Divorce and NON-O extension

The permission of stay would end once divorced.

In reality if you or wife does not notify immigration then nothing would happen.

If on good terms with current wife you could ask her to attend immigration at your next extension and switch to extention based on retirement. A tip would be in order. 

Naturally only possible if you are 50+

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

The permission of stay would end once divorced.

In reality if you or wife does not notify immigration then nothing would happen.

If on good terms with current wife you could ask her to attend immigration at your next extension and switch to extention based on retirement.

Naturally only possible if you are 50+

Thanks, we are on very good terms and no one would notify the immigration. 
I got 8 years til I could qualify for a retirement visa.

That's an issue.

Obviously no children? 

Are you working? 

Digital nomad, no kids. My plan is to get an education visa and started studying Thai in 10-11 months once the extension runs out or alternatively get the Elite Visa if I have the finances at that point.

Edited by stoicccc

1 minute ago, stoicccc said:

Digital nomad, no kids. My plan is to get an education visa and started studying Thai in 10-11 months once the extension runs out or alternatively get the Elite Visa if I have the finances at that point.

Easy for people to say Elite visa is your best option as it's not cheap, however at 42ish it's about your only option if wanting to stay ongoing in Thailand.

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Easy for people to say Elite visa is your best option as it's not cheap, however at 42ish it's about your only option if wanting to stay ongoing in Thailand.

What's wrong with getting an education visa to learn Thai at 42 years old?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, stoicccc said:

What's wrong with getting an education visa to learn Thai at 42 years old?

You overlooked part of my statement "living in Thailand ongoing" 

A non Ed gives you a year. 

Tourist visas and visa exempt perhaps another year ...

I'm typing about 8 years not a couple. 

You seem aware of few options so work out what's best for you. 

Edited by DrJack54

You overlooked part of my statement "living in Thailand ongoing" 

A non Ed gives you a year. 

Tourist visas and visa exempt perhaps another year ...

I'm typing about 8 years not a couple. 

You seem aware of few options so work out what's best for you. 

Ah gotcha, thought you meant I couldn't get an ED visa right after a visa based on marriage.
Yeah I realize the trouble to stay until 50 based on ED and tourist visas and my firm goal is the get the Elite visa if possible.
Many thanks DrJack54, really appreciate your help.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, stoicccc said:

It is not my business, but why a divorce then? Maybe just stay together married and each doing their own thing.

As you said "we are on very good terms" Wait 8 years.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, stoicccc said:

If you have a marriage visa then you have an issue.. without a current Kor Ror 2 you won't get the extension.

When I went to Jomtien to extend my non-O visa from "reason of marriage" to "reason of retirement", the immigration officer asked to see marriage certificate, wife's ID and wife's house registration.  Was told this is a one-time requirement when changing from marriage to retirement.  Might also apply to those extending a non-O visa previously for reason of marriage to any other reason.  Had I not been able to produce the required marriage documentation, the immigration officer would not have granted the extension for reason of retirement.  Might not matter in your case if you're not trying to extend your non-0 visa, but you might want to double check just in case.  Hopefully this will also help anyone else who might otherwise be caught unaware.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Steven Pattaya said:

When I went to Jomtien to extend my non-O visa from "reason of marriage" to "reason of retirement", the immigration officer asked to see marriage certificate, wife's ID and wife's house registration.  Was told this is a one-time requirement when changing from marriage to retirement.  Might also apply to those extending a non-O visa previously for reason of marriage to any other reason.  Had I not been able to produce the required marriage documentation, the immigration officer would not have granted the extension for reason of retirement.  

Did they also want to do the house visit?

23 hours ago, Steven Pattaya said:

When I went to Jomtien to extend my non-O visa from "reason of marriage" to "reason of retirement", the immigration officer asked to see marriage certificate, wife's ID and wife's house registration.  Was told this is a one-time requirement when changing from marriage to retirement.

Your experience is not unique. What I believe they are doing is checking that you did not stay illegally in Thailand on an extension of stay based on marriage after a divorce. Lots of people believe (erroneously) that they can stay until expiry of their current permission to stay, only having a problem if their ex wife reports them. The check you report is the main reason why you should look for an alternative way to stay in Thailand immediately after a divorce.

• 1 month later...
On 10/1/2022 at 6:20 PM, Steven Pattaya said:

When I went to Jomtien to extend my non-O visa from "reason of marriage" to "reason of retirement", the immigration officer asked to see marriage certificate, wife's ID and wife's house registration.  Was told this is a one-time requirement when changing from marriage to retirement.  Might also apply to those extending a non-O visa previously for reason of marriage to any other reason.  Had I not been able to produce the required marriage documentation, the immigration officer would not have granted the extension for reason of retirement.  Might not matter in your case if you're not trying to extend your non-0 visa, but you might want to double check just in case.  Hopefully this will also help anyone else who might otherwise be caught unaware.

appreciate you.

in my case I will extending to an education visa so I assume this wouldn't be an issue since it's an ED-visa and not NON-O.

Edited by stoicccc