What are some of the districts where I could get a taste of the ordinary Thai way of life?

Baron Samedi

Anywhere that doesn't cater to tourists.  

Riverboat Pier N10 / Pannock, get off the boat and just head West hop on the main road or the small sois or behind it and it's all markets and vendors catering to Thais.

Same with Nonthaburi Pier, hop off and start walking down the main road or wherever, and the whole area caters to Thais.

Go back to town via bus, and can hit the craft beer bars along the one bus route.  You'd be hard pressed to find a Westerner in any of them.

Check out IconSiam if you've never been there and that caters to mostly Thais, higher end ties although it has a normal priced lower level for everything.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

But.. What is ‘Thai Way of Life’ ???...

That's what I wanna find out.

It isn't Sukhumvit for sure. Nor is it rural Isaan.

That's for sure.

So indeed what is it?

What is the environment in which the average Thai city dweller lives ?

Dunno...????

Get off MRT @ Bang Khae, exit south side, be hungry, very hungry.  

Can't get any more of a local vibe than that.  Station on right of photo and that's all vendors down to it and beyond.  Along with behind the photo.

orca-image--1992213605.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Lorry said:

This is all very well, but describes a dying lifestyle.

Go to the Mall Thapa, hardly any farang there.  Walk around the condo towers there,  all Thais. (Not nice and not exotic)

Or try airport link Huamark, and Seacorn. (same)

Unfortunately,  this is the future of Bangkok's city Thais lifestyle.

They admire Singapore. Soulless and boring. 

Thais like it.

Singapore not at all boring if you know where to go. Regarding Bangkok and surrounding areas parts of Thonburi are still quite old style and interesting.

• Like 1

I live in Saphan Kwai which is pretty much local and yet close to the inner CBD, with BTS and MRT access. Technically it is still inside the outer fringe of the CBD area. Many, many local restaurants in the area and only a 10 minute walk to Chatuchak Weekend Market and of course only 2 stops from Lad Prao Central.

Victory Monument is another pretty local area a couple of stops closer to the inner CBD. 

Dusit is a lovely area to walk around as well if you get into the small soi's.

• Thanks 1

Thai living?   To me two ways living and how they think are separate,  I'm one when it comes to thinking Bangkok and Pattaya isn't a good indicator. 

As for living drive around the more congested the more run down the area pick one and ask if you can join them for a day or two.

First ask them if you can use their bathroom if it is a squat and stained over the titles, no water heater scoopy

Doo no shower.???? that is a good start. 

Edited by thailand49
  • Thumbs Up 1

Your probably looking for old school stuff. I like Chinatown, especially the shophouses and tearooms. Obviously, there is a lot of Chinese influence, but it can be Chinese-Thai.

After living on Sukhumvit, I moved to Chinatown for awhile and really liked it better.

• Like 1

With few exceptions, and you have to search them out, all of Thailand is 'real Thailand'.

Tourist areas are, well, tourist areas, geared to both domestic & foreign tourist.  The western tourists, many seem to hang in nightlife areas, visiting, farang managed bars & restaurants, and seem quite happy with sub western standard offerings while on holiday, or as an expat.  As 1 member here proves, since making the rounds and reports on such, and doesn't seem to venture much further from.

My experience anyway, why I don't even bother any more with, as Thais do everything better, even western food, vs the non experienced, non professional farang who thinks he can run a decent bar/restaurant.  Most fail miserably, hence the high turn over.  Thais, domestic tourist, smartly avoid.

If going to mall and Thai dominated shopping areas, they love western food, as the KFC, Sizzler & Pizza Co are full up at dining hrs.  Even StarCrap coffee.  Get out of the metros, and you find less 'globalization', if that's the word for it.  Go a bit further, and you'll get past that last 7-11, and you made it to true village life.  Many not having electric or running water (village provided).

When I first moved to the village, that 'town' had 1 deep well, and nothing piped to the homes.  You had to carry/wheel you daily, weekly supply back to the house.  We had a deep, drinkable well outside the actual village.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here is what you need- go to a  concert with a couple of thousand Thais, you will be the only foreigner there. Done it about 1200 times, never had any problem. Sadly only seen Lamyai 10 times. Went to this one in Dao Kanong Bkk

Edited by proton
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, proton said:

walking around areas with no foreigners is not engaging in the Thai lifestyle.

Fair point.

6 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Walk around along They slums - daytime only.

Did that around Wat Makkasan.

Followed a canal till I reached a long abandoned railway that lead me to Sukhumvit through slums. Friendly people there.

5 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

I live in Saphan Kwai which is pretty much local and yet close to the inner CBD, with BTS and MRT access. Technically it is still inside the outer fringe of the CBD area. Many, many local restaurants in the area and only a 10 minute walk to Chatuchak Weekend Market and of course only 2 stops from Lad Prao Central.

Victory Monument is another pretty local area a couple of stops closer to the inner CBD. 

Dusit is a lovely area to walk around as well if you get into the small soi's.

Sounds great.

Will do

Thx ????

5 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Your probably looking for old school stuff. I like Chinatown, especially the shophouses and tearooms. Obviously, there is a lot of Chinese influence, but it can be Chinese-Thai.

I'm looking for all kind of stuff really. I'm just having a Sukhumvit / Silom overdose right now ????

Funny you should mention Chinatown. I went there today. Pretty amazing indeed. The Ong Ang walking street / canal has soe really cool spots and amazing street art.

3 hours ago, JayBird said:

That's basically the life of my GF's highso friends.

Sounds nice but too sophisticated for me.

I spent my youth in those posh places. Horrible memories honestly. I wanted to go play outside and my parents wanted me to sit straight and use the appropriate place settings. Can't do this anymore...????