Oz prospective marriage 300 visa / impact on Oz pension

Hi All

I've posted elsewhere ... but here exploring options beyond a tourist visa for Thai girlfriend to visit/live in Australia.

I'm aware that an Australian 'Prospective Marriage (Subclass 300)' is as dear as poison and there is an approx 12-month wait and reams of paperwork, but it's the effect on my age pension that's the unknown ...

...  at what point does the Australian age pension get reduced to the 'partnered' rate (ie effectively halved)?

Is it when the application is submitted? when granted? on arrival? when married? some other point in time?

Sharing of any experiences would be appreciated. 

For Centrelink purposes you are considered to be a member of a couple if you and your partner are living together, or usually live together, and are:

married; or in a registered relationship; or in a de facto relationship

A member of a couple is determined by circumstances including:

financial aspects of the relationship
nature of the household
social aspects of the relationship
any sexual relationship
nature of the people's commitment to each other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OP: Unlikely you would get a marriage / defacto visa for girlfreind until can demonstrate you have known each other for a least 12 months. Once you commence living together you would receive the equivalent of a married person for Age Pension. Not up to date with the latest legislation, but likely partner would not receive any welfare payment for approx two years after arrival, but she would be eligible to work / access Medicare. Any partner earning would be pro rata deducted from your Age Pension. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, simple1 said:

OP: Unlikely you would get a marriage / defacto visa for girlfreind until can demonstrate you have known each other for a least 12 months. Once you commence living together you would receive the equivalent of a married person for Age Pension. Not up to date with the latest legislation, but likely partner would not receive any welfare payment for approx two years after arrival, but she would be eligible to work / access Medicare. Any partner earning would be pro rata deducted from your Age Pension. 

Thanks for that, I’m aware of most of what you discuss … have you any source for the ‘12 month’ reference there?

That’s feasible if de facto needs to be established but our intention would be to marry and I’m not aware of any waiting period there.

Would really like to hear from actual experiences - I realise there have been few during last 3 years but I don’t think these 300 visa conditions have changed much.

Their is no requirement that you have known your partner for 12 months for a Subclass 300 visa, there is a requirement that you evidence a history of your relationship and that you have met in person. 

Also be aware of the processing times for this visa. 

Edited by PhanomR
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BananaGuy said:

Thanks for that, I’m aware of most of what you discuss … have you any source for the ‘12 month’ reference there?

That’s feasible if de facto needs to be established but our intention would be to marry and I’m not aware of any waiting period there.

Would really like to hear from actual experiences - I realise there have been few during last 3 years but I don’t think these 300 visa conditions have changed much.

Have not assisted with fiance visa for a while, so maybe criteria has changed as to expected lenght of relationship prior to application etc. Note on the Home Affairs website if states "meet relationship requirements". You can clarify when applying for the visa as there are popups during the application process to assist.  

• Thanks 1