.

 

Then a different lady helped me set up the App. The process involves no less than 3 (three) one-time-passwords, your card number and PIN, setting up a username and password (which you will use once if you set up biometrics) and lots of "confirm" clicks. I probably would have lost it trying to get it going on my own.

 

The App looks pretty much like the Citi version and seems rather faster.

 

Glad to hear you got it sorted. Tried calling UOB again this morning, and unfortunately no progress. Looks like I'll need to go to my nearest branch today. Hope it's also a relatively easy fix.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/24/2024 at 12:44 PM, Crossy said:

 

All sorted :smile:

 

The original issue was that my passport number had changed, I did try the old number but that didn't work either (probably because it had expired).

 

Anyway, the usual hassle (and multiple photocopies) of changing passport numbers ensued, very helpful young lady in the branch sorted that.

 

Then a different lady helped me set up the App. The process involves no less than 3 (three) one-time-passwords, your card number and PIN, setting up a username and password (which you will use once if you set up biometrics) and lots of "confirm" clicks. I probably would have lost it trying to get it going on my own.

 

The App looks pretty much like the Citi version and seems rather faster.

Mine was sorted as well. Same problem 🙂

 

They were very helpful in the branch and seemed to have had proper training about the transition. Total opposite of my experience with the Thanachart TMB merger a few years ago which was a shambles.
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MRtommyR said:

Mine was sorted as well. Same problem 🙂

 

They were very helpful in the branch and seemed to have had proper training about the transition. Total opposite of my experience with the Thanachart TMB merger a few years ago which was a shambles.
 

 

Mine was sorted as well. Also needed to update information, as well as remove off a phone block.  The UOB staff were very professional at the branch office in the main building on Sukhumvit. They also had difficulty getting through to the back office people at first.  Apparently they've been very busy since the final handover Sunday evening.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All went well for me. Was able to set up the app and online. The only complaint I have, is I cannot convert USD in my FCD acct to my THB acct online. I went to main office at Sukhumvit, and they said cannot, that i have to go in to the bank each time I want to convert. I was able to convert online with Citi. Also, Citi didn't charge me any wire fees. UOB charged me a 500B incoming wire fee. I won't be making as many wire transfers as I used to make. At least my US bank doesn't charge me a wire fee due to my relationship level.

Edited by JohnnyBD
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had to wait one hour to get through but then they were very helpful. I had to activate 2 new cards first and then set up the app. I had downloaded the Singapore app so obviously wouldn't work. He waited and helped while I downloaded the Thai version. About 6 OTPs needed to verify. He then informed us that new UOB cards will be issued to everyone in a month or two. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have citi bank cc. Downloaded and set up the app after a bit of trouble. TMW app now shows UOB credit card, however my physical card is still branded as Citi. UOB card on the app is the same number.

 

Are the cards going to stay the same or is there going to be a change to physical cards?

Edited by Celsius
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had no problem setting up the app on my phone and getting access to UOB's internet banking website on my computer, but Citibank's transfer limits did not make the migration to UOB. They've defaulted back to 50,000 baht and a trip to a branch is necessary for a photo for the face recognition software it increase it. 

 

I guess it is a good thing that checks aren't used much anymore since UOB won't provide a checkbook to foreigners.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.





×
×
  • Create New...