Books You Are Reading Now Or Highly Recommend.

eek

Gets your paws on any Stuart Macbride novel for harmless ( extremely violent but with a sense of ironic humour ) fun.

Set in Aberdeen and extremely graphic.

Which Stuart McBride novel do you like Best ?

My favourite is Cold Granite .

Are you an Aberdonian ?

:o Wiley Coyote

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my favourite contemporary books is "The Power of One" by Bryce Courtenay. It's a story of growing up, courage, finding oneself, set against the South African troubles during & after WWII.

Another favourite is "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" by Ken Kesey. It's one of the few books that has a film version that's equally good. Classics - I like dark Orwellian/Huxley type things. I also love "East of Eden" by Steinbeck and some of the classic English women authors (Austen & the Brontes)

These are some of my favorite books too, and they are equally as "heavy" as anything that has been mentioned before in this thread. :o

Howdy,

Back in 1980 I read a book that sparked my interest in Asia.

Going After Cacciato

Written by author Tim O'Brien, set during the Vietnam War and is told from the point of view of the protagonist, Paul Berlin. The story traces the events that ensue after Cacciato, a member of Berlin's squad, decides to go AWOL by walking from Vietnam to France, through Asia. Cacciato, pronounced "catch-ee-ah-to," means "hunted"/"caught" in Italian.

Many times over the years I have felt myself in Cacciato shoes....usally after midnight in Sukumvit :o

Kind of an old one, but a good one.

Chung *j*

I've just discovered Micheal Connelly, a visitor left a couple of his books here and I picked up "The Poet" in Chiang Rai. One of the books I read was the sequel so I know who the bad guy is, but it's still got me in thrall. What more can you ask of a book?

I like all Thomas Harris' books but unfortunately the last one was sub standard.

My meal time reading is a copy of Collin's Encyclopedia of Military History, I read a page a meal. How come the new warlords still keep getting it wrong?

Wow! A lot of these are seriously worthy books. I'm sorry, I have to admit to liking books that are less heavy in general, though I have read some of the ones mentioned.

One of my favourite contemporary books is "The Power of One" by Bryce Courtenay. I've actually read all of his books (I tend to do that with authors I really like - Minette Walters, Stephen King - I like him! - , Gerald Seymour etc etc), but IMHO, this is the best. It's a story of growing up, courage, finding oneself, set against the South African troubles during & after WWII.

Another favourite is "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" by Ken Kesey. It's one of the few books that has a film version that's equally good. Classics - I like dark Orwellian/Huxley type things. I also love "East of Eden" by Steinbeck and some of the classic English women authors (Austen & the Brontes)

"cuckoo's Nest' is one of the best of 20th century lit...Kesey didn't realise it when he wrote it...the movie is also one of the best (featuring Brad Dourif and Danny DeVito as well as Big Jack) but Kesey refused to watch it as the narrative did not come from Chief Broom...it was centered around McMurphy...

when I was a logger working outside of Eugene OR I useta see Kesey regularly at the little shop where I bought beer on the way home from work...useta nod at him and he would acknowlege...sittin' out in the rain inna convertible car with the top down talkin' about goin' inta town to watch 'Juliette of the Spirits'...he organized an event at the university that featured Wm Borroughs...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

At the moment reading Garry D.Kilworth's Attack on the Redan....A "Fancy Jack" Crossman escapade. This is possibly for all the Richard Sharpe fans that are awaiting his next novel. Set in the Crimea, his 4th (?) in the series. Well worth it if you are into the period stuff.

I have also read the first 4 Boris Akunin novels, who's hero is Earnst Fanfornin, ( again forgive the spelling). Set in Russia, in mid to late Victorian times. Most enjoyable. I am awaiting the latest print in English of "Pelegia and the Black Monk". The heroine is a young nun.

When I get back to CM I'll also have the last 2 in the series "No 1 Ladies detective agency" Blue shoes of Happiness, and The Good Husband of Zebra Drive.

I am mid way through the David Dickinson series of Lord Francis Powercourt a detective during the late Victorian era, again another good read, and am looking forward to reading The Janissary Tree.

I must agree with other posters re: Phillip Pullman's "The Dark Materials Trilogy", an absolutely cracking page turner!!! (Harry Potter....eat your heart out)

John Masters, Loss of Eden Trilogy, Now God be thanked, Heart of War, By the green of the Spring, was set in a small community immediately prior to/during/after the First World War. Sowing the affect the war had on the community, and how it changed peoples lives. I would heartily reccommend this trilogy to anyone.

My favourites though are Steinbecks, Cannary Row and Sweet Thursday.

Wow! A lot of these are seriously worthy books. I'm sorry, I have to admit to liking books that are less heavy in general, though I have read some of the ones mentioned.

One of my favourite contemporary books is "The Power of One" by Bryce Courtenay. I've actually read all of his books (I tend to do that with authors I really like - Minette Walters, Stephen King - I like him! - , Gerald Seymour etc etc), but IMHO, this is the best. It's a story of growing up, courage, finding oneself, set against the South African troubles during & after WWII.

"cuckoo's Nest' is one of the best of 20th century lit...Kesey didn't realise it when he wrote it...the movie is also one of the best (featuring Brad Dourif and Danny DeVito as well as Big Jack) but Kesey refused to watch it as the narrative did not come from Chief Broom...it was centered around McMurphy...

when I was a logger working outside of Eugene OR I useta see Kesey regularly at the little shop where I bought beer on the way home from work...useta nod at him and he would acknowlege...sittin' out in the rain inna convertible car with the top down talkin' about goin' inta town to watch 'Juliette of the Spirits'...he organized an event at the university that featured Wm Borroughs...

I was gonna say you really are an old guy Toots but a quick Google showed Kesey died in 2001. Seems like he was around forever.

One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest would have to be my all time favorite book. The fact that Kesey wrote most of it on acid is simply amazing.

He did one other book that was OK - Sometimes a Great Notion - some people think that it was better than Cuckoo - but the rest was all garbage.

I agree with him that the movie version of One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest wasn't up to the book, but it was still good, and having the thing told from the point of view of the Chief probably wouldn't have worked on film.

I heard that Kesey was always bitter that he didn't make a lot of money off his writing because Cuckoo was his first and it was followed by mostly junk. I can't blame him. How would it feel to have written one of the best books of all time and have to keep working full-time to survive? :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

some of my faves:

- "she's come undone" by wally lamb

-"music for torching" by a.m. homes

-"naked" by david sedaris

-"a prayer for owen meany" by john irving

-"lovely bones" by alice sebold

-"atlas shrugged" by ayn rand

-"the wind up bird chronicales" by haruki murakami

-"a brief history of nearly everything" by bill bryson

-"human croquet" and others by kate atkinson

-"katherine" by anya seton

-"midnight's children" by salman rushdie

-"american psycho" by brett easton ellis

One of my favourite contemporary books is "The Power of One" by Bryce Courtenay.

The Tadpole Angel! What an excellent book :o

I agree this is a great thread. I'm surprised no one mentioned Tom Robbins. I would think his sarcasm suits many of the members here. Check out Villa Incognito-takes place in Laos/Thailand and Fierce Infidels home from hot Climates.

Just finished A.J. Cronin’s “Hatter’s Castle”. A fascinating Dickensian style novel about the decline and fall of a self-important tyrant in a Glasgow suburb during the late 19th century. Brodie, the tyrant, is a character one really wants to hate but Cronin leaves room for a little bit of pity. The best book I have read in the past year.

Just finished A.J. Cronin’s “Hatter’s Castle”. A fascinating Dickensian style novel about the decline and fall of a self-important tyrant in a Glasgow suburb during the late 19th century. Brodie, the tyrant, is a character one really wants to hate but Cronin leaves room for a little bit of pity. The best book I have read in the past year.

I've never read that one, though I read "The Citadel" many years ago & loved it. I'll give "Hatter's Castle" a try. Thanks for the recommendation. :o

1 Try Paulo Coelho's books........... The Zahir, Veronica Decides to Die, The Alchemist, The Witch of Portobello. Be Like a River, The Valkries, By the River Piedra I sat down and Wept. (I like Paulo Coelho's writing style. His books are very spiritual and intense, plus he's a profound writer. The character development in his books are sorta slow, but the quality and the intensity of the stories, more than make-up for the slow pace of the book.)

2 Empire of Debt:The Rise of an Epic Financial Crisis by William Bonner (This book talks about the American Empire and it's near collapse: how and why it will happen. This book isn't a novel, but it is witty and filled with sarcasm. It's a great read.)

3 The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell (I like this book because it teaches me how to create characters and write stories. It's written a long long time ago, so it's old English, but quiet interesting once you get used to it.)

I am not normally into medical crime thrillers but Coma by Robin Smith is an excellent read.

you mean Robin Cook? the same one that wrote also Fever, Brain and etc etc?

I read a few of his books in my younger days....had the same thoughts as you when I read the first (cant remember which one I read first)...but then I went and bought myself 3 more of his books..and have to say that although about different situations...theres too much similarity in the plots......I cant even tell which is which between Coma, Brain or Fever anymore.....

might work if you stop at only 1 of them :o

I am not normally into medical crime thrillers but Coma by Robin Smith is an excellent read.

you mean Robin Cook? the same one that wrote also Fever, Brain and etc etc?

I read a few of his books in my younger days....had the same thoughts as you when I read the first (cant remember which one I read first)...but then I went and bought myself 3 more of his books..and have to say that although about different situations...theres too much similarity in the plots......I cant even tell which is which between Coma, Brain or Fever anymore.....

might work if you stop at only 1 of them :o

Yes Robin Cook, not Smith. I must have been thinking about English cricket when we were half decent! I have only read Coma. I think i might stop at that!

1 Try Paulo Coelho's books........... The Zahir, Veronica Decides to Die, The Alchemist, The Witch of Portobello. Be Like a River, The Valkries, By the River Piedra I sat down and Wept. (I like Paulo Coelho's writing style. His books are very spiritual and intense, plus he's a profound writer. The character development in his books are sorta slow, but the quality and the intensity of the stories, more than make-up for the slow pace of the book.)

2 Empire of Debt:The Rise of an Epic Financial Crisis by William Bonner (This book talks about the American Empire and it's near collapse: how and why it will happen. This book isn't a novel, but it is witty and filled with sarcasm. It's a great read.)

3 The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell (I like this book because it teaches me how to create characters and write stories. It's written a long long time ago, so it's old English, but quiet interesting once you get used to it.)

I have read The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell which is a very interesting read. A great introduction to mythology and how these stories relate to to many other subjects.

Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. He also wrote The Tipping Point which i have not yet read. Blink is a real eye opener and might make you change the way you view things in everyday life.

How to be Idle by Tom Hodgkinson. The title alone should make you at least want to pick it up and read the synopsis. Well worth a read.

Easton Ellis' work is usually heavy-handed satire mocking the American Dream and modern lifestyles of the rich and vapid. Its usually as dull as ditchwater, but for "American Psycho" he threw in a lot of Marquis de Sade for the inevitable controversy and sales. Utter crap. :o

Easton Ellis' work is usually heavy-handed satire mocking the American Dream and modern lifestyles of the rich and vapid. Its usually as dull as ditchwater, but for "American Psycho" he threw in a lot of Marquis de Sade for the inevitable controversy and sales. Utter crap.

i disagree, i thought it was brilliant and hilarious. i know someone just like him (except for the murdering, i hope!), he hit the nail on the head for me! it was a bit sick but i thought that just added to it.

never read his other books.

If you like "gentle" historical crime ,I would recommend Lindsay Davis series about Marcus Didius Falco.

He travels all around the Empire,has a "normal domestic" life,job worries,children,in laws & animals that gives him grief.

However ,it is written in a wry.smile-able way.

An afternoon sort of book !

:o Wiley Coyote