Drug stores now required to always have a pharmacist on duty

webfact

3 hours ago, John Drake said:

Well, this will shut down Boots almost immediately.

Ha ha. Boots does seem to be the worst offender. I never go to a small Boots for drugs because its usually a waste of time. I expect they will take the pharmacies out of the all the smaller stores and be like Watsons and probably close some of them altogether. When they first set up in Thailand during the 1997-98 financial crisis, they opened lots of stores around the country to see which worked best and closed down the duds when the leases ran out. Now they've expanded a lot again.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, John Drake said:

The Boots stores I frequently visit here in Bangkok, have always had closed for medicine sale, when no pharmacist in the shop.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Xonax said:

The Boots stores I frequently visit here in Bangkok, have always had closed for medicine sale, when no pharmacist in the shop.

I stopped going to Boots a couple of years ago, because you could see the curtain pulled down on the medicines behind the counter before you even entered. P&F does a better job of staffing their stores with pharmacists. And in an emergency, I will still go there to fill out my medicine list. But nowadays there is a better alternative in Bangkok. Just go to pharmacy row near Siriraj. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

I stopped going to Boots a couple of years ago, because you could see the curtain pulled down on the medicines behind the counter before you even entered. P&F does a better job of staffing their stores with pharmacists. And in an emergency, I will still go there to fill out my medicine list. But nowadays there is a better alternative in Bangkok. Just go to pharmacy row near Siriraj. 

Recently went to Watsons, Boots and Pure, no pharmacist in any and not lunch time. What do they get up to?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BritScot said:

This copies the law in the uk. However in the uk No pharmacists = can't even sell shampoo etc in the shop so shop is closed.

Not so. In UK, there are "Pharmacists", and there are "Dispensing Chemists"......different levels of certification and "competence“.

The shop can sell shampoo etc., no problem, and OTC (over the counter) drugs such as aspirin, with  o qualified person present. Many medications require to be "dispensed" in the presence of a DC, some hard or dangerpus drugs require the supervision of a Pharmacist......who may also ne qualofied to give medical advice and even minor procedures.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, John Drake said:

Up until a few months ago the beach area Boots in phuket had their med counter closed completely and only sold non meds. I’ve always found a pharmacist in Boots Pattaya/Bangkok and phuket’ town before, and if there isn’t one on duty they pull a blind down over the products. 
Last time in Jomtien a kid of about 14 served me !!! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

When I first came here, you get amphetamines in the form of slimming pills, codein mixed with paracetamol, tramadol, tranquillisiers pseudoephedrine etc without prescription,  Some of it like the codeine was openly out on the racks.

45  years ago I'd buy some Valium when I took the overnight bus to BKK.  Lots of other stuff was available, I'm sure.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

A pharmacy can only operate with a registered pharmacist in the shop. If a drug store does not have a pharmacist on standby while it is open, the pharmacist in charge of the shop will see his or her pharmacist licence suspended or revoked by the council, Kitti said. The revocation will automatically cancel the drug sale licence of the drug store, he explained.

The law also requires all pharmacies to carry the name tags of pharmacists on standby at all times, Kitti added.

Confusing , how many pharmacists are in the shop now or standby? Non registered, registered?

Standby is something different then being present in shop.

I dont get it. Just say pharmacy only sells medicine (by prescription) when a registered pharmacist is there.

Make a shift in what is real medicine (prescription only by doctor) or not. Only to be delivered when registered pharmacist is there.and otherwise not.

Pharmacy Owners are going to continue... and now the other issues, in Thailand, MD dispense medication, what will happen if only the Nurse or NP is on duty and seeing patients?

Edited by Rhys
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, thairookie said:

I have been told by a pharmacy operator that they cannot survive on selling medicine alone.  They need to sell groceries, including food and cosmetics.  More importantly, they need China tourists.

Mine sells penis shaped candles, I kid you not.

16 hours ago, webfact said:

A pharmacy can only operate with a registered pharmacist in the shop. If a drug store does not have a pharmacist on standby while it is open, the pharmacist in charge of the shop will see his or her pharmacist licence suspended or revoked by the council, Kitti said. The revocation will automatically cancel the drug sale licence of the drug store, he explained.

And I wonder how they will enforce this nationwide?

13 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Most will close then, even Fascino rarely has a pharmacist on duty in some branches

Correct.......All you non thinking cheerleaders for this , do realize this is a death sentence for most pharmacy's...

Edited by redwood1