Advice on Septic system please.

All my life I have been on a town sewerage system in Australia. I am renting here in Thailand and it has a septic system and I know nothing about them. Lately I been getting bad smells in bathroom. Friend said septic tank needs a pump out. Asked real estate agent and was advised tank doesn't need pump out add a chemical like Totto. Watched a few vids on youtube and most say 2 to 5 years. Obviously depends on a few things such as size of tank, number of people using it, etc. Don't know size of tank but has plastic lid in a relatively new house so I assume plastic tank and mostly only 1 or 2 people last 5 years.

Any one have advise from experience they can offer me? If anyone has had it done recently how much did it cost? I am in Chiang Mai.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Dazinoz

1 minute ago, plus7 said:

Dazinoz,

It can be a leak or piping done incorrectly. Yes, it is from experience.

I doubt it is related to bacteria in a tank.

Thanks. Maybe a leak but Its about 8 to 10 years old and I have been here 5 and only just started to smell so I would suggest piping done correctly.

8 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

Thanks. Maybe a leak but Its about 8 to 10 years old and I have been here 5 and only just started to smell so I would suggest piping done correctly.

I know in America we always pupmed out tank every 2 years.  System was 1000 gallon concrete box with a leach field .I always had to dig out the cover for the box when it was time to pimp it .

• Thanks 1

Bad smells are normally from drains.  Most here, if have any, use bell type trap and these become dry if you do not keep BR floor washed every day or two and will then allow smells to enter from gray water (which may be black septic tank in some cases).  They can also become full of hair and prevent trap - remove top cover and clean - and make sure no cracks in the bell attacked to cover.  Quick check is to cover drains with water filled bags and see if odor is reduced.

Normally tank full will result to slow/incomplete flush.  Most tanks only require pump out every 5-10 years (and could be even longer) but as said simple process if use government workers and not expensive.  Beware if have to use private however as they tend to be cowboys.

image.jpeg.c10eb46400da837fcaceb909c8958139.jpeg

Edited by lopburi3
  • Thanks 1